500mm lens backpacks

My 500 F4 VR fits into my 500AW with the D810 attached (hood reversed).

It is a tight ish fit - I have it down the middle of the bag with other smaller lenses at either side.

Dave.

Wow really?? There's no way I imagine I could fit the body attached. I'll give it a go but it must be absolutely jammed in!

Actually the FL version is 387mm, the VR 394mm and mine 394mm :confused:

Really? Mine says 394mm and the VR one is 385 or something. That's only 1cm...where did you get the measurements from?
T' Internet :)

My 500 F4 VR fits into my 500AW with the D810 attached (hood reversed).

It is a tight ish fit - I have it down the middle of the bag with other smaller lenses at either side.

Dave.
Do you have any pics please Dave I couldn't see how I could fit my with body attached it didn't seem too clever on its own (that might have been before I had my aquatech lens cap and the large baggy draw string sleeve over the hood

Mine is a snug fit - but easy enough to get in / out.

I rotate the collar so that the lens foot is level with the battery door side of the camera and lock it down. Then I put it in the bag and rotate the camera / lens to the right (as in the picture) to stop the bracket protruding.

Last edited:
Mine is a snug fit - but easy enough to get in / out.

I rotate the collar so that the lens foot is level with the battery door side of the camera and lock it down. Then I put it in the bag and rotate the camera / lens to the right (as in the picture) to stop the bracket protruding.
Thanks Dave appreciate the feedback, I changed my foot to a kirk one which is not so tall which would also help I guess.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, without spending huge money, I think there's three versions of the Nikkor 500mm f4 (?), which Nikkor 500mm might you recommend for birding/wildlife please ? Thank you.

pete

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, without spending huge money, I think there's three versions of the Nikkor 500mm f4 (?), which Nikkor 500mm might you recommend for birding/wildlife please ? Thank you.

pete

All three versions have a good reputation for image quality even wide open Peter so I think the only consideration is budget, condition and how you feel about older lenses ... I have the latest VR version and am very happy with it :)

pete

If you have a look at my thread about the 1.4tc you might not want to get the ed ii...it's up to you. Look at Dragonfly's posts on that thread. I'll keep you informed if I find out any more later.

Last edited:
Back