Buyers remorse after purchasing camera equipment.

just wondering if anyone else on here suffers buyers remorse after a large purchase?

As a wildlife photographer I regretted buying my Nikon 500 f4 instead of the 600 f4 but made the best of it and it tuned out to be a very good lens, even with converters.
On the flip-side I regretted selling my Nikon 400 f2.8, which was superb.
No worries now though, I'm just doing street 'wildlife' at 28mm or 40mm. ;)

I stopped chasing bells and whistles several years ago and am still in remission from my GAS. In the past, I have regretted a couple of purchases but have managed to get over the disappointments once the items had been sold on/traded in.

If I was in the OP's shoes, I'd get on with using the new/fresh kit and see if I enjoyed it before making any decision over its future.

I think this is something I have to get over.

My parents had nothing when they married and although things improved I was always brought up to save and only buy what was needed when I could afford it and to look after what I had and make it last. Later when on decent money I decided to buy myself something every month but once I'd bought a watch, various hifi and cameras what was left? I couldn't think so I stopped but I've always bought cars.

These days I'm getting older and me and Mrs WW have no one to leave anything too so we really should spend whatever we want whenever we want.

So, my advice is that if you can afford something... why not indulge yourself...and try not to feel guilty.

Alan, you're more than welcome to leave everything to me, mate. Seriously, though, I was brought up the same way. Not a bad thing, either.

I always know exactly what I am going to buy long before I pull the trigger. So I have never suffered remorse.
Though I often buy accessories that I rarely use. But I consider that a form of insurance. They might not be available when needed otherwise.

Alan, you're more than welcome to leave everything to me, mate. Seriously, though, I was brought up the same way. Not a bad thing, either.

It might come to that :D One obvious choice could be charity but many if not all have their issues and some arguably are not fit for any purpose other than providing a privileged in crowd with status and wealth. There's always the church and they will get a bump.

It might come to that :D One obvious choice could be charity but many if not all have their issues and some arguably are not fit for any purpose other than providing a privileged in crowd with status and wealth. There's always the church and they will get a bump.

Shall I PM you my details?

Well I just like to say thank you to everyone's responses I was only expecting a few. I really appreciate what everyone has had to say and will take it all onboard over the next few days and try to implement most of what has been suggested to try.

I suspect, you would have probably felt the need to upgrade the D7200 sooner than you will feel the need to upgrade the EM1.3 +12-40. So, longer term, the Oly might not be as expensive as it feels at the moment.. The Oly choice should be good for a long time,

The Oly 12-40 is an excellent pro-grade lens and the EM1.3 even with a smaller sensor, still has capabilities beyond the D7200: if you want/need to make use of them. Although I am a died in the wool Nikon user (for 50 years), I've owned both the EM1.3 and the 12 -40 and this a fantastic combination, not only capable of high quality results, but also light, small and fun to use.

Unless, you have "overspent: because you can't afford it, rather than just spent more than you intended, the only way to guarantee buyers remorse is if you don't get out and enjoy using it..

In that regard, can I suggest you work out some projects around subjects that interest you, and you want to photograph, rather than relying on the excitement of a new camera to get you out there. Maybe also look at some of the smarter tricks that the Oly has, that the D7200 doesn't, e.g. procapture, to help justify buying the Oly over the D7200.

There is definitely a lot to the E-M1.3 which I think is partially why I've felt I've gone in over my head a bit. But like you say I would probably find the limits of the D7200 long before I do with the Olympus. I think I would of missed a fold out screen as had this on my last camera, thought it was a gimmick but ended up using it so much.
I'll definitely have a think of some suitable ideas for a project or two.

I second that advice.

Pick a subject, get out and capture it. If you can, find similar subjects that others have recorded and compare what you've done with their approach. DON'T just look at what you think they've done better - look at what you've done that you prefer to their results.

Remember, digital cameras get cheaper the more images you record with them!

Thank you for the response. Maybe a project is what I need. There is a local photographer where I am who regularly posts on his Facebook page all of which is within a reasonable walk from where I live.

Photography is perfect when combining with your other current interests, e.g: hiking, walking, city breaks, sports, science, animals, cars/motosport, history, local issues etc... imo this is where photography becomes most interesting and sustainable. When photography becomes just about photography, that's how you get into a situation where all that matters is the camera, lenses, bags, etc.. and you're forever testing various 'setups'

I do like a good walk or cycle and there's plenty to see where I live. I definitely don't want to be out just to take photos.

I generally have some remorse; it's because I pay a significant price for incremental improvements that I don't actually need ≥ 95% of the time. And often, those incremental improvements also come with some kind of tradeoff...

I do feel I've taken a big step up from what I previously had. The E-M1.3 is definitely a capable camera.

I recently bought a mint but used Canon 300mm f2.8 IS ii for a lot of money plus drop-in filters and polarisers and soft case for transporting it around. Once or twice I have 'kinda though to myself 'what have I done!' . . . but every time I have used it I have been chuffed with the results. Great fun walking a long way back to get the subject in frame and now I am getting people come up to me asking if I had a good photograph of their car I could give them!!! Wouldn't be without it now. Like you I don't go out much really but when I do I always have a good time! Great fun, and I can always re-sell it and my other stuff if I have to, after all it is cheaper than renting anything. I also just bought a 15mm 'diagonal' fisheye lens . . . gotta get super close with this one. People think I am mad being alllll the way over there one moment then nose to glass the next!

I don't think I have used it enough yet to decide if it's for me. Too busy worrying about what I've brought and spent.

I do have a copy (official one printed by a UK company on behalf of Olympus) of the Full E-M1 mk3 User manual that I am happy to send you.

@Lindsey I hope it is OK to ask if he is interested @ian-83 in the thread about this to then go PM as appropriate?

I am not sure about the P& P costs but if you make a donation of your choice to the TP running funds I will cover the postage i.e. free to you for the price of a donation to TP ( @lindsay please advise can that be to the 'coffee fund' or other via TP route?)

@ian-83 please PM as appropriate

PS I would anticipate putting it in a Jiffy envelope and that would make it over the 1 inch thick i.e. "Large Letter" or "Small Parcel" so possibly around the £5 mark to send it 2nd Class Post :thinking: :thinking:

Thank you for the kind offer. Is this the same as the one the camera comes with or a more in-depth one?

I sold my old D7200, lenses and 3 compact cameras to WEX to fund the purchase of my Sony A6700 18-135 lens kit as I needed to reduce my kit weight. I didn’t need to lay out any cash but my regret lies in losing some old favourite cameras. I’ll get over it and life is easier now I don’t have a multitude of options, I have fewer batteries to charge and plenty of spare straps and cases.

I've had a few Nikon's in the past so always feel a bit nostalgic about them but I wonder if that's all my lusting a D7200 was about. I know the weight would get to me after a while.

I could have written this post myself.
Every time I buy camera equipment I instantly regret it.
Sorry I can't be more positive but that's how I feel every time.

I am a hobbyist so I cannot justify the purchase of new toys, but I do it anyway.
The feeling does pass after a few weeks in my case.

Good luck

I definitely feel used is a better deal for the hobbyist if you don't want the latest equipment.

In your shoes, I think it would be more about did I buy the 'right' item rather than the actual expenditure.

But you never know, the EM1-3 might suit you better than the original D7200 you had in mind :)

A few years ago I was happily using the Voigtlander 40/1.2 on Sony - I decided I wanted a 35mm'ish AF lens with a big aperture..... Sony 35/1.8? Batis 40mm? Sigma had an f/2? The tiny f/2.8 lenses.... My other half just told me to buy the 35GM because I'd regret whatever else I bought and would always have that 'I should have' niggle playing over & over..... So I did. No remorse whatsoever, that lens is on the A7Riii virtually every time I go out......

I'm not really well off money wise, but I know it's best to get what you really want & need and get 100% use out of it.

I've just spent £150 on a 35mm film lens.... No remorse, I've been looking for one for years & they just don't come up for sale.

There's definitely pros and cons for each I was looking at. I think I possibly would of ended up feeling the same regardless of which way I went.

I will just say that paying over the odds will commonly achieve this result. The salesman did very well, and that is that.

Never said I paid over the odds just more than I had set out to. Two different things. The salesman only produced an E-M1.3 as I asked to see how one handled and that's all they had in stock. Your answer seems to be the only negative one here.

in most instances, it's easier to buy than to sell

I have boxes full of stuff, but I have been "at it" since the early 1960's

I'm slowly accumulating camera related stuff. Should really get some of it in the sales section.

Only when I've had a few glasses of red before purchasing and wake up in the morning and say: "You bought what?" And then: "How much?!!!"

On the other hand, occasionally I'll procrastinate about a lens or camera and my sensible side gets the better of me. I'll then wait until Saturday evening, have a couple of drinks, and that allows the not so sensible (but a lot more fun) side of me to emerge victorious.

Only brought one thing while a few drinks in. Luckily it was something I actually needed and was a bargain price. I just browse mostly.

My remorse (as Lee alluded to) is more "did I get the right thing?" which is made worse when I discover I didn't.

A long time ago I bought a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L lens. Hardly ever used the thing, and used to get remorse every time I looked at it on the shelf. Same for the Fuji equivalent when I switched to Fuji. Too big, too heavy, and I didn't really need it for the photography I do - all of which is hindsight information.

I'm looking for a small, pocketable 35mm camera at the moment. I've had about a dozen (fortunately not too expensive) cameras, and none of them have worked for me. Now that the Rollei 35AF has been announced I'm going to give that a go with a healthy amount of "pre-purchase remorse" that it might not be the one I'm looking for.

Ideally, you would buy exactly the right gear for what you want to do, but if you don't know what that is, you've got to accept that you might buy something you don't need along the way. I see it as all part of the learning curve. If it's not money you need elsewhere, it'll be ok. You can always sell it on in search of the right one. Maybe it'll make a loss, but you (hopefully) learned something from the experience.

It's hard to know what's right I find just handling something in the store or reading reviews as everyone's wants and needs are so different. I definitely have enough saved to cover the purchase and not struggle to pay the bills.

I've bought the wrong thing quite a few times. Also some stuff I didn't think I'd like but end up finding brilliant. Key is not to worry too much and just look after kit and sell what you don't like. If you buy used you lose less money in mistakes than buying new.

I definitely look after my stuff and tend to keep all the boxes. Other half thinks I am mad for that one.

I think this is something I have to get over.

My parents had nothing when they married and although things improved I was always brought up to save and only buy what was needed when I could afford it and to look after what I had and make it last. Later when on decent money I decided to buy myself something every month but once I'd bought a watch, various hifi and cameras what was left? I couldn't think so I stopped but I've always bought cars.

These days I'm getting older and me and Mrs WW have no one to leave anything too so we really should spend whatever we want whenever we want.

So, my advice is that if you can afford something... why not indulge yourself...and try not to feel guilty.

I had the same upbringing. If you want something save for it so your not living life paying off credit cards etc. it definitely makes some purchases feel more like your earned them and there a reward for hard work.

If you look at it another way. Just about every modern camera is over specced anyway. So we're all paying more than we need too for functions we will never use.

This is true. There's so much tech packed in them these days I doubt most of us use more than 10% of it.

I stopped chasing bells and whistles several years ago and am still in remission from my GAS. In the past, I have regretted a couple of purchases but have managed to get over the disappointments once the items had been sold on/traded in.

If I was in the OP's shoes, I'd get on with using the new/fresh kit and see if I enjoyed it before making any decision over its future.

It's the first new to me camera in about 7 years so I've done well i think. Spent the last few years though looking at stuff. Hard not to when there's so much out there on social media etc to tempt you in.

Never said I paid over the odds just more than I had set out to. Two different things. The salesman only produced an E-M1.3 as I asked to see how one handled and that's all they had in stock. Your answer seems to be the only negative one here.
Happy days then and end of complaining

I find that the monthly challenges on this forum are a good project to start with.

Only time I had buyers remorse was when I spent my entire bonus from work on a new Nikon D700 - about £1500 or so (this was back in about 2009 or so). The only time I’d spent 4 figures on anything before that was on a car, so this was like - crikey, what have I just done. And it lasted exactly as long as it took to get out and use it and realise what a quantum leap it was over the Nikon D70 I had before.

Since then I’ve never had buyers remorse when I’ve bought anything as I only buy something when it is a step up in capability from what I have or is something I need for a project etc.

Only time I had buyers remorse was when I spent my entire bonus from work on a new Nikon D700 - about £1500 or so (this was back in about 2009 or so). The only time I’d spent 4 figures on anything before that was on a car, so this was like - crikey, what have I just done. And it lasted exactly as long as it took to get out and use it and realise what a quantum leap it was over the Nikon D70 I had before.

Since then I’ve never had buyers remorse when I’ve bought anything as I only buy something when it is a step up in capability from what I have or is something I need for a project etc.

That was a lot back then. As you say though if it's an upgrade it shouldn't be seen as something that shouldn't of been purchased.

Thank you for the kind offer. Is this the same as the one the camera comes with or a more in-depth one?
The one that comes with the camera is a multi language tiddler! A short form manual so to speak.

The one I have to hand is the Full Manual with 331 pages that is available as a downloadable pdf but as I mentioned this is the officially 'authorised'(?) print of it at A5 size.

HTH?

Last edited:
That was a lot back then. As you say though if it's an upgrade it shouldn't be seen as something that shouldn't have been purchased.
Hell yes. That upgrade allowed me to do things I couldn’t do before, and the step up megapixels, image quality and dynamic range gave me much more to play with in post processing. So the value I got out of it more than offset the not inconsiderable cost (I had to buy full frame lenses as well).

I had a few occasions of buyers remorse after getting the D810 and the 70-200, because I felt like I had gone backwards in tech (especially the AF system) and also it's now a rather bulky setup. But after a while I've realised that almost any photograph that would be in a shorter focal length than 70mm I would typically just use my phone because that's what is always on me. I would never have time to go and get the good gear, although I do miss the higher quality of a proper system compared to the phone.

Landscape pano stuff would always be planned and that's what I bought this combo specifically for, so the size doesn't matter here and I got a good deal on it, so any remorse is now gone as what I have current works for my situation at the moment. If it changes, then the gear will change. :)

I done the same, maybe a bit more pounds, about a year later. Small redundancy pay out on a Canon 5D2 kit!! At the time, more than I'd ever spent on a car :ROFLMAO:

Due to making the wrong decisions on my first major purchases as a young man, I now ‘suffer’ from over researching and taking my time over buying decisions.

So on the rare occasions I pressure myself into a snap purchase decision, it’s possible an end up with a few pangs of regret.

In your case; I think the problem is your mind wasn’t on the job in the first place. Don’t knock yourself too bad about it. The good news is you’ve got some great gear to go out and enjoy.

Haven't has buyers remorse over what I've acquired for my collection of gear...... When I decide to buy something I don't make an instant purchase, I tend to wait until the "right one at the right price" becomes available....... Doing it that way I've managed to pick up some really low shutter bodies along with some mint condition lenses, the down side of that was I waited nearly 18 months before pulling the trigger on a Nikon D700...

My last purchase, a Nikon Df in black, will be my last and that was another purchase where I've waited for the right one for me to come up for sale.

I've had this a couple of times; once even going so far as cancelling the order before it had been shipped, then re-ordering a few days later.

Generally though, I tend to buy second-hand where I can which lessens any financial impact (and depreciation issues), and on the one occasion where something turned up and I felt guilty about buying it, I just used it a lot and got over it that way.

The one that comes with the camera is a multi language tiddler! A short form manual so to speak.

The one I have to hand is the Full Manual with 331 pages that is available as a downloadable pdf but as I mentioned this is the officially 'authorised'(?) print of it at A5 size.

HTH?

I'll see how I get on with what I can find online first with various YouTube videos then contact you via PM if I need the manual.

Thanks again for the offer.

I'll see how I get on with what I can find online first with various YouTube videos then contact you via PM if I need the manual.

Thanks again for the offer.
Okey dokey, just let me know as & when :)

Enjoy your new camera:D

I think I always get buyer's remorse after making any large purchase even though I can afford it and have usually spent a ridiculous amount of time researching the item. I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation to get out and use the camera which I find the best way to deal with remorse, there's been a number of camera and non-camera items I've bought and regretted then found the items to be a fantastic addition.

There are times I get it wrong and the device doesn't work out however I can live with that for the many other times when it works out well and I get a decent improvement.

i died for a wee whilst a couple of years ago, on an operating table, nothing complex just a simple thing...went to theatre on a monday morning and woke up in a different hospitals intensive care unit on a ventilator, spent a week in itu ,thankfully they managed to get me back, i was oblivious at the time but my poor missus and kids, it gave me a bit of a epiphany, i used to always like to have money in the bank just in case, always carefull of what i bought for myself and mended and made do with what i had, well all the money i had in the bank when i died meant jack sh*t, so now im totaly different, im fortunate to have a decent paid job as does my missus, no mortgage and all that crap so now if i want it and ive got the cash il buy it with no remorse or quandaries, if you have the cash and want it buy it, your a long time dead and were only here for a short time so just do it, whats the worse, you dont like it or use it s much, you can always sell it , be good to yourself and your family your worth it brother

i died for a wee whilst a couple of years ago, on an operating table, nothing complex just a simple thing...went to theatre on a monday morning and woke up in a different hospitals intensive care unit on a ventilator, spent a week in itu ,thankfully they managed to get me back, i was oblivious at the time but my poor missus and kids, it gave me a bit of a epiphany, i used to always like to have money in the bank just in case, always carefull of what i bought for myself and mended and made do with what i had, well all the money i had in the bank when i died meant jack sh*t, so now im totaly different, im fortunate to have a decent paid job as does my missus, no mortgage and all that crap so now if i want it and ive got the cash il buy it with no remorse or quandaries, if you have the cash and want it buy it, your a long time dead and were only here for a short time so just do it, whats the worse, you dont like it or use it s much, you can always sell it , be good to yourself and your family your worth it brother

Great reply. That really does put things in perspective. :p

My Grandfather always said that shrouds have no pockets - and he had some great toys!!!

Back