500mm lens backpacks

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
My 500mm f4 has arrived and a beast it is too! Now I just need something to carry it in! I know the Flip side 500 and 600 but any other recommendations?

Cheers!

Lowepro 600 AW series, brilliant ... will take camera, lens, TC without a hitch :)

Yeah that's the one I meant :) I was wondering if there are any others to look at. The 600AW looks huge! I mean I know it has to be pretty big for the lens but that looks a bit too big. If anything I was thinking the Flipside 500...the cost is the biggest problem with these backpacks though, the one you suggested is over £230!

I've a 600AW to carry mine around at the weekend. I like the fact it can take the lens attached to the camera and with the lens hood in the shooting position, ready for quick shooting. I dislike the fact it has almost no other usable storage. I don't know why but these days Lowepro seem to like their pockets tight like a pair of lyrca cycling shorts. So the 600AW has a front pocket but I can just about use it to squeeze in a 1.4x and my mini binoculars and do the zip up. Compare the Manfrotto TLB-600 where the front storage can actually take an extra body and multiple accessories - the downside is it is a shorter bag so needs the lens hood stowing.

I need to buy a bag for int. travel, which I suspect will be a Thinktank Airport.

Last edited:
So the 600AW has a front pocket but I can just about use it to squeeze in a 1.4x and my mini binoculars and do the zip up.

In the pocket, I get binoculars, 1.4 and 1.7 TC's, lens rain cover, spare batteries and a cereal bar or two ... then the big tripod and gimbal fits on one side, beanbag strapped to the other, leaving several straps to take other items, though personally I don't need more.
By reversing the hood of the 500 f4 I can fit an additional body on top of the main body & lens with some padding in between.
TBH if I am going to be using the 500 f4 I'm unlikely to be wanting to take loads of other stuff.
I've got another big roller/backpack that will take more but I wouldn't want to be carrying that full very far :D
The 600AW is specifically designed for a long lens and body.

Okay i can fit in a spare battery, extender and binoculars. But it wouldn't take much more fabric to make that front pocket far more flexible.

That's a point actually. When I go back to my parents/down to my girlfriend in Cornwall/on holiday abroad, this is the only bag I'll have. My tamrac that was stolen used to hold my camera with 300mm f4 attached, an extra lens, my 15" laptop, a pair of on ear headphones, my phone charger, my book, a bottle of water and some sncks. I'd really need something that does all that rather than just holding the lens :/ And it needs to be able to cabin luggage. I may end up having to look at the Tamrac one Jason said even though it's expensive :/

I use the 600aw and it's great.
I can get my 600f4 with tc and camera attached.
I also have a thinktank bag which carries all the above plus loads more which I use when I'm traveling.
Fits B.A. Requirements for hand luggage.

Last edited:
He
Anyone here seen the Benro Falcon 400 or 800 in the flesh? I'm about to pull the trigger but would appreciate a second opinion. OP might find it a good option.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Benro-Falcon-400-Backpack-Camera/dp/B0116PKV06/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=416KE-G6lIL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR108,160_&refRID=0M1FD8AHDNGZCAFCDXH3

Has a few useful big pockets on the side and it comes in camo if that is something you would find beneficial.

Can't find a review of it anywhere, sorry.
Hey they look good the camo ones £40 cheaper

Another one to add to the mix as I had the same dilemma is the "Manfrotto TLB-600 PL Pro Light Telephoto Backpack"

I already had the excellent think tank glass taxi for my 300 F2.8, so I went to the shop to try there bigger glass limo as I had read it was a tight squeeze? But no way does it fit the 500 with the body attached like it says it does and I wanted to leave my TC 1.4/1.7 on as well?

This Manfrotto one fits with my D810 plus any of the converters attached with room to spare?

It a big old bag but very well made and the padding is excellent !

A very quick snap I took with my phone next to my glass taxi backpack!

20160203_184125.jpg

Some better pics of it here?

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd...ight-Telephoto-Backpack_MAN-MB-PL-TLB-600.htm

Last edited:
Thanks, already ordered the Lowepro 500 now :) shame it didn't arrive for today, the one sunny day this bank holiday weekend! Oh well guess I won't be going out today then!

You'll like it its a cracking bag!

Just hope it can also fit my 15in laptop...:/ it's a new dell xps 15 and is touted as being the smallest 15in there is, more like a 13in...so I'm hopeful!

Just hope it can also fit my 15in laptop...:/ it's a new dell xps 15 and is touted as being the smallest 15in there is, more like a 13in...so I'm hopeful!
I only have a toshiba chrome book but that fits easily just checked.Its overall size is 13.5x9 inches if thats of any help.

Mine seems to be 14.06 x 9.27. I haven't a clue in inches so I don't know how much bigger mine is than yours...doesn't sound too different though. We'll see when it comes :)

I use the Lowepro 600AW with a Canon 5D3 with battery grip and 500mm f/4 L IS attached. It will fit with the hood on (doesn't need to be reversed).

Can fit with 1.4x TC at a squeeze, but it is a big bag.

I am after a smaller bag that will take the lens with the hood reversed so would me interested in your 500AW when it arrives.

I use the Lowepro 600AW with a Canon 5D3 with battery grip and 500mm f/4 L IS attached. It will fit with the hood on (doesn't need to be reversed).

I am after a smaller bag that will take the lens with the hood reversed so would me interested in your 500AW when it arrives.

I'll post some pics when it arrives. I've only got an entry level body with no grip at the mo as my previous equipment was stolen, but I have a 1.4tc. I'm sure the lens plus tc plus body won't fit, but the lens with tc might, with the body separate.

I maybe interested if you choose to sell it, I have a tamrac super Tele backpack and it takes my D810 and 500 VR hood reversed and I understand the 600AW would take it with hood in position ?

I understand the 600AW would take it with hood in position ?

It might just but without any TC fitted, however I would be a bit concerned about the stress on the hood/lens-front ... carrying the weight of the camera and lens and being put down on the ground etc.

It might just but without any TC fitted, however I would be a bit concerned about the stress on the hood/lens-front ... carrying the weight of the camera and lens and being put down on the ground etc.
Thanks for that Roger, I always thought they were quite a bit longer, to be fair since getting an aqua tech lens cap and ditching the big Nikon cover its much quicker and easier to get it out bag and shoot quickly if something comes up on route so the tamrac is maybe not going anywhere soon

Thanks for that Roger, I always thought they were quite a bit longer, to be fair since getting an aqua tech lens cap and ditching the big Nikon cover its much quicker and easier to get it out bag and shoot quickly if something comes up on route so the tamrac is maybe not going anywhere soon

I was thinking about a lens cap for the 500mm instead of the hood...just looked up those that you mentioned..£35 for a bit of silicone??? They certainly know how to rip you off when they think you have the money to afford a big lens!

Any other alternatives to the hood?

Maybe because mine was second hand/not the VR version it doesn't have one as nothing like that was in the box. I'll have a look for a spare one online somewhere thanks.
Ah, I suspect the silicone cap will be a lot cheaper :)

I was thinking about a lens cap for the 500mm instead of the hood...just looked up those that you mentioned..£35 for a bit of silicone??? They certainly know how to rip you off when they think you have the money to afford a big lens!

Its actually a lot more robust that I expected it to be if I am honest and was pleasantly surprised with it, still don't think they should be quite that much but really do make a difference than the big cloth drawstring bag / cover that goes over the hood.

Also when I was debating about getting one I stopped myself and said its a lens worth over £4k even now and I am debating whether to spend £25 - £30 on it ;) I soon pressed order (and you can return for a refund if not happy with it

Also when I was debating about getting one I stopped myself and said its a lens worth over £4k even now and I am debating whether to spend £25 - £30 on it ;) I soon pressed order (and you can return for a refund if not happy with it

Haha you're right but this lens is on 27 month interest free credit card and will cost me my whole christmas bonus from Christmas just gone and next Christmas too, so it's not like I can easily afford it and have lots of spare money floating around, especially after having being burgled! ;) Still, it's the principle of £30 for it. I work in the toy industry and we have some products made of similar materials, it's incredible the markup! That cap won't cost them more than 4p to make I reckon...that's a 74900% markup if I've worked that out correctly haha!

Well the bag arrived but you're not going to fit your 600mm in there. Here's the 500mm with hood reversed...if I really squeezed it, I could leave the 1.4TC on but it really would be very tight. Even without the TC on the lens is pushing against the top.

2016-03-31_08-05-06 by Chris Cotton, on Flickr

Lenscoat do a front lens cap. I picked up one for £10 at bird fair last year. It's made from neoprene incorporating a front protective disc. It slips on and off much easier that the nikon draw string one you get with the lens. It was definitely worth £10 as it's made things easier. It's now small enough to fit in my coat pocket so I can put it on when walking about and quickly take it off.

Thanks Chris...the least I'd want is the 500mm with body attached and hood reversed. Though if the hood is reversed I'd want the 1.4xTC attached as well...

Tricky finding the ideal bag...perhaps I should take up sewing?

Only just yesterday received my 600aw for my 600mm lens. Looks to be a superb bag. Fits nicely. :)

Only just yesterday received my 600aw for my 600mm lens. Looks to be a superb bag. Fits nicely. :)

Oi, hijacking my thread ;) Nah just kidding. The quality on my 500 seems very good so I assume the 600 is just as good. Out of curiosity, how does your lens fit? As I said with the 500, my bare 500mm lens only just fits and pushes against the top of the backpack.

Oi, hijacking my thread ;) Nah just kidding. The quality on my 500 seems very good so I assume the 600 is just as good. Out of curiosity, how does your lens fit? As I said with the 500, my bare 500mm lens only just fits and pushes against the top of the backpack.

I can fit the 600mm and D5 in, with one section of the hood attached. But the larger piece wont fit. I am now deciding what to do. Reverse the hoods or just clip the second hood to the outside.

Back