Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

Can anyone recommend a good Canon 7D tutorial dvd? I find it easier watching someone the reading.

AEB, yes, like most cameras. HDR, no, like most cameras. (IIRC)

The 5D3 has a built in HDR mode which will take the multiple shots and merge them in camera, giving options for how the merge should look. I assume that was the background to the question. The 7D does not have an equivalent HDR mode.

Replacement Battery

Got a replacement battery for the 7D the other day. Put it in the charger and after 15 seconds or so the charger started flashing 3 times to say the battery was full. Put it in the camera, it says half full. So I put it on charge for 3 hours. Still only saying half full (even though the charger light flashing full).

Do you have to give replacement batteries longer to charge? Do any replacement batteries work properly with the 7D charger?

Is it a genuine canon battery or after market
I had an after market that did similar and lasted 2 uses before it gave up completely

Is it a genuine canon battery or after market
I had an after market that did similar and lasted 2 uses before it gave up completely

After market. I got my money back no problem. But before I shell out on a Genuine Canon one I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative that works.

Just buy genuine ones from ebay
Just buy from people not companies
Ive got 5 genuine ones from ebay
And alot cheaper in the long run from buying aftermarket

My Hahnel one charged to continuous flashing (which isn't a good sign) and only seems to charge to half.

Will send it back for replacement as Hahnel are usually good I thought.

Get the 3rd party one from Amazon guys. Works great for me only a tenner! I can't link to then atm as iam on my iPhone.

Work fine in my charger and grip. I will defo order more

Last edited:
Get the 3rd party one from Amazon guys. Works great for me only a tenner! I can't link to then atm as iam on my iPhone.

Work fine in my charger and grip. I will defo order more

Does it work with the charger correctly?

I got a cheapy from 7dayshop.com for about £10. They charge the same as the Canon ones. Although the first one went funny with the flashing lights on the charger and it not charging. 7dayshop sent a replacement no fuss and it's been fine ever since.

Sales of Lithium Batteries at 7dayshop.com have been temporarily stopped.

http://www.7dayshop.com/lithium-batteries

Am also using 3 third party batteries with no charging issues & all are recognised by the camera.

I'm using two of the ones from Amazon and have had no problems with them.

Greetings all,
first time poster but I've looked over the forums for a while.

My Canon 7D just stopped working, it wasn't wet/damp etc, I just left it in the bag after a shoot, got it out and - nothing.
I've tried different batteries in it - nothing, but they work in other cameras.
Tried it with a lens, without a lens - nothing.
CF pins are fine, micro switch on battery door clicks - so I take that it works etc?

Do you guys have any ideas of other things to try??
Also, does anyone know a good camera repair place/guy in Portsmouth hants area? I'm thinking its the mainboard, but can't be sure.

Not happy as its only 18months old:bang::bang:

A long shot, but have you also removed the clock backup battery that is slotted into the main battery compartment? You might as well also leave the card out just in case there is some card fault stopping it functioning. If that doesn't help then I'm out of ideas.

It might be worth replacing the backup battery as if this goes you get a dead camera. I've had this problem on a 1Dmk3 and it was the backup battery.

Worth a try.

Greetings all,
first time poster but I've looked over the forums for a while.

My Canon 7D just stopped working, it wasn't wet/damp etc, I just left it in the bag after a shoot, got it out and - nothing.
I've tried different batteries in it - nothing, but they work in other cameras.
Tried it with a lens, without a lens - nothing.
CF pins are fine, micro switch on battery door clicks - so I take that it works etc?

Do you guys have any ideas of other things to try??
Also, does anyone know a good camera repair place/guy in Portsmouth hants area? I'm thinking its the mainboard, but can't be sure.

Not happy as its only 18months old:bang::bang:

Hi there,

18 months is obviously not the kind of life expectancy you should get from a 7D. If it comes to the point that it needs to be repaired, don't use your own money. Take it back to the shop who sold it to you and just explain that there's no reason for it to be malfunctioning like that. A receipt would be useful, I suppose.

I've done this already, a number of times, including with a 10 month old flash I bought new off eBay. I got every penny back (including postage!).

Here is some information you may want to look at, just in case the retailer starts getting difficult with you.

If this doesn't work, get in touch with Canon UK and you'll get something sorted out.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more information :)

Thanks for the info,
Sadly the camera came from Jessops. Having already made contact with the New Jessops, they wont play ball and honour the consumer rights stuff and quite rightly they don't have to as it's another company etc.

Think I tried the backup battery about a month ago but will give it another go.

Can you try removing the lens, battery, coin cell battery and memory card and leave it for an hour or so ?
My 5d2 seemed dead after I'd mistakenly removed magic lantern from the cf card and doing the above along with formatting the card brought it back to life. I realise it's a different camera and the issue came about differently but hopefully it'll help.

Thanks guys, tried all the above - replaced batteries, left them out, CF card out, with lens and without.

All I get now is a flashing battery symbol on the top lcd, nothing else.
Not sure weather to send it to Canon for a 'quote' or take it local but I'm guessing the bills going to be £400+:(

Well a flashing battery symbol is a sign of life at least, and assuming all is well with the camera that would indicate that the battery was empty to the extent that there might be enough juice for a weak flashing symbol, but not enough to spring the whole camera to life.

I know you said you'd tried other batteries, but before you take the big, expensive leap I'd suggest making sure you have a freshly and fully charged battery and give it one last shot. You haven't much to lose by trying.

go to Canon, mine, stopped working whilst away in february at 15 months old, i complained to canon and sent it back, they arranged for it to be fixed at Lehmans at their cost, my complaint was the same as yours not what you expect from a semi pro camera

yeah, the battery flaskes as if it is empty. It flashes even when the camera is off??
The battery is new, well it was at Christmas and is fully charged and works in my 60D.

Can any recommend a zoom bag like the one pictured below that will hold a 7D and a 70-300L lens?

tamrac-pro-digital-zoom-7-black-l.jpg

Back