Bluebells

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I was asked to photograph a bluebell wood by a friend as she wanted a picture for her wall. She pointed out what she wanted and I shot it. are these any good ? I usually take moving things or interiors.#

Bluebell
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Bluebell

Bluebell

Bluebells are not easy, give me an owl or car any day !!

#1 I think is superb, best of the bunch.

I like how you have a sharp line of bluebells joining the vertical tree and the one leaning over, forming a natural frame. Maybe see if it is improved with lower contrast, not sure on that.

#3 is lacking a real focal point that #1 has

I agree, I think 1 is rather lovely with the very shallow DOF.

I agree that number one is nice and also agree it looks a bit contrasty but if ya m8 likes em job is done.

Gaz

1+3 not much in focus so i would delete them and try again
That was the brief to get a shallow DOF as all of hers were full of twigs and stumps due to wide angle and close aperture. I used a 300mm lens to get the effect wanted.

Thanks for the other comments.

There seems to be a mix of feeling on contrast and brightness they don't look dark on my screens but the shadows are increased for effect. I was a bit limited as I had to meet her with the sun up high due to her lunch break so keeping the highlights under control meant lowering exposure a bit in PP. I did add to blacks and contrast as I know when these things get printed on canvas they come our brighter. Customer picked the 1st one without the square crop for her landing and it is going to be big. Now I have to photograph her horse so praying for rain for a few weeks.

Not for me I'm afraid. 1 isn't inviting - the tree on the right it too thick for the crop and it's lean across the frame blocks your view further into the picture. The background tree isn't really separated from it's background either. 2 isn't too bad, but needs the flowers to be in the green part of the background and as pointed out the picture is very underexposed. 3 has no point of interest at all, the bluebells are beautiful but that alone doesn't make a great picture. You need a picturesque tree to frame around for example. Some good examples here: http://russbarnes.co.uk/portfolio/in-an-english-wood/

Last edited:
I also agree that no. 1 is very good. No. 2 is good but would be better with a totally green out of focus background.

Back