Canon lens repair paint.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Now firstly i know anyone who might read this will say 'Dont bother' but i'm a bugger for being a fuss arse, and I would like to touch up the niggly little bit on my L-series. I know it wont make me take better pictures, nor will it improve the lens, but hey we all have our 'ticks'.

So after research I know the part number for canon L-series touch up paint is CY9-8078-001, but I was wondering if anyone knows of an exact alternative (used to be ford beige but no longer exsists) Or would any wonderful peps on here have any they would no longer require? :help:

many thanks

Pete

Hi Pete, unfortunately I don't have any paint for an L lens (not managed to get any dings on mine yet) but just to let you know, it depends on the L lens as to what colour it actually is. Canon have changes the colour slightly on their new lenses so you'll need to tell these good people on here what lens you have.

best bet is to maybe pop into a car body repair centre see if they can mix something up, plus it'll be hard wearing car paint.

There was a chap on ebay who used to sell tins of touch-up paint that matched the Canon L series lenses - I will have a hunt around as I think I may have made note of his seller id thinking it could be useful in the future. If I find it will PM you.

I know you were able to order the paint from Canon USA as a spare part at a cost of ~$20 but when I enquired was told they were not able to ship it here to the UK as it was regarded as a flammable substance....... :nuts:

kiteninja said:
best bet is to maybe pop into a car body repair centre see if they can mix something up, plus it'll be hard wearing car paint.

If you have a "chips away" type of repair shop nearby, pop in with the code and see if they'll mix you some up. They'd be able to mix some up in very small amounts and wouldn't have thought it would be pricey

Hi, thanks for your reply. Was the ebay seller this guy? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Touch-Up-Paint-Canon-Zoom-Telephoto-EF-300mm-lenses-/200690476303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eba15a50f

I found this from searching the web but wasnt sure whether it would be as good as the original paint from canon. I have emailed the seller to ask if its OEM or copy, I had read somewhere (from a post way back in 2008) that a product that was being sold on ebay was an exact colour match but didnt leave that hammered look. I appreciate it will look touched up and it could possibly look worse, but i'm willing to give it a shot!:D

Well from a little more research I have found that Tamiya Deck Tan XF-55 and Humbrol Matt #28 are exact matches. The first being against a 300mm 2.8 is mark i.
The second, I'm not to sure about what lens, perhaps the majority. I will pop to the local hobby craft shop tomorrow and see what they have got. I certainly dont mind giving it a go!

Hi Andy thanks for the info, when you say code, do you mean the product code or paint code (or is that the same?) Would a 'Chips away' shop be able to find out colour match from this info?

Well from a little more research I have found that Tamiya Deck Tan XF-55 and Humbrol Matt #28 are exact matches. The first being against a 300mm 2.8 is mark i.
The second, I'm not to sure about what lens, perhaps the majority. I will pop to the local hobby craft shop tomorrow and see what they have got. I certainly dont mind giving it a go!

Yes the paint code, but looks like you've possibly sorted one out now (y)

Good luck

Last edited:
Guys, guys, guys

This is what you want- improve those lenses no end- happy to help:D

You can take anything to a paint mixer and they will mix you a pot of paint to match what you need to paint. Chips away are franchises who want to perform cosmetic repairs to your car not sell you a touch up pot of paint. I think the mk1 of the 300 is a slightly different colour to the mk2.

If you want the 'textured' finish, just apply small amount with a tiny bit of fine sponge.Just 'dabbing' it on. Do it in several layers and you will get a near perfect finish.

Kev.

Last edited:
I have to wonder if its worth the effort, I mean we can't all keep our kit wrapped in cotton wool so its going to get knocked etc. And I don't think it'd improve resale value, personally id rather buy a second hand lens I didn't think had been fiddled around with (let's face it the touch up isn't going to be invisible unless you're a touch up paint geneous :D).

But I guess I consider my kit more of a tool rather than for a display (not a dig just my opinion).

Hi, I appreciate your comments and as you say not a dig. I certainly do not consider my equipment as fashion accessories! If I wanted to wear something expensive to show off I'd buy a bretling watch or something. My equipment is pretty battered, old and new; I guess due to crawling around in woodlands. And I am not intending to sell anything at the moment. As stated earlier I'm just a fuss arse and thought it might be something to do on a cold winters night! incidentally I read a post recently about a well known camera sells site that would not buy a prime as they considered the lens to be poor condition. The optics were immaculate but due to heavy use and extensive paint chipping they came to this conclusion. I could argue that a car Is only a method of transport but how many of us drive around in a battered up fiat? Oh.....I do!! Anyway, onwards and upwards!!

And I don't think it'd improve resale value,

Obviously it would .. to people like Pete and myself at any rate. :LOL:

Seriously though, you only have to look at the classifieds to see that a mint lens goes for more than one with chips and dings in it.

The one thing I cannot get my head round though is this manufacture date hang up Canon users seem to have .. every time someone sells a lens on here the very first question is usually .. what's the date code. I am very new to the world of Canon so maybe it is important but as someone that is using 25 year old + lenses on another make I just find it rather strange.

If it's in warranty then maybe I could understand it (or there was some fault on a certain lens in one particular year) but as far as I know this hasn't happened.?

Obviously it would .. to people like Pete and myself at any rate. :LOL:

Seriously though, you only have to look at the classifieds to see that a mint lens goes for more than one with chips and dings in it.

The one thing I cannot get my head round though is this manufacture date hang up Canon users seem to have .. every time someone sells a lens on here the very first question is usually .. what's the date code. I am very new to the world of Canon so maybe it is important but as someone that is using 25 year old + lenses on another make I just find it rather strange.

If it's in warranty then maybe I could understand it (or there was some fault on a certain lens in one particular year) but as far as I know this hasn't happened.?

its not going to be mint though is it, like i said unless youre a car body shop tech in your day job its going to stick out. and advertising it as mint would be misleading anyway if its had a knock ;)

I actually bought the lens with dinks and scratches. All I was concerned about was whether the optics were in good order and the IS system. I didn't know the date of it, though I do now; its a 2001 manufacture. Ironically the lens when used us covered in camo gear! So as far as looking good, hopefully no-one can see me ;) like I said I'm fussy and just thought it would be a nice little project. Also if I were to sell the lens, there is no way I would try to conceal the fact that I had touched up the body. What's the point? The buyer would only see it. I had a red car with rust once and slapped red oxide all over it, in my opinion that was better than rust! Didn't make a hoot of difference to driving around. But kept me happy. Anyway I'll post before and after shots for any of you fussy people like me who are perhaps a little OCD.

Last edited:
If you have a "chips away" type of repair shop nearby, pop in with the code and see if they'll mix you some up. They'd be able to mix some up in very small amounts and wouldn't have thought it would be pricey

Easier still, find a local bodyshop supply company, most will have the facility to produce you an aerosol in any colour you wish, as long as you have either the paint code or name of the Ford colour and it'll probably work out a lot cheaper than a tiny can of Canon touch up paint....

Do whatever makes you happy, thats what I say.

Well, today I went to local hobby craft shop and bought a bottle of Tamiya xf-55.
Cost so far for bottle and a 1 tip art brush £3.00.
Expect to see my lens on eBay listed as mint / brand new this evening :wink: < I am joking of course. I will upload pictures when the job is done; for better or for worse!

pete_vincent said:
I will upload pictures when the job is done; for better or for worse!

Seems cheap enough @ £3

Think Kev's suggestion of a sponge is a good one to give you the same effect if it's more than a slight scratch.

Are you going to do a "spot the repair" comp if your repair is good ???

Just an update for those following this thread.

I will not post pic's tonight purely on the basis of the follower's that are dying to say 'told you so' or'why bother' :razz:

I have now discovered you are supposed to mix tamiya xf-2 with the tamiya xf-55. DOH!

Well needless to say the colour that I have used is slightly darker but still in ,y opinion looks better than it did! However I will take a trip down to the hobby shop in the morning and pick up the bottle of required 'flat white', do the mixing and re-paint / touch up the lens. So for all those who are waiting for results, I will post the before and after images tomorrow! Now I know it will not be perfect but it's giving me something to do on a saturday night without a beer!! :bang:

Hi All,

I've been watching this thread and was wondering if anybody knows of a touch-up paint for Nikon lens. I've looked on the bay but can't find anything.

Thanks

Grayo

Firstly, Grayo I dont know about Nikon, but perhaps you could just find a match that suits using model paint; thats what I did. Sorry I cant be of anymore help!

Well, I'll let you all be the judge of whether it was worth it.
For me, yes! I was'nt expecting miracles and the mini project was not with intentions of trying to hide anything, to sell it as mint or some such thing, just purely for my own satisfaction. I'm quite pleased with the results considering I used a cotton bud to apply the paint. Perhaps one day I will do it with an artist's airbrush! But for now its good enough!!
Of course if you are wondering, it has improved my photography no-end and my street cred has gone through the roof :nuts:

Before

6661615513_965567508f.jpg

6661620387_fa9b2047cb.jpg

6661624411_4783194053.jpg

After

Removed 'green' images......

6661647435_f40e6b8ee9.jpg

Last edited:
I still say it would be better all in black but given you haven't heeded that great advice:p looks like a decent enough job- it was always going to be hard to match it exactly both for colour and texture.

At least I know what to do if I chip my mates lens:LOL:

Just kidding in case you're reading- it's fine:D

It's turned various shades of green! :eek:

I noticed that. I thought the whole point of the exercise was to paint it white, not green.

Still, maybe he can claim it is some sort of special limited edition when he sells it. Might be more valuable that way!

So you couldn't have taken before and after pics with the same camera? Cos the after pics look like a disaster!

Back