backpack travel photography, take laptop?

Edit My Images
No
Should i?

going only for 3 weeks in vietnam and debating on whether i should bring it or not for editing pics/backup.

Thoughts?

i will house this all in just a isngle fstop loka 37L bag which is a good balance of not being too big or too small for a backpack

Do you really need a laptop with you?
I just took spare memory cards with me on my last trip.
They're quite a bit smaller :) and you don't have the worry about another item going missing when you leave your bag in lodgings.

Are you seriously going to do any editing when you are away? I'd rather enjoy the trip and take pics.
(I did take my kindle with me for relaxation)

Will you be staying in "civilization" or far away from any computer access? Might it be possible to use a hotel's computer to copy cards to optical disks or even an HDD? Personally, I do take a little netbook with me for backup, web access and basic editing/printing but that's relatively short haul and we stay in accommodation that we know to be as secure as possible.

I wouldn't. Leave it at home and enjoy the holiday for what it is. One of the nice things about being away is that you leave all your technology stuff behind, with the exception of a camera and ipod maybe. It's refreshing. Also gives you something to work on when you get back and to lookforward to.

I have recently just done 3 weeks in Vietnam, travelling by bus down from Hanoi to Saigon. It turns out that virtually everywhere in Vietnam from expensive hotels to small roadside stalls are wi-fi'd up. I took a tablet and used it to book my next accommodation, usually the day before. Seriously, don't take anything for editing purposes. I did all mine on my return but do take something for wi-fi access. To be honest, it makes life so easy!

I have recently just done 3 weeks in Vietnam, travelling by bus down from Hanoi to Saigon. It turns out that virtually everywhere in Vietnam from expensive hotels to small roadside stalls are wi-fi'd up. I took a tablet and used it to book my next accommodation, usually the day before. Seriously, don't take anything for editing purposes. I did all mine on my return but do take something for wi-fi access. To be honest, it makes life so easy!
Did u take any domestic flights around anywhere there?

What places did u visit?

Pm me and we can take this convo off of this topic

I did 3 weeks around vietnam//cambodia/thailand recently. Mixture of flights, trains, buses.

Took an old netbook, not worth much but really useful to go sit in cafes and use WiFi to organise next leg of trip.

I would avoid shiny (macbook etc) if you're planning on taking any overnight trains/buses

I travel around Vietnam for a month a bit ago in the film days,no internet or mobile phones,i been on the road for about 2 month before i got to Vietnam plus i had to get thought the rest of SE Asia into Aus and across the Pacific to the US and then on into Mexico,before my flight home from Mexico City.

Try not to worry to much or the adventure can get lost in the planing :)

I take a little netbook with me on holiday. Mainly for light editing (I also take a small printer to produce personalised postcards and small prints for people there) but also for backing up and web access where wi-fi's available. I also keep full cards full unless I need them and also back up to a USB stick. Paranoid? Maybe a little but I've never lost a holiday shot!

a bit ago in the film days,no internet or mobile phones

A 'bit' ago, eh? ;)

I'd also say don't bother with the laptop but you might want to take something with internet access, maybe just your phone though. As for flights, I have no idea, haven't really had the chance to travel properly yet. I've only really experienced package holidays, apart from the expedition I went on with school to Lesotho in 2009. It's definitely on the to do list for after uni!

yea im going to bring just my ipad. that will do just fine. got over 120gb of cf cards!! that enough? lol

cheers thanks! Is it best to book domestic flights their or here before i go?

Dont use domestic flights for me most of it is the traveling rather than the arrival,it was a fair while ago,so mainly used public transport a mix of bus & train,as i said it was awhile ago and their were a lot of restriction on traveling within the country,the further north you when the worst it got,but i think it should be easier now.

Good luck and enjoy,and anymore ? will help the best i can :)

Dont use domestic flights for me most of it is the traveling rather than the arrival,it was a fair while ago,so mainly used public transport a mix of bus & train,as i said it was awhile ago and their were a lot of restriction on traveling within the country,the further north you when the worst it got,but i think it should be easier now.

Good luck and enjoy,and anymore ? will help the best i can :)
Vietnam is a big country! What restrictions they have?

A 'bit' ago, eh? ;)

I'd also say don't bother with the laptop but you might want to take something with internet access, maybe just your phone though. As for flights, I have no idea, haven't really had the chance to travel properly yet. I've only really experienced package holidays, apart from the expedition I went on with school to Lesotho in 2009. It's definitely on the to do list for after uni!

Yep it was done on a wing and a pray,and a bit of luck :)

Vietnam is a big country! What restrictions they have?

It was mainly getting out of Saigon to travel further north,but i should think most of the restriction would have been lifted now,i when i reached Hue the only way i could carry on to Hanoi was by overnight train,which took a few days to get a ticket :D,once i reached Hanoi i travel further north to the border with China.
:)

i'l be in hanoi, ho ann and ho chi minh city. those are the 3 main parts i will be in. i am going to visit the ha long bay for sure! how long does it take to go to ha long bay from hanoi? and same question if i wanted to visit sapa?

i'l be in hanoi, ho ann and ho chi minh city. those are the 3 main parts i will be in. i am going to visit the ha long bay for sure! how long does it take to go to ha long bay from hanoi? and same question if i wanted to visit sapa?

I missed out ha long bay :(,i went up to the china border instead :)

So i have heard,it was lack of money plus the weather was bad their,and their was a good chance of not seeing anything much :)

I recently spent a quick 10 days in Vietnam. It was quite literally the best thing I've ever done!

Flew into Hanoi from Hong Kong, from there took a one night cruise at Ha Long Bay (one night seemed more than enough, the boats are limited to how far they can travel and truth be told, once you've seen it, you've seen it). From there, back to Hanoi for another night, then an over night train down to Hue. A night or two there, beautiful old town but not much left due to the Americans. Next up was a days motorbike tour from Hue to Hoi An over the Hai Van Pass and via China Beach in Da Nang. This was by far the best bit of the trip. Awesome experience. Sadly running out of time after a couple of nights in a stormy Hoi An so it was down to Ho Chi Minh City via an internal flight. Spent a few days here before on to Malaysia. Hanoi felt more 'Vietnam' than Ho Chi Minh, the latter having more cars, less bikes and generally better following of traffic laws ;)

About 3 hours the bus from Hanoi to Ha Long bay. I agree with only one night on the boat, it is spectacular but once you've seen it...

Hanoi far more interesting place than Saigon imo, which was just another dirty SE Asian city full of sex tourists.

Definitely take an overnight train and a good book...it's a trip back in time trundling along (they are v slow and rickety).

Sapa is well worth it, the northern highlands are a completely different pace to the rest of Vietnam, people friendlier, and the misty landscapes are beautiful. Cold and wet though. I did the trek up Fansipan which is two days of cold, wet muddy schlepping but amazing when you do pop out above the clouds.

Oh and watch out *everyone* is trying to rip you off in Vietnam, make sure you know the exchange rate and don't be afraid to call people out if they are taking the p***. Don't take the "it's only a few quid" attitude, it just encourages the worst part of Vietnam.

FWIW I prefer Cambodia...Angkor Wat is amazing, on a par with Machu Picchu.

you could get portable usb hd pretty cheap now too, and a cf card and usb port thing for ipad

Oh and watch out *everyone* is trying to rip you off in Vietnam, make sure you know the exchange rate and don't be afraid to call people out if they are taking the tinkle. Don't take the "it's only a few quid" attitude, it just encourages the worst part of Vietnam.

This is true! One 'chemist' type shop wanted £15 for a bottle of shampoo and conditioner for my other half! I'd paid £1.50 for genuine Head & Shoulders two days earlier. Kept on attempting to walk off (and not to barter, out of disgust!) and eventually she relented and gave us both for £4. The over selling was the only downside to the place.

This is true! One 'chemist' type shop wanted £15 for a bottle of shampoo and conditioner for my other half! I'd paid £1.50 for genuine Head & Shoulders two days earlier. Kept on attempting to walk off (and not to barter, out of disgust!) and eventually she relented and gave us both for £4. The over selling was the only downside to the place.
Like the philippines then! lol.

question. should i stick with the fstop loka bag http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/loka.html#.Us_CXGRdVYg or get the fstop satori https://shop.fstopgear.com/us/produ...0_5545fe211d-996add836c-72628841#.Us5zCWRdVYg for more free extra space?

Last edited:
Back