Buying the 800mm as I HATE CROPPING

Of course it is the lens that causes diffraction, not the sensor. There would certainly be diminishing returns with a high resolution sensor, but never a poorer resolution. In practice, we rarely see the effects of diffraction unless we are cropping hard. The effects are present, but not very noticeable with all the other issues of aberrations, small focus errors, motion blur, flare, noise, etc.
You are indeed right that diffraction alone is only a fraction of the problem with budget optics.

In theory I would get about the same result by sticking 2X TC on my 400mm f/5.6L prime, at a fraction of the cost. On 50MP both options look, frankly, terrible, but 20MP R6 would hide the worst of it to some extent while having larger photosites and better high ISO noise performance, which you would really really need, besides focusing more accurately. However, you could also argue that I am just better off cropping 50MP image at 400mm f/5.6 down to 20MP or whatever it takes and potentially end up with better image.

Your best bet with one of these is to fill the frame and get a frame freezing exposure at whatever settings it takes, then use all the AI tools to clean up the resulting noise and sharpen all the way. I would even suggest this makes more sense as a surveillance tool.

With a good optic and controlled conditions such as shooting from tripod in particular the difference between diffraction limited and optimal apertures is actually very substantial. Just a stop over and you see a visible loss of acute sharpness. Hence my high res body is limited to f/8 max for general shooting. If I have some hard focus stacking job I may violate this rule every now and then and try to compensate back with Sharpen AI

Use the RF800 on an R3 and have been amazed at how good it is even with the 1.4tc to be fair.

You are indeed right that diffraction alone is only a fraction of the problem with budget optics.

In theory I would get about the same result by sticking 2X TC on my 400mm f/5.6L prime, at a fraction of the cost. On 50MP both options look, frankly, terrible, but 20MP R6 would hide the worst of it to some extent while having larger photosites and better high ISO noise performance, which you would really really need, besides focusing more accurately. However, you could also argue that I am just better off cropping 50MP image at 400mm f/5.6 down to 20MP or whatever it takes and potentially end up with better image.

Your best bet with one of these is to fill the frame and get a frame freezing exposure at whatever settings it takes, then use all the AI tools to clean up the resulting noise and sharpen all the way. I would even suggest this makes more sense as a surveillance tool.

With a good optic and controlled conditions such as shooting from tripod in particular the difference between diffraction limited and optimal apertures is actually very substantial. Just a stop over and you see a visible loss of acute sharpness. Hence my high res body is limited to f/8 max for general shooting. If I have some hard focus stacking job I may violate this rule every now and then and try to compensate back with Sharpen AI
No complaints with my for the R5 and 800; used this at length during my recent period in Canada and was delighted.

Most photos I took yesterday appear to be unsharp, like they're soft, others are better but are soft etc.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Last edited:
Lens resting on the window frame.

This one is better, but not great
7.jpg

Last edited:
Most photos I took yesterday appear to be unsharp, like they're soft, others are better but are soft etc.

View attachment 425653View attachment 425654View attachment 425655View attachment 425656View attachment 425657
Are those still heavy crops ? To be satisfied what the lens is capable of I'd suggest a controlled test shot in decent light on a tripod e.g. cereal box in the garden. I know people may say that's not what you are going to be photographing but it will give you an idea of the capabilities of the lens. If those shots look OK it's ruled out being a lens issue and can move on to look at technique, atmospheric conditions etc

Are those still heavy crops ? To be satisfied what the lens is capable of I'd suggest a controlled test shot in decent light on a tripod e.g. cereal box in the garden. I know people may say that's not what you are going to be photographing but it will give you an idea of the capabilities of the lens. If those shots look OK it's ruled out being a lens issue and can move on to look at technique, atmospheric conditions etc
100% zoom in Lightroom

Edit: I've read that heat haze can be effect the lens when it's warm inside the hide, and it's cool outside.

Last edited:
This one isn't too bad. I'm happy with this one.

I think I need more light, but the photos I took should be sharp.

I used animal and eye detection. Some photos couldn't detect the eye and the body was shot instead.

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg

As @taxboy has mentioned, I have taken photos of a cereal box (at minimum focus distance). Photos can be downloaded via my Google Drive. Please let me know if you cannot download/edit files. Thanks

Files are .CR3

Link here

If you get a cheap hot/cold shoe mount and bolt a picatinny rail to the top you should be able to use most red dot sights that are designed for guns.

My own experience is that my RF 100-500 L (cropped) outresolved the 800/11. The zoom also focuses much closer. There isn't a great weight difference between those lenses. Advantage: the zoom (except for price). I sold my 800/11.

If you get a cheap hot/cold shoe mount and bolt a picatinny rail to the top you should be able to use most red dot sights that are designed for guns.
Those things are very hard to use. They need to be calibrated for the anticipated shooting distance on every outing. You don't get confirmation that focus has been achieved, or where the focus is.

Some get great results with them though, so maybe worth a try.

test shot in decent light on a tripod e.g. cereal box in the garden
This would be pretty much a waste of time unless you are trying to rule out a very severe problem. Shooting some giant plain letters in the centre of the frame simply wouldn't tell you much. You are much better off printing a lens test chart, however TDP already did this and results are decidedly crap from this lens.

Edit: I've read that heat haze can be effect the lens when it's warm inside the hide, and it's cool outside.
haze typically requires both significant distance and heat. At least the latter is certainly not present, and presumably your subjects are still close or you should rather work on getting closer instead.

This one isn't too bad. I'm happy with this one.

I think I need more light, but the photos I took should be sharp.

I used animal and eye detection. Some photos couldn't detect the eye and the body was shot instead.

View attachment 425664View attachment 425665View attachment 425666
even this is not that great. Sharpen AI perhaps, but really this has at most 5K real resolution in it.

Also seems that R5 is pretty unusable above ISO 3200... not much different to 5Ds. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if AF accuracy goes down the toilet when you start seeing noise. R6 seems to behave the same way; it works great until it just starts missing everything in fading light.

Last edited:
From my experience I would not pay ANY attention to this site whatsoever. They list some incredibly mediocre Canon lenses as resolving quite well, and have overrated Sigma 35mm DG by an order of magnitude.

They either use some very specific methodology that doesn't translate to real life such as dead centre, at infinity and wide open, or worse they are heavily biased or plain incompetent.
DXO uses a variable MTF (contrast) based upon human vision (larger details require less contrast to see/discern). That makes their resolution numbers a bit different from any other MTF measurement. But, it is consistent and empirical... IMO it is accurate and useful for comparisons within that context.

However, many other tests seem to be highly variable/flawed when dealing with long focal lengths... long focal lengths are very sensitive to test conditions, which are often not controlled well enough to be considered accurate/reliable. Often the test standards are modified due to space/lighting constraints, without adequate consideration for how it affects the results.

100% zoom in Lightroom

haze typically requires both significant distance and heat. At least the latter is certainly not present, and presumably your subjects are still close or you should rather work on getting closer instead.
When operating from within a warm enclosure and it is colder outside you get an interface boundary of turbulence as the warm air moves towards, and mixes into, the cold air. It can happen in a hide and in a vehicle. The same thing can even happen if you take a lens out of a warm environment (auto/hide) into a cold environment... especially with a large/deep lens hood installed. It doesn't even really require "heat" perse; it only requires a notable temperature differential (e.g. the sun warming surfaces on a cold day).

Last edited:
.... this is the expensive slippery slope that led me to the big primes
There are so many tradeoffs, and even once you get into the big primes you end up in almost the same spot no matter what you do; I call it "the circle of equivalence."

When it comes to compromises like an 800/11 lens, you aren't necessarily going to be better off than any other compromised option (TC on shorter lens/zoom). The one advantage TC's and longer FL's usually have is that they cause the photographer to use settings more appropriate for the crop they impose (i.e. higher SS's). My main gripe about lenses like the 800/11 (Nikon's PF lenses, etc) is that their light weight tends to lead people to want to hand hold them and rely on stabilization...

But different people have different standards and different use needs...

My main gripe about lenses like the 800/11 (Nikon's PF lenses, etc) is that their light weight tends to lead people to want to hand hold them and rely on stabilization...
I can't see much wrong with that unless you choose wrong shutter speed for the subject. I found tripod and monopod way too restrictive for action work, and my left wrist certainly didn't appreciate 7KG combo of 600mm f/4L IS lens! That was a nice kit but effectively it required a servant which for most of us is not really an option. Since i actually don't care about much of wildlife photography unless some pheasant just begs to be shot, 400mm f/5.6 is plenty for the occasional handheld shot, or a tripod based landscape.

As @taxboy has mentioned, I have taken photos of a cereal box (at minimum focus distance). Photos can be downloaded via my Google Drive. Please let me know if you cannot download/edit files. Thanks

Files are .CR3

Link here
I can't view them for a couple of days but what are your thoughts after applying your normal processing

I can't view them for a couple of days but what are your thoughts after applying your normal processing
I'm marking them for delete. I'm editing the 'better' photos.

This would be pretty much a waste of time unless you are trying to rule out a very severe problem. Shooting some giant plain letters in the centre of the frame simply wouldn't tell you much. You are much better off printing a lens test chart, however TDP already did this and results are decidedly crap from this lens.
What it does do is potentially rule out any major issues with the lens and offer an indication of what the lens is / isn't capable of. Shooting wildlife has so many variables, so starting with confirmation that say the lens isn't decentred or has other issues allows you to consider what to look at next

So are you saying those test images are poor quality ?
Oh the test shots. I'm not editing them. Yes they're not sharp

I will say that all the photos I've seen on the internet and youtube are much sharper than my photos. I think there's something wrong with the lens, or its heat shimmer or both

Last edited:
What it does do is potentially rule out any major issues with the lens and offer an indication of what the lens is / isn't capable of. Shooting wildlife has so many variables, so starting with confirmation that say the lens isn't decentred or has other issues allows you to consider what to look at next
I would suggest if you are going to test something, then do a full stress test, not a half measures which only prolongs the problems and potentially causes you to miss a very short returns window.

I will say that all the photos I've seen on the internet and youtube are much sharper than my photos. I think there's something wrong with the lens, or its heat shimmer or both
LOL. Your lens is a very representative copy, bar some decentering which you haven't tested for to the best of our knowledge. If you downscale to 4K and sharpen it to death like the paid youtubers do you will see the same. Likewise you will never ever ever see IQ anywhere near 600mm f/4 prime, or even 400mm f/5.6 prime even on a 20MP camera. I said this like 6th time now so if that doesn't get through good luck with your search of a "better" copy

Oh the test shots. I'm not editing them. Yes they're not sharp

Ideally you'd want to rule out a lens issue. Did you use a tripod to take your test images ? You say they are not sharp is it a missed focus or camera shake issue ?

Ideally you'd want to rule out a lens issue. Did you use a tripod to take your test images ? You say they are not sharp is it a missed focus or camera shake issue ?
Lens Test Chart - Google Drive

Previous lens test and this test: Tripod, 2sec timer with IS off, spot focus, and electronic shutter. This time I turned animal detection Off, not that it will make any difference.

Before anybody says anything, I know it's not level. I have to do it outside and I don't really have anything suitable to put it on. Paper is taped to 2 sheets of corrugated (because that's all I have).

Best crap shot of a marsh harrier. 'Best' because it flew close and crap because the ISO is high, and I have a problem.

8.jpg

Last edited:
Lens Test Chart - Google Drive

Previous lens test and this test: Tripod, 2sec timer with IS off, spot focus, and electronic shutter. This time I turned animal detection Off, not that it will make any difference.

Before anybody says anything, I know it's not level. I have to do it outside and I don't really have anything suitable to put it on. Paper is taped to 2 sheets of corrugated (because that's all I have).

Best crap shot of a marsh harrier. 'Best' because it flew close and crap because the ISO is high, and I have a problem.

View attachment 425685

ISO is not the only problem.
At f11 and 1/1250s shutter your shot noise is going to be high too as your sensor is starved of light.

This is why you notice more noise in shadows than at say midtones.

This is a pretty good article on noise

Unless you are shooting is really bright condition with perfect lighting or static subjects, I really can't see this lens working well for action shots.

nothing wrong with trying but I think that it was indicated very early in the thread that you would have problems - sell it to someone in South Africa it may work there in their summer, (winter here) - I think that there is a Utube vid from SA testing the lens

You get from many the old expression, "it's not about equipment it's about the photographer" - but shooting birds you need good specific equipment and unfortunately it is relatively expensive

Last edited:
Agree its never going to provide the quality of a 600mm prime in poor light but then again in good light i think it should perform better than what you have posted but you do need to know the limitations to get the best from it.

Do miss my 500 f4 MKII but its so much easier taking the 800 out on walks etc and find that it gives reasonable results even with a 1.4tc and doesn't kill your arms when hand holding with no support.

Couple of images of mine and the second image with the 1.4x tc also so it can produce fair results in the right conditions including action shots.

0O3A6691-Enhanced-NR-XL.jpg

0O3A1215-Edit-XL.jpg

0O3A8223-Edit-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Should I ask if I can get a refund?

I have taken a lot of shots with the (very) old Nikon 300 f4 D lens, (non VR), plus the Nikon x 1.4TC attached to a now very old Nikon D300

You could buy all three above for what you paid for the 800mm f11

Cropped, (what's wrong with cropping??)

an example, taken in 2013

TP_Grass_bird.jpg

300mm with x 2 TC using D750 - ISO 1600 - taken in 2014

TP_Heron.jpg

Last edited:
Yes brand new
I would probably see if you can return it and get your money back to be honest. Would personally hire one for a weekend from a lens rental company who check their stock and see if you get the same results as it will narrow down if its a duff copy or your just having problems getting the best from you camera with that combo.

I have only opened one of the test chart shots and it looks fine. Are the others OK?

Did you take any shots of that were quite close to you?

The shots you have posted look similar to those you first posted when you got the R5.

Perhaps try a different reserve.

I have only opened one of the test chart shots and it looks fine. Are the others OK?

Did you take any shots of that were quite close to you?

The shots you have posted look similar to those you first posted when you got the R5.

Perhaps try a different reserve.
Yes they do look the same as when I first got the camera. There's a couple don't though.

There's only one shot I took that was just out of minimum focussing distance whilst out yesterday, that was of a yellow iris. It looks ok fitted to screen, but bad when 100% zoomed in because it was at ISO 6400..

There's no close shots I took today.

Back