100-400 or a prime.......? Thoughts

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
Had a pleasant day out at a horse show on the weekend but struggled a bit! I was using my 40D [loving it more and more] a 70-200L + 1.4. I always seemed to be just too close or just too far away from the right 'frame'.
I have thought on and off about getting a 100-400L and followed various threads on the lens. It seems that it would cover a good range for me,[ horses, rugby] but what about a prime 300 or 400? The convenience and range of the zoom really appeals but how much difference is there in IQ. Bear in mind I shoot seriously [!] but for fun. I don't sell or publish but my greatest pleasure is for someone to say wow thats a great picture! They are never togs!!
Any thoughts!!

Cheers,

Dunc

I've always thought the prime 300 or 400's must be incredibly restrictive? that's a lot of zoom to be fixed at. If you were finding it difficult to frame at 70-200 it'll only be worse if you have less flexibility?

For rugby (and speedway in the summer months) I work with my 300 f4 on the 20D and the 70-200 f2.8 on the 40D. Works well for me, and I have to say I have no regrets about buying the 300mm lens either. Just means you have to be ready to switch cameras at a moments notice but I find one round the neck and the other over the left shoulder solves that problem.

Having said all that, I am giving serious consideration to the 100-400 as well! :bang:

*snip*
I always seemed to be just too close or just too far away from the right 'frame'. *snip*

The IQ of the bit you manage to frame with the Prime will be excellent but whether anybody will be interested in that fragment...... :shrug:

Ps. never seen the point of primes unless you can 100% control the shooting environment :rules:

100-400 would get my vote. You might not get the aperture, but it's still a sharp lens. Not prime sharp, but still, sharp enough? If not, then primes are the way forward.

I have the prime 400 and love it to bits, yes it can be a pain and restrictive but it makes you work harder and makes you think about your shots more. I went to the prime as I wanted the 70-200 and thought it wouldn't get used if I had the 100-400. I am glad I thought that because the 400 is probably my favourite lens. Right just need to get me a 300 f4 now when I get a few quid together. :D

I worry about f5.6 and rugby in the winter with the 100-400, hell I worry about it on the 300f4 (which I intend to buy and use on a stolen 400d)

100-400mm is a very nice lens but a bit of a beast to carry around. IQ from 200-280mm will comfortably beat a 70-200+1.4x TC.

However, as you own the 70-200+TC I would pick a prime. 300mm if you need IS or 400mm if you don't.

Just to add my tuppence - I recently bought the 100-400L [from the good man Kerso!] and am utterly and totally chuffed with it - the images are [compared to anything I've ever owned previously] pin-sharp, the range is excellent, and probably the only downside is the weight.

If you own two cameras, then yes, a prime will give you better IQ, and you can just swap to the 70-200 for the other shots, but for out and out convenience it's got to be the 100-400. [although I will admit that "convenience" is a bit of a moot point - my wife wonders how I can even carry my camera bag with that lens in it - she can barely lift it! :D]

You say you were always too close or too far away.

The 70-200 with a 1.4 is 98-280, so you are still going to be too close. It is a question of whether you need the extra range of the 400.

I would have thought you run the risk of finding the 100-400 a little slow for fast action stuff, though it is a cracking lens and a real favourite with many wildlife photographers.

We took one to Namibia and didn't regret carrying it, but the light in Namibia is usually superb.

You can't just stand nailed to one spot and hose photos off left right and centre with a prime - thats why the 100-400 is popular because people who are spectators first and foremost as they use them to stand in one spot.

If you want better sports photos then you have to use a f2.8 or f4 prime and work for it - look for the angles and framing you want, moving around a lot to capture the perfect image. Its hard work and you never have time for a tartan picnic rug and hamper full of sandwiches!

Next time you are at a major sporting event, watch the media guys at work and see how much effort they put in...

Hi and good morning,
Just a few words of thanks for all the comments, interesting reading and I still can't make up my mind! Got to get to work now, back later.

Cheers,

Duncan

i had this same dilemma - decision was as i own a 70-200/2.8IS and a 1.4xTC there's no point buying the 100-400 as i'm only buying that lens for the long end, and the 100-280mm @f/4 would be covered anyways, would be pointless to buy the zoom so went for the prime 400/5.6

glad i did, stunning lens (and light!)

I used to shoot a bit of rugby and football with a 70-200 plus t/c. It was fine but once I switched to a 300mm (f4 or f2.8) I've never gone back to the zoom. As desantnik said, you have to forward plan your shots a bit more, choosing your angles and shooting positions, but they do mean less messing about zooming during the action. The weight can be an issue as well. I've used 200 and 300mm primes and they are incredibly easy to handle, and fast to focus. I've not done a serious comparison, but I'd say a long prime is usually faster to focus than an equivalent zoom.

One lens, one focal length, one aperture (wide open) lets me concentrate on getting the timing of the shot right. I'd love to be able to switch between lenses/bodies but I am not quick enough for that.

With a 40D you can go to quite high ISO without a significant drop off in IQ. Combine that with the 100-400 IS and I think that the zoom's flexibilty will win all the time. OK the IQ will not be the same as a prime but IMHO it is well sharp enough!!

300 prime with a 1.4 convertor for a bit of flexibility, (2x at a push - but it does sorften the shots)

Back