Brighton

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
I posted these and more in the "A roll of film" thread but thought I'd put a couple here for a more critical approach to viewing them!

Yashica Mat 124G
Kodak Portra NC 400
Straight from scan

Brighton10-EllieBeachsmall.jpg

Brighton10-DogBeachsmall.jpg

Brighton10-LoisAdeleBeach.jpg

Brighton10-OldPier.jpg

Not bad, i like the construction/warehouse one the most.
Last time i was in Brighton i saw a guy playing a guitar out of his window, awesome time.

First shot I like how the vapour trails and lines in the shingle lead your eye around the picture. I'm not so keen on the fact that the lights and horizon aren't vertical and horizontal, though I know it's difficult with a WLF camera unless tripod mounted. Still, its only a degree or two, and i'd certainly not bat an eyelid at tweaking that in CS5. I also have to say, your model looks as if she would be far happier behind her SLR than photo-gimping for you :LOL:

Second one's a reasonably well focused shot of a dog, shows a bit of atmosphere, I suppose, but to me it's little more than a record shot, sorry.

Third one is much better, a little more interaction with the 2 models, though if I was being picky i'd have shot from a slightly lower angle, foreshortened the sea until you could have had equal thirds of sky, sea and shingle. Also, if you're going to shoot almost directly into the sun with old lenses you're really going to have to get a lens hood. The shot has lost quite a bit of contrast through the near-flare, and again imho, would benefit from a tweak in CS5 - again it's nothing we wouldn't have done in the darkroom BITD, so no reason to be precious about being "straight from scan" - after all, we're trying to show our work off to it's best advantage, aren't we?

Fourth shot is much more my territory - there's no people or animals in there for a start :LOL: I like the use of a narrow DOF to focus attention onto the foreground elements - it also leaves me wanting to know more about the board on the pillar with the blue object fastened to it. I'd have probably had the next shot as a full frame closeup of that (subject to if being suitably interesting of course!) Your eye is definitely drawn to the blue blob though - mainly as it and the green bin-bag in the foreground are the only non-brown elements in the shot. The softer focus to the roof support structures is also interesting, in that you can see the shapes and angles, and can tell it's not just your regular shed, but if they'd have been in full focus, the whole thing would have been far too busy. Again though, we're a little off-vertical. 20 degrees is a stylistic device, 1-2 degrees is just not trying hard enough.

All things considered though, an interesting set, and I've enjoyed sitting down and thinking about them while writing this.

Back