America 1939-1943...in colour

Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, if not I'm sure a mode will move it.

Wonderful collection of reproduced prints from slides taken during the Depression
Click Here

That's a truly timeless collection and contains some fantastic images and shows what was achievable with colour, even so long ago.

stunning images

Always loved early colour film, wish they still did a plate version of it.
Shorpy.com also have some nice early colour stuff as well.

Can you imagine the comments if these had been posted for C&C, wonky horizons, shadows under the chin, no rule of thirds etc :LOL:. These are fantastic though and really document history. When I was holiday in Torquay last week, I just started taking lots of photos around the harbours, outside bars with people in them just so in 30 or 40 years me or my my family can look back and see what life was like in 2010.

Superb. Mesmirizing stuff. (y)(y)

Would love to know if those kids in pic 68 are still alive?

shows what was achievable with colour, even so long ago.

Always loved early colour film, wish they still did a plate version of it.
Shorpy.com also have some nice early colour stuff as well.

I think its worth mentioning what most of this film actually is, because after 85 years, on the 1st of December this year Kodachrome will effectively no longer exist.
I've managed to shoot 4 rolls of 35mm Kodachrome in my short film career, and there really is nothing else like it.
The shots on Shorpy are Large Format 5x4 and ****ing beautiful, I don't feel that the disappearance of a clearly fabulous product.....is any kind of progress at all..

Not much different in parts to this day. We still have the flat fronted / roofed stores and even hitch posts for the horses. Then I am in butt dingle nowhere.

Thanks for sharing Frank :)

Some interesting PP image merging on this set of the Siege of Leningrad 1941-1944

http://pics.livejournal.com/sergey_larenkov/gallery/00002x43

s640x480

The entire collection and more are available on Flickr in the Library of Congress collection. It'll take you several days to look through them all :) There are literally thousands of images in that collection.

Back