Canon Fetish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone else have to stick with Canon (or Nikon) accessories/lenses rather than buying Sigma, Tamron (etc)? I've always felt this way. I just feel like I'm budgeting by buying any 3rd party gear even if they're more expensive than Canon's equivalent or even better than Canon's equivalent! I'm OK with filters, bags and evening tripods but pretty much everything else is all Canon. I can't stand owning Sigma lenses.

Even down to the Canon remote for the 50D -- it was £40 and I'm aware you can get a cheap replica remote for £2 from Hong Kong with many positive reviews but I just can't bring myself to do it. Same with the battery grips.

Am I alone in this or has anyone else got a original-manufacture fetish? :LOL:

For example, I had a Sigma 10-20mm and even though many people posted shots than made the Canon 10-22mm look like it took identical shots, I had to spend £180 upgrading.

, im guessing like most people on here, i just buy the best that i can afford... if thats canon: great! if its sigma: great! if its some chinese ebay company for a random accessory: Great!... if money would stretch, i probably would go all canon... but jezz... im only a student...

, im guessing like most people on here, i just buy the best that i can afford... if thats canon: great! if its sigma: great! if its some chinese ebay company for a random accessory: Great!... if money would stretch, i probably would go all canon... but jezz... im only a student...

What he said

Anyway
istock_can-of-worms.jpg

To an extend it depends on what lens we're talking about - quite a few Sigma lenses occupy areas of the market that Canon don't cover; examples that spring to mind are the 4.5mm fisheye, 12-24, 120-300mm f/2.8, 50-500, 300-800, etc.

In general, not being made of money, I will generally go for the third-party alternative if there's a significant cost saving to be had for a small trade-off in some other respect. However, the flip-side of that is that if the Canon lens has a significant enough performance advantage over the Canon to be worth the price difference, then fair game. The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS is a good example for me - I'm prepared to save up for one rather than going for the (cheaper, and non-IS) Sigma 70-200mm.

Accessories: I generally have no qualms about batteries from respectable third parties (my spare is a Uniross), and I see no reason to pay over the odds for a Canon remote when I can spend £2.50 on a generic one that does the job perfectly well - as with fallen_mathi, being an impoverished student does concentrate the mind rather in that respect. That said, I do have a Canon grip for my 40D...:thinking:

Why not just try the £2 remote from Hong Kong, if its crap, bin it, it cost less than a pint. If you can live with it, and do the job, you saved £38.

That's what i did, it does the job, the remote, unless the lens, it doesn't make photos better.

You should go pro.

I'd love to be able to afford canon stuff and if i did i'd only be a lens and a body away from becoming a CPS member,But until such a time that i can afford canon stuff the cheaper sigma gear will have to do :D

For me - its you kind of get to know your way around a brand and its products. You can just get on with working with the gear rather than trying to fathom out/worry if you have the right menu/setting etc. :)geek:)

Rog

When Canon produce lenses that do what I need then I will consider changing them to a Canon equivalent.

But they dont.

I've got a 500mm on my to buy list, I will be saving for twice as long to buy the Canon over the Sigma, it is a better lens.

Brand loyalty for the sake of it in my opinion is blinkered. If Canon make the better product then I have no problem with that.

Would be interested to know what you do in order to be able to afford your Canon fetish, cause I'd like to get me some of that dosh... :thinking:

i will always prefer to buy canon when it is something which directly affects the image quality - so lenses, camera body, flash etc
when it comes to other stuff, like triggers, , batteries, etc then I dont think they really impact the IQ so I will try to save a few quid.

It's called being a brand whore, and you're a great example (see the threads when you were asking about a fish eye lens).

The Canon lenses are better than third party, very generally, but often not for the extra price demmanded and Canon do not always have the same choices (ie fisheye). Also there are some really amazing third party lenses such as the tamrom 17-50

For me lenses if possible are Canon 'L' lenes, because of optical and build quality, I've tried others over the years but never been as happy as with the images I get from 'L' glass, I have the Peleng 8mm as for how often it gets used I couldn't justify buying a similar Canon lens.

Alan

Accessories like remote etc, I'll buy 3rd party. But lenses, I'll stick with Canon after problems I encountered with Stigma and Tamwrong.

my kit was fairly mixed at one point but as funds allowed it is now all canon..

I have only got canon gear as I dont think any other brand
will even come close to what I have.:D

Why not just try the £2 remote from Hong Kong, if its crap, bin it, it cost less than a pint. If you can live with it, and do the job, you saved £38.

That's what i did, it does the job, the remote, unless the lens, it doesn't make photos better.

I had a cheap eBay cable remote work fine for months until it failed whilst I was out in the Lake District and miles from a camera shop.

I won't make that mistake again.

There is also the issue of, while you are saving the extra money to go for the 'branded' kit, what amazing shots are you going to miss out on?... f8 and be there rings bells at times...

batteries, you're gonna carry more than 1 spare anyway, so who cares if one dies when working in the field (whole point of spares is carry 1 more than you need...), so I definitely don't want to be forking out the stupid prices that canikon charge for spares, especially seeing as you can buy between 4 and 8 offbrand ones for the price of one offical battery, which makes for a damn expensive nikon hologram sticker on the official battery really.
Battery grips, again, not in the optical chain, and by all accounts, the knockoff ones are verging on, if not just as well built as the official canikon products, but at 1/4 of the price. No brainer imo. Ditto remote shutter releases (chances a contact comes loose is probably damn close between a knockoff and a canon £40 jobby... always got the backup of 2s timer unless you're shooting wildlife long lens...), lens and body caps, battery chargers, remote flash cables (the ttl hotshoe ones), IR studio flash triggers, etc...

I'm really looking forward to the day when Kryptix decides he needs a circular fisheye. Or an f/2.8 zoom lens that goes longer than 200mm. Oh, but wait - Canon don't make one, so there can't be any point to them, can there?

I've got my range of canon lenses and flash guns but thats more down to choice/features/cost really. I think the lenses I have at the price I paid (only one I bought new) are the best available.

Accessories are all third party because ther are better/cheaper. Higher capacity batteries, longer range wireless remote, lowepro backpacks...

There's no real point posting answers to these threads. It's not as if Kryptix has even taken the time to respond. He's probably thinking up more pointless thread topics.

i was looking at the canon mid range zooms ,,,then i found a much better non canon one ..........

NIKON :LOL:

There's no real point posting answers to these threads. It's not as if Kryptix has even taken the time to respond. He's probably thinking up more pointless thread topics.

Or he may have posted and then gone offline. Not everyone can be online the same time every day, Kryptix is often online in the early hours of the morning from memory

Or he may have posted and then gone offline. Not everyone can be online the same time every day, Kryptix is often online in the early hours of the morning from memory

You forget that you can see when people have been posting.

:plus1:

Part of the reaction to him seems to stem from jealousy,does it really matter how he afforded the gear he buys? Just let him enjoy it.

We all make choices about how to spend our money, however much we have, if those choices aren't the same as yours what does that matter?

I'm quite a fan of sigma EX lenses, I find they do they job for me and exceed my level of ability. When both the funds and ability allow I will probably upgrade to L glass, but only if the lens is a true upgrade and will produce better images, otherwise I see no point.

I'm quite a fan of sigma EX lenses, I find they do they job for me and exceed my level of ability. When both the funds and ability allow I will probably upgrade to L glass, but only if the lens is a true upgrade and will produce better images, otherwise I see no point.

Pretty much where I am really. Sigma EX are very good lenses, not quite as well put together as L glass but still very good.
Sigma also produce a few lenses that Canon have nothing to match - and those are the main reason I have EX glass.

Part of the reaction to him seems to stem from jealousy,does it really matter how he afforded the gear he buys? Just let him enjoy it.

:eek: I do have an opinion regarding many of the threads and replies that I have seen Kryptix make and I have pretty much kept quiet. But, to suggest that I have these opinions due to jealously is totally ridiculous. In fact, downright offensive to me. Politeness, manners and respect for others goes a long way in my world - That's what has got my goat, not jealousy

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but that comment pushed me into a response. Soz

BTW, I do stick to Canon lens', but happy to go third party on non IQ affecting things.

:eek: I do have an opinion regarding many of the threads and replies that I have seen Kryptix make and I have pretty much kept quiet. But, to suggest that I have these opinions due to jealously is totally ridiculous. In fact, downright offensive to me. Politeness, manners and respect for others goes a long way in my world - That's what has got my goat, not jealousy

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but that comment pushed me into a response. Soz

BTW, I do stick to Canon lens', but happy to go third party on non IQ affecting things.

Exactly my reaction too, and very well put. (Hence my first response at the top of page one).

I think I'm better off out of this thread - sorry, still OT :|

I had a cheap eBay cable remote work fine for months until it failed whilst I was out in the Lake District and miles from a camera shop.

I won't make that mistake again.

If that happens make your own, if you put a phone handsfree headphone thing in the remote hole it will set your camera off.

I'm really looking forward to the day when Kryptix decides he needs a circular fisheye. Or an f/2.8 zoom lens that goes longer than 200mm. Oh, but wait - Canon don't make one, so there can't be any point to them, can there?

The only fisheye they do is the 15mm which tbh isn't much cop on a crop body so i Deviated I know its forbidden and frowned apon to not own everything cannon but Tokina and Sigma imo make the best fisheyes :).

Im in 2 minds about this thread, is Kryptix asking a genuine question or is he being a very clever troll? Only he knows, but I not happy at some of the replies, at least have a little repect for the OP, we still dont tolerate rudeness, even if it is perceived as justified, just put him on your ignore list and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back