3rd Party Flashguns

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Hi
I am finally getting a flashgun for my 40d.
Unfortunately I simply cannot afford a canon unit.

Any suggestions ? My budget is up to 100

Cheers for all your help

Check out the many, recent threads here on the Yongnuo 560-III... can only recommend it, if you're looking for a manual flash.

For iTTL flashes, Yongnuo makes some, but I think they are slightly above your budget.
And I have no experience with them! :D

A good place for reviews... here the 560-III: http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn-560-iii-review/

Cheers for the reply.

I think I need and e-TTL flash manual would confuse my simply brain
Just seen the yn565rx looks ok and cheap to boot

I can easily win any "simplest brain" contest! :D

Guess, it comes down to, what you shoot. I only shoot static scenes with controlled light and camera on manuel, so for me a manuel flash made most sense.

For changing scenes and lights, I would probably go with one of the programs and use an e-TTL flash.

For remotes, look at the Yongnuo 622... some good threads here on tp as well!

Happy hunting!

Thanks again, I am sure some lovely person will have something in the classifieds that takes my fancy over the next few days

I have tested YN 568 IIs and I would not want to use them on camera. Auto flash exposure was way off compared with 580EX mk1. 600EX was bang on precise. The YN flashes are best off camera.

There are some affordable older gen Canons on ebay. Look at those.

I have and use a Youngnuo 468ii both on and off camera. It works well with wansen remote triggers off my Canon 1000d. Exposure is pretty close but it is ettl so you can use exposure compensation and it's head is auto zoom

Thanks for all the help, there seems to be a few more contenders than I thought
Down to 2 I think as I am tight
Nissin DI622 mk ii
Yongnuo yn565ex

Damn it 2 more to add Yn568exii Sunpak PZ42X
So close to a short list

Last edited:
Damn it 2 more to add Yn568exii Sunpak PZ42X
So close to a short list

Nissin 466mk2- poor built quality, battery door is flimsy, noisy charging, wireless slave only £110

yongnuo 565- ok build quality, bad rep for failure, can connect battery pack (not useful to you), £80

yongnuo 568mk2- good build quality, can't connect battery pack, has HSS (might never use it), wireless master in mk2 version £130

never heard of the sunpak- but i'd say get the 565

Nissin 466mk2- poor built quality, battery door is flimsy, noisy charging, wireless slave only £110 yongnuo 565- ok build quality, bad rep for failure, can connect battery pack (not useful to you), £80 yongnuo 568mk2- good build quality, can't connect battery pack, has HSS (might never use it), wireless master in mk2 version £130 never heard of the sunpak- but i'd say get the 565
Thanks for the excellent info.

Back