Notice Account Security Advice

Evidently so @ShinySideUp ! Yes, although we Admins & Mods discussed getting rid of it many times, it was felt necessary to keep it to avoid infecting the rest of the site with the content that is posted there. That some people never venture outside it is a matter that they might ponder on themselves...

I’ve set up the two step security (with email verification) and even though I’m logged in I randomly got yesterday and today verification passes sent to me. I wonder if it’s a glitch or somebody attempting to login here :eek:

Personally I just use the passwords generated with Safari, they are saved in my key chain so available on all my Apple devices. And FWIW they are pretty long with numerous letters numbers and other keys thrown in.

I’ve set up the two step security (with email verification) and even though I’m logged in I randomly got yesterday and today verification passes sent to me. I wonder if it’s a glitch or somebody attempting to login here :eek:
No idea about that I'm afraid. If it becomes an issue then it may be worth switching it off again, but I've not seen or been made aware of any hacking attempts the last few days.

for password just google with its super hard password and the password manager :)

While the advice about using 2FA and (especially) not using the same password on different sites is excellent, the suggestion to regularly change passwords goes against National Cyber Security Centre guidance.

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/passwords/updating-your-approach
That's useful guidance, but we need to work with what we have available - passwords and 2FA. Whilst the complexity argument is indeed flawed by human behaviour, it doesn't alter the fact that there are 26 upper case characters, 26 lower case, 10 numeric characters, and (depending on character set) a number of special characters. Consequently as in any cryptographic algorithm, by and large simple character replacement can only take you so far. The longer and more complex the password, the easier it is for the hacker to fall foul of the limited number of failed logins the target system allows. However with complexity comes the desire to write down or store the password, which undermines its effectiveness with a new vulnerability.. For this reason, I like the use of a number of discrete words separated by numbers and characters., to achieve semantic complexity rather than character-set complexity. At least that's my choice. I also like 2FA and always use Face or Fingerprint authentication where possible.

That's useful guidance, but we need to work with what we have available - passwords and 2FA. Whilst the complexity argument is indeed flawed by human behaviour, it doesn't alter the fact that there are 26 upper case characters, 26 lower case, 10 numeric characters, and (depending on character set) a number of special characters. Consequently as in any cryptographic algorithm, by and large simple character replacement can only take you so far. The longer and more complex the password, the easier it is for the hacker to fall foul of the limited number of failed logins the target system allows. However with complexity comes the desire to write down or store the password, which undermines its effectiveness with a new vulnerability.. For this reason, I like the use of a number of discrete words separated by numbers and characters., to achieve semantic complexity rather than character-set complexity. At least that's my choice. I also like 2FA and always use Face or Fingerprint authentication where possible.
There are multiple vectors of attack against passwords (including shoulder surfing, network sniffing, brute force, re-use, etc.). Using very long/complex passwords - allied to a limited number of permitted failed logins - will go some way to redressing brute force attacks, although most hackers will be using Rainbow Tables these days, which considerably reduces the effectiveness of long/complex passwords or passphrases

What I was referring to above was the suggestion to change passwords on a regular basis. The main benefit of changing passwords is to limit the window of opportunity during which a compromised password can be used. However, the reality is that most attackers will utilise compromised authentication credentials within a very short period of time of their compromise, and the downsides of forcing regular password changes (people choosing less secure passwords, guessable passwords (e.g. going from "password1" to " password2" to "password3") and/or writing them down) more than offsets the increased security from regular changes

When setting up any new security please remember that not everyone uses a mobile phone or mobile device, either through choice or down to a disability. This often makes two step authentication very awkward to say the least. Biometric security also does not work reliably for people with certain disabilities/illnesses.

When setting up any new security please remember that not everyone uses a mobile phone or mobile device, either through choice or down to a disability. This often makes two step authentication very awkward to say the least. Biometric security also does not work reliably for people with certain disabilities/illnesses.
Noted @Adrian Jones which is why we would prefer people to do whatever they can to protect their accounts themselves, which can also include requesting us to set their account to exclude access to the classifieds/marketplace if they wish

While the advice about using 2FA and (especially) not using the same password on different sites is excellent, the suggestion to regularly change passwords goes against National Cyber Security Centre guidance.

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/passwords/updating-your-approach
Not quite true. It states that requesting customers to frequently change Password can be bad; "Many systems will force users to change their password at regular intervals, typically every 30, 60 or 90 days. This imposes burdens on the user." This can result in users just using slight variations each change or other short cuts.

Dave

Not quite true. It states that requesting customers to frequently change Password can be bad; "Many systems will force users to change their password at regular intervals, typically every 30, 60 or 90 days. This imposes burdens on the user." This can result in users just using slight variations each change or other short cuts.

Dave

My brother was head of IT at a large city council, when a new system was being installed frequently changing passwords ever couple of months was kicked into touch. It was said to be more trouble than it was worth, with people constantly asking IT to reset a forgotten password, writing them down on the desk and people just using the same one and adding a number on the end incrementally.

I know from experience at my last place of work you could tell how long people had worked there by the number on the end of a password, most started a 1 then when forced to change went to 2 and so on.

Dave
Doesn't matter whether you say "frequently" or "regularly" - the point is that forcing users to change passwords (other than immediately after a known compromise) is counterproductive and is more likely to weaken security than to strengthen it.

I guess something like a Yubikey would be the way around that, but it would depend on the forum software supporting it.

Doesn't matter whether you say "frequently" or "regularly" - the point is that forcing users to change passwords (other than immediately after a known compromise) is counterproductive and is more likely to weaken security than to strengthen it.
Which is why I included the quote with the numbers. The link you provided to the NCSC might be useful for TP management if they have not already studied it.

Dave

We have studied it, thanks, and I acknowledged it's usefulness. We are at present trying to avoid making life harder for members whilst there are easy solutions to improver account security. If we feel the need for tighter protection, we will dig deeper.

We are at present trying to avoid making life harder for members whilst there are easy solutions to improver account security.
Indeed - there are three factors at play in any security scenario - "Cost", "Security" and "Ease of Use". You can never optimise all three, and for any given context it's a case of finding the right balance between these conflicting requirements.

i got sick of trying to remember passwords so i have a system for passwords on different websites, say my amazon account i use every other letter of the name of the website so in this case its aao, then i add my first car registration that i can remember( this is obviously a mixture of letters and numbers), add a character at the end and bobs your uncle, every website i visit has a unique password but something i can remember

Back