Another Virgin media post

Can you not keep the old box and plug it back in when you want to watch the old recordings?

my friend got the new box last year and the old box stopped working once it had arrived, it came up with a message saying there was a problem with the system and to call their technical team. I don't think you can have both at the same time. Assume the box has got some sort of ID and they block it from use

Might be worth making a call and explaining the situation. I'm sure it's possible to run both boxes side by side - just a matter of getting them to push a couple of buttons.

Might be worth making a call and explaining the situation. I'm sure it's possible to run both boxes side by side - just a matter of getting them to push a couple of buttons.

My father in law has one of each box in different rooms all working fine.

When the new V6 box is activated Vam should deactivate the old tivo box.
If you want to run them both at the same time technically you should pay the extra £5 for VMs version of multi room.

We have multi room and it still works fine, didn't have to change anything as when we ordered it asked us which box we were swapping over, anyway it was waiting for me when I got home from work and all went well till I tried to pair the remote with the TV which doesn't seem to want to pair, its perfect for the V6 box bit wont seem to connect and control the actual TV so will let the missus sort that one in the morning.

When the new V6 box is activated Vam should deactivate the old tivo box.
If you want to run them both at the same time technically you should pay the extra £5 for VMs version of multi room.

You can run the old box without subscription but you get the very basic channels only, at least we do in the guest room.

You can run the old box without subscription but you get the very basic channels only, at least we do in the guest room.

I'm guessing it's the non encrypted channels that still work.

Id guess any old prerecorded programs prior to the box being replaced will be unwatchable due to encryption.

Certainly the recorded programs on sky boxes were tied to the encryption of a valid viewing card for example.

Now, what to do with the old Tivo box and superhub??? I would have thought VM would want them back, but no, so do I just dispose with the rubbish.

Our recycling collections take this sort of stuff when they collect the glass and cans, might ask them if they take it, and funnily I was just reading an advert locally, someone trying to sell this same kit, don't VM send a signal to it before you set the new stuff up rendering it useless HAHA

Our recycling collections take this sort of stuff when they collect the glass and cans, might ask them if they take it, and funnily I was just reading an advert locally, someone trying to sell this same kit, don't VM send a signal to it before you set the new stuff up rendering it useless HAHA
There used to be (most likely illegal) ways to get around it. I used to know a guy that could hook you up.. He'd even provide a warranty :D

But then also I imagine there is also a market for replacement boxes for spares or replacement when vm want to charge. I know second hand sky boxes can be reactivated to your account at request by sky.

Last edited:
I’m very impressed with our V6 box so far, it’s miles quicker than the TiVo and the six tuners have already come in useful. My wife likes to record about three different things on a Sunday evening and if we wanted to watch a live program on another channel, with the old box we’d have to cancel one of them. Couldn’t believe how small it was when it was delivered either.

Ordered mine the other day, should be delivered to the local spar by the 22nd.

Ordered mine the other day, should be delivered to the local spar by the 22nd.
You won’t be disserpointed, it’s like night and day, super quick! I was expecting just a new tv box, but it came with a new router and 2 power line adapters. I’m a wheelchair user but still managed to get it up and running in about an hour.

You won’t be disserpointed, it’s like night and day, super quick! I was expecting just a new tv box, but it came with a new router and 2 power line adapters. I’m a wheelchair user but still managed to get it up and running in about an hour.
I've had a new router for a couple of years so hopefully it's just the box.

I've had a new router for a couple of years so hopefully it's just the box.

It will come with the latest super hub Foggy, and it allows the fastest broadband ever, with my old hub I was lucky to hit 90mbs, now I an getting between 190-211mbs

Ill try a live chat with them at some point but i'm not hopefully. i don't have anywhere else in the house to set it up as there are no other connections and i only have one tv anyway.

Ill try a live chat with them at some point but i'm not hopefully. i don't have anywhere else in the house to set it up as there are no other connections and i only have one tv anyway.
Is it because they've disabled the old box ready for the new one. The new one has to turn on and register as part of it's setup.

Is it because they've disabled the old box ready for the new one. The new one has to turn on and register as part of it's setup.

Is there anyway to still use the old box or get some of the recordings transferred from the HDD? If I pay for a second box will that reactivate it?

The only advice I can find on transferring recordings is to use a DVD recorder attached to the tv which will have to be in real time. Not sure if this works with encrypted recordings.

But then also I imagine there is also a market for replacement boxes for spares or replacement when vm want to charge. I know second hand sky boxes can be reactivated to your account at request by sky.

You’d imagine incorrectly.

The significant difference between the two providers is that Sky sell you a box, and it’s your responsibility, whereas Virgin own their boxes. So VM never want to charge for repairs, they just replace your kit.

Well, my kit arrived. I got a new hub, powerline adapters and a V6 box.

Wife wasn’t happy about losing the recorded stuff we have on the TiVo box so i thought I would just install the hub in the mean time and get better WiFi etc. I didn’t call to activate the box because of the above. I thought the hub would be just a hub.

After an hour of watching the green lights flash I gave up. It says on the ‘structions that it should take 20 mins to update.

Whipped the old hub back into life and now I just have to wait until I’m allowed to remove the old box.

Best laid plans and all that......

Is there anyway to still use the old box or get some of the recordings transferred from the HDD? If I pay for a second box will that reactivate it?

The only advice I can find on transferring recordings is to use a DVD recorder attached to the tv which will have to be in real time. Not sure if this works with encrypted recordings.

It's copyright laws - you cant get the recordings off, because if you could, they'd end up all over the web for free.

Wife wasn’t happy about losing the recorded stuff we have on the TiVo box so i thought I would just install the hub in the mean time and get better WiFi etc. I didn’t call to activate the box because of the above. I thought the hub would be just a hub.

After an hour of watching the green lights flash I gave up. It says on the ‘structions that it should take 20 mins to update.

Whipped the old hub back into life and now I just have to wait until I’m allowed to remove the old box.

You have to ring them so they know when to enable that box on your account, at the moment the old one is registered. They won't enable the new one until you call so they don't cut you off. They won't enable both at the same time, but the advantage of calling them also is they can check the line quality, tweak any settings if required.

It’s the hub that needs activating via the call, that’s why they tell you to do that first. Then you attach the box when the hub is up and running. No idea if your old box would work with the new hub though, so probably best to do it all at the same time. ;)

You’d imagine incorrectly.

The significant difference between the two providers is that Sky sell you a box, and it’s your responsibility, whereas Virgin own their boxes. So VM never want to charge for repairs, they just replace your kit.

That used to be the case. Not since the launch of Sky Q though.

"All Sky Q kit is loaned to you at no cost and must be returned at the end of your relevant subscription. Sky Q 1TB box: 700GB personal storage. Sky Q 2TB box: 1.7TB personal storage. 300GB storage reserved by Sky."

That used to be the case. Not since the launch of Sky Q though.

"All Sky Q kit is loaned to you at no cost and must be returned at the end of your relevant subscription. Sky Q 1TB box: 700GB personal storage. Sky Q 2TB box: 1.7TB personal storage. 300GB storage reserved by Sky."
Doesn’t alter the fact that there’s virtually no market for used VM boxe, unlike traditional Sky boxes.

Back