24" x 20" Canvas - £19.99 Delivered

3-4 working days, apparently.... (y)

3-4 working days, apparently.... (y)

" md putts glasse down and says"

Cheers buddy Thats about what I thought. Normal with 7day;)

OK resume with pee taking :LOL:

MD(y) " Back on the vino"

Mine still hasn't turned up :shake:

Really? I was wondering why you hadn't left any feedback on it....I'd be on the phone come Monday if it still doesn't turn up..... maybe more to do with the incompetence of RM than them though....

Probably really really busy at those prices!

Hi Guy's have used snapmad twice now, and very pleased with quality:),, but do becareful with the wraparound, leave a good space all around......

This first one is a 20inx20in square and just made it in with no cropping...

20square.jpg

and this one was 12in x 16in and a very very small part of her dress went in the wrap..

copy1.jpg

Sue

Sorry not sure what happened with the double post.

Finally got mine - have to say it looks pretty damn good. Will try and take a pic of it later. It's incredibly cheap at that price.

There is a fair amount of wrap - not sure making a blank border would look that good unless you got the size exactly right to just be on the sides.

Yup, got mine as well, and more than pleased with it - for the person who asked, the frame is 30mm thick - They add on to this themselves with white canvas to wrap around the back. (y)

I am very tempted by this, but haven't had anything on canvas before. Are there limitations on what looks good? I am thinking about the following picture,

The cat can be lightened slightly, and the background made black, which would help with a square wrap-around, as I can create a border. However, is such a dark image a bad idea?

I am very tempted by this, but haven't had anything on canvas before. Are there limitations on what looks good? I am thinking about the following picture,

The cat can be lightened slightly, and the background made black, which would help with a square wrap-around, as I can create a border. However, is such a dark image a bad idea?

As far as i remember they ask that you dont submit images that have borders:)

As far as i remember they ask that you dont submit images that have borders:)

I can understand that. I print and stretch all my own canvases and hate working with borders, the stretching distorts the straight edges and it's a nightmare keeping it all lined up... much easier (and better result) with a wraparound.

You need to add on around 40mm all the way around (total 80mm) for them, but if your edges are black anyway, it's no problem - I think you might struggle to get a decent canvas out of this, as there isn't the same amount of colour graduation and definition in between shades as a print, so the the cat's head/back would probably look a bit 'mushy' where it blends to black....

My 2nd arrived this morning .(y)

Very happy with the two I have had so far.

MD(y)

You need to add on around 40mm all the way around (total 80mm) for them, but if your edges are black anyway, it's no problem - I think you might struggle to get a decent canvas out of this, as there isn't the same amount of colour graduation and definition in between shades as a print, so the the cat's head/back would probably look a bit 'mushy' where it blends to black....

Thanks, I should have been clearer, that the border I was intending on adding would have been black, on the top and two sides to square it out and to be indistinuishable to the current background.

Thanks for the second comment, it kinda confirms what I was thinking anyway, that getting any kind of print on this might be difficult. I tested a 6x4 at home (albeit not a great printer sometimes), the forehead is lost slightly.

Ordered 2 got them today i am very happy with them.

A real bargain if you ask me.... they're probably wondering where all the orders are coming from... :LOL:

wow this might have come at the right time!

So for you who got an order is the quality good enough to get prints done for customers??

Got mine this week and must admit I'm surprised at the quality for the price, will definitely use these again and might try out their prints as well.

wow this might have come at the right time!

So for you who got an order is the quality good enough to get prints done for customers??

Yes,IMO.

A couple more points you should consider first which I don't think have been mentioned yet...

1. Has the canvas been laminated? This may be a corner that has been cut to keep the price down. Apart from enhancing the appearance, lamination (liquid or film) is important for abrasion and UV protection of the image. Also, have they used cheaper, less light fast, inks instead of the Epson/Canon/HP/Whatever originals... this might make lamination even more important, you don't want your canvases turning green in a clients conservatory after a couple of years! :puke:

2. Is the stretch nice and tight? I'm assuming that they're stretched onto solid frames rather than stretcher bars at that price? If you flick the middle of the back with your finger it needs to be tight enough to sound like a drum. The canvas will relax over time and if it's not stretched tight enough can start to sag and wrinkle (particularly if it's a bigger one). If that happens then you may have to be prepared to restretch it for the client in a year or two. To lessen the risk, you could tell the client not to hang it in a place where the temperature fluctuates a lot, such as over a radiator.

Hopefully the above two points aren't an issue but I thought it worth mentioning in case it helps...

A couple more points you should consider first which I don't think have been mentioned yet...

1. Has the canvas been laminated? This may be a corner that has been cut to keep the price down. Apart from enhancing the appearance, lamination (liquid or film) is important for abrasion and UV protection of the image. Also, have they used cheaper, less light fast, inks instead of the Epson/Canon/HP/Whatever originals... this might make lamination even more important, you don't want your canvases turning green in a clients conservatory after a couple of years! :puke:

2. Is the stretch nice and tight? I'm assuming that they're stretched onto solid frames rather than stretcher bars at that price? If you flick the middle of the back with your finger it needs to be tight enough to sound like a drum. The canvas will relax over time and if it's not stretched tight enough can start to sag and wrinkle (particularly if it's a bigger one). If that happens then you may have to be prepared to restretch it for the client in a year or two. To lessen the risk, you could tell the client not to hang it in a place where the temperature fluctuates a lot, such as over a radiator.

Hopefully the above two points aren't an issue but I thought it worth mentioning in case it helps...

looks like an order is called for :)

That's a very good post - what exactly is it that's used to laminate them with?

That's a very good post - what exactly is it that's used to laminate them with?

I use THIS stuff, three coats applied with a roller before stretching. Protects the image and gives it a nice finish too. It may be possible to use it on a stretched canvas, I'm not sure how smoothly it would go around the edges of the wrap... I've never tried! :shrug:

The other way of doing it is by bonding a film onto the surface of the canvas in a hot laminator like THIS, I'd love one but don't do nearly enough to justify the cost.

I think I read somewhere about a spray that can be used on canvases that are already stretched... but I've never looked into it so can't offer a link I'm afraid.

hi
Flashman, what printer are you running and what canvas/ stretcher bars?
Have you got a decent supplier, I could try?
It took me ages to get true colours from my HP (that matched the monitor)
Are you using a RIP, if so which one.

Apologies for the questions mate, not many people know about large formats.

cheers
Andy

hi
Flashman, what printer are you running and what canvas/ stretcher bars?
Have you got a decent supplier, I could try?
It took me ages to get true colours from my HP (that matched the monitor)
Are you using a RIP, if so which one.

Epson 9900 with Epson's own Water Resistant Matte Canvas. I've tried others but have got the most decent consistent results with Epson media.

I normally make my own frames with THIS (Lion are a great supplier) and use a Quickmate stretcher to get the canvas nice and tight and even. Been making them for two years and haven't had any start to sag... yet.... :cautious:

My RIP is Focus Shiraz but I normally just print straight from Photoshop unless I'm doing a big batch.

... not many people know about large formats.

That would include me too... I just press buttons and pray. :D

Just about to order one today. Bit concerned with how much I might lose with the wrap. The photo I want is on a white BG so adding x amount should be ok.

How much should I add on in total?

Just about to order one today. Bit concerned with how much I might lose with the wrap. The photo I want is on a white BG so adding x amount should be ok.

Add a total of 80mm to width and height - 40mm all the way around, but some more wouldn't do any harm.

They HERE suggest the following.
You have chosen a canvas print. This means that your image will be stretched around a frame of your chosen dimensions which has a depth of 30mm.

PLEASE ENSURE THAT THE MAIN SUBJECT OF THE IMAGE HAS ADEQUATE SPACE AROUND IT TO ALLOW FOR FOLDING AROUND THE FRAME - in other words, please remember to allow 2x35mm=70mm in both the width and the height to allow for the edges. Please remember that the image will lose 30mm all round, so please do not upload images that contain subject matter close to the edge. Canvas images tend to look better if you allow plenty of space for the subject.

PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT IMAGES WITH BORDERS.

Last edited:
Ah ok thats great cheers. So if I resize my image to 24 x 16 then increase canvas size by 75mm in width and height I should be ok?? Or do i need to resize again after increasing canvas size...

I'm sure there must be an easy way!

cheers

I'm sure there must be an easy way!

There is! Genuine Fractals has a 'Gallery Wrap' feature where you just specify the depth of the canvas and it does it all for you, resizes and adds image content to the edges... dead easy but not as good a result as doing it yourself.

CS5's Content Aware Fill often works pretty well for adding content into an expanded border too.

....and what they say is true - don't try and get your subject near the edges of the canvas, it just doesn't look good. Some breathing space all around is the way to go. I'm sure Flashman will confirm this....

....and what they say is true - don't try and get your subject near the edges of the canvas, it just doesn't look good. Some breathing space all around is the way to go. I'm sure Flashman will confirm this....

YUP! (y)

Going to give this a try tonight... Purely to see what the quality of the canvas and print is... The search for the right pic is now on.

I got mine today and very pleased with the results as well. I had planned to take a pic but as its bubblewrapped and a present for someone else I thought i'd best not!

Absolutely 100% satisfied though (y)

Back