Books to understand and appreciate photographs, photographers and photography

Wildly popular thread, isn't it? Well at least we don't need to hire the Albert Hall for our meetings - the kitchen table will do. :) Real men prefer hardware, it seems, and are out on the hunt for it: 'Phwaw - look at the biceps on that lens!' 'No, over here! This camera body incorporates AI & does 20,000 virtual orbits per second!' 'Culture - no, don't need that. What was it again - culture? How do you spell it?'

That's my stand-up over for tonight & I'm just wiping a couple of eggs off my jacket ...

Might post another book title or two tomorrow ...

Wildly popular thread, isn't it? Well at least we don't need to hire the Albert Hall for our meetings - the kitchen table will do. :) Real men prefer hardware, it seems, and are out on the hunt for it: 'Phwaw - look at the biceps on that lens!' 'No, over here! This camera body incorporates AI & does 20,000 virtual orbits per second!' 'Culture - no, don't need that. What was it again - culture? How do you spell it?'

That's my stand-up over for tonight & I'm just wiping a couple of eggs off my jacket ...

Might post another book title or two tomorrow ...
Nope, it isn't attracting much acivity.maybe I needed a better opening post.. I hadn't expected a lot of interest, but I had hoped for more than it;s got :-(

But personally, I've still got ideas for some books I would like buy.

I'm always late to the book party and have only just bought and read Pictures on a Page: Photo-Journalism, Graphics and Picture Editing by Harold Evans.

It was written in a different age, so in some ways is dated (he suggests computers might be useful for cataloguing photos in the future!) and obviously about photographs to be used in newspapers and magazines, but there's stuff about making 'effective' pictures that I'll be reading again. Some things he said made me think that today's street photographers would do well to invest in a copy!

There are examples of how photos can be cropped made to alter their meaning and of composites made long before Photoshop. Some tales of how the photos came about too. Well worth a few bob for a copy.

I'm always late to the book party and have only just bought and read Pictures on a Page: Photo-Journalism, Graphics and Picture Editing by Harold Evans.

It was written in a different age, so in some ways is dated (he suggests computers might be useful for cataloguing photos in the future!) and obviously about photographs to be used in newspapers and magazines, but there's stuff about making 'effective' pictures that I'll be reading again. Some things he said made me think that today's street photographers would do well to invest in a copy!

There are examples of how photos can be cropped made to alter their meaning and of composites made long before Photoshop. Some tales of how the photos came about too. Well worth a few bob for a copy.

I can remember borrowing this from the library decades ago. I think I would appreciate it more today.

Having sworn of buying books fo a spell, I've made two spur of the moment buys:

"On Instagram" by David Hurn, which is a compilation of his illusraed Instagram posts (He is very enthusiastic about how good the RPS is, which surprised me a bit)

and

"The moment of seeing: Minor White at the California School of fine arts" by Comer & Klocho This is a fascinating book of the course set up by Ansel Adams and run by Minor White. It includes things like the curriculum and the rationale behind it as well as writings by Minor White on teaching photography.

It also has portfolios of photographs by the lecturers: Ansel Adams, Imogen Cunningham, Dorothea Lange, Rose Mandel, Lisette Model, Homer Page, Frederick W Quanda, Edward Weston and Minor White.

Much to my amusement, the only colour photograph in the portfolios is by Weston

Back