Car buyers should have 'long, hard think' about diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The VW I'D R actually failed to beat the official time at Goodwood. It managed to beat the time in a practice run on the Saturday but failed in its attempt on the Sunday.

Not to be a party pooper or nowt but the quote below suggests otherwise unless you are going to argue against a Goodwood official -

"Confusingly, a Goodwood spokesperson told Driving.co.uk the 39.9sec time was “unofficial”, as it was set during the Qualifying session, but later changed this position, saying that any timed session over the weekend is eligible to contest the overall Hill record"

Not to be a party pooper or nowt but the quote below suggests otherwise unless you are going to argue against a Goodwood official -

"Confusingly, a Goodwood spokesperson told Driving.co.uk the 39.9sec time was “unofficial”, as it was set during the Qualifying session, but later changed this position, saying that any timed session over the weekend is eligible to contest the overall Hill record"
Not to be a party pooper, F1 cars are built to regulations. The VW isn't, it is also 4wd as opposed to the F1 rwd. The F1 car was also running grooved tyres which were designed to limit the level of grip. Tyre technology and grip has moved on a long way in that time and as the VW was running full slicks it would have had better grip.

Not to be a party pooper, F1 cars are built to regulations. The VW isn't, it is also 4wd as opposed to the F1 rwd. The F1 car was also running grooved tyres which were designed to limit the level of grip. Tyre technology and grip has moved on a long way in that time and as the VW was running full slicks it would have had better grip.

What's your point? Goodwood officials have stated that the time stands end of. Would you be this much of a pedant had the VW been an ICE........probably not.

What's your point? Goodwood officials have stated that the time stands end of. Would you be this much of a pedant had the VW been an ICE........probably not.
Not being a pedant at all. I watched most of Goodwood all weekend and on the Sunday they said that even though the time had been beaten it was an unofficial time. Goodwood have since changed their mind and allowed the unofficial time to stand.
As the article states a qualifying lap is always quicker than a racing lap. It is the racing lap that gets the greatest acknowledgement.
It's like Ford holding the 11th fastest laptime for a road car around the Nurburgring, using a tuned, 1.0 Ecoboost 3 cylinder engine. The car lapped quicker than a Lamborghini Aventador and Pagani Zonda, all because Ford built a road legal version of a Formula Ford race car. Yes the ID R times are an achievement, but only because there was no regulations the car has to conform to.
Porsche did it with one of their Le Mans cars, they filled in vents and altered the aero on the car and smashed laptimes.

It is possible to moderate and balance the throttle pedal in an ICE as well. It isn't something new just because EV has arrived.
No, but it does mean this "fact" of yours (quoted below) is completely false, made up by you in a desperate attempt to say anything bad about EV's.
Your EV will also need to use more energy to regain the speed. The fact that your car will stop in a shorter distance than mine when engine braking means you will be back on the accelerator a lot earlier than me.
(I know "the fact" was just a saying. But I was picked out earlier using a similar expression, so I'll have to point out your "fact" is wrong, despite other contributor chose to give you a pass on this obviously wrong "fact")

Not being a pedant at all. I watched most of Goodwood all weekend and on the Sunday they said that even though the time had been beaten it was an unofficial time. Goodwood have since changed their mind and allowed the unofficial time to stand.
As the article states a qualifying lap is always quicker than a racing lap. It is the racing lap that gets the greatest acknowledgement.
Since you watched it, you must have forgotten to mention how ID-R broke the record on its first try on Friday. Then the weather became less ideal and it rained most of Sunday.

The Tesla 3 performance is 4wd, the BMW is RWD.
Your point being?

It is EV's drivetrain advantage to be able to do 4WD by added an additional motor, mechanically simple. Any ICE can be made 4WD using transfer box, but it will have added weight, added complexity with more servicing requirements.

According to this pie-charge: https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-the-Tesla-Model-S-motor-weigh
Model S a motor+inverter weighs 158kg. So 3 performance and M3 would weigh very similar (within 50kg) if both were RWD. What was that about EV weighing more so not can't be high performance?

TBH this is all keyboard warrior data one-upmanship. End of the day, EV performance is currently perceived as lacking because there hasn't been many EV built for performance. Unfortunately only when manufacturers really want to sell EV's, halo cars will appear. Currently, looks like there's only 1 that really wants to sell EV, one that really wants to sell a sub-brand.

Last edited:
No, but it does mean this "fact" of yours (quoted below) is completely false, made up by you in a desperate attempt to say anything bad about EV's.

(I know "the fact" was just a saying. But I was picked out earlier using a similar expression, so I'll have to point out your "fact" is wrong, despite other contributor chose to give you a pass on this obviously wrong "fact")

Since you watched it, you must have forgotten to mention how ID-R broke the record on its first try on Friday. Then the weather became less ideal and it rained most of Sunday.

Your point being?

It is EV's drivetrain advantage to be able to do 4WD by added an additional motor, mechanically simple. Any ICE can be made 4WD using transfer box, but it will have added weight, added complexity with more servicing requirements.

So if my statement is false and it is based wholly on your comment, it just proves you are talking complete b******t in an attempt to validate your opinion. How is my comment that you will also need to use more energy to accelerate back up to speed in an ev wrong?
I also watched last years Goodwood and I was there for one day. Whilst the VW took the fastest time of the event, it failed to break the record and the weather was just fine. So it failed on 6 runs last year, it would have had two runs on the Thursday this year as they changed the format for the weekend so it didn't break the record on It's first run this year.

An additional motor also adds more weight. My car is awd and there is no additional complexity to servicing than there is on a standard Focus. I paid the exact same price as my son did for his standard fwd Focus and what others would pay for standard cars. You really ought to do some research before making your wild claims.

So if my statement is false and it is based wholly on your comment, it just proves you are talking complete b******t in an attempt to validate your opinion. How is my comment that you will also need to use more energy to accelerate back up to speed in an ev wrong?
Again, you are the one talking complete b******t in an attempt to validate your opinion.

You'll only need to use more energy to accelerate back up to speed in an EV if you slowed down more than you needed. This would not happen when you are using the accelerator pedal normally. I think I must re-iterate no car's pedal are on-off switches, this is the assumption you have to make to be able to write your post with a straight face, and you know very well the assumption is b******t.

My car is awd and there is no additional complexity to servicing than there is on a standard Focus. I paid the exact same price as my son did for his standard fwd Focus and what others would pay for standard cars. You really ought to do some research before making your wild claims.
VAG wants ££ for 4x4 gearbox oil change: https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/servicing-maintenance-fixed-price
It's not done as part of standard service. So while your statement on standard servicing is true, it may not be the whole story.
You really ought to do your research before making wild claims.

Again, you are the one talking complete b******t in an attempt to validate your opinion.

You'll only need to use more energy to accelerate back up to speed in an EV if you slowed down more than you needed. This would not happen when you are using the accelerator pedal normally. I think I must re-iterate no car's pedal are on-off switches, this is the assumption you have to make to be able to write your post with a straight face, and you know very well the assumption is b******t.

VAG wants ££ for 4x4 gearbox oil change: https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/servicing-maintenance-fixed-price
It's not done as part of standard service. So while your statement on standard servicing is true, it may not be the whole story.
You really ought to do your research before making wild claims.

You claim your Leafs Regan braking is like dropping 2-3 gears. That is severe compared to engine braking. On my way to the gym there is a hill on a 60mph road. I accelerate up to 60mph as I have just pulled out onto the road, I then take my foot off the accelerator and the car maintains 60mph as it engine brakes down the hill, there is then a hump back bridge, immediately after which it is a 40mph zone. The hump back bridge scrubs off the 20mph and I put my foot back on the pedal to maintain the 40mph speed. If your regen braking is as severe as you say, you will need to be back on the accelerator a lot sooner than me, in fact you may not even make it over the humpback bridge without doing so. Through that whole process my car uses no fuel until I put my foot back on the pedal and the accelerator is working exactly as an on/off switch.

A lot of manufacturers have maintenance free gearboxes. No topping up or oil changes required.

Last edited:
You claim your Leafs Regan braking is like dropping 2-3 gears. That is severe compared to engine braking. On my way to the gym there is a hill on a 60mph road. I accelerate up to 60mph as I have just pulled out onto the road, I then take my foot off the accelerator and the car maintains 60mph as it engine brakes down the hill, there is then a hump back bridge, immediately after which it is a 40mph zone. The hump back bridge scrubs off the 20mph and I put my foot back on the pedal to maintain the 40mph speed. If your regen braking is as severe as you say, you will need to be back on the accelerator a lot sooner than me, in fact you may not even make it over the humpback bridge without doing so. Through that whole process my car uses no fuel until I put my foot back on the pedal and the accelerator is working exactly as an on/off switch.

A lot of manufacturers have maintenance free gearboxes. No topping up or oil changes required.

In that scenario in the Leaf you wouldn't be doing full regen braking as you are not coming to a complete stop. Like any other car/driver you will be feathering the throttle to maintain transition between speed limits

In that scenario in the Leaf you wouldn't be doing full regen braking as you are not coming to a complete stop. Like any other car/driver you will be feathering the throttle to maintain transition between speed limits
But from the severity of the Regan braking described you are going to have to feather the throttle a lot sooner than in an ICE vehicle because engine braking without the need to change down gears is nowhere near severe.

Actually it can. Correct airflow at the back of a car causes the air to circulate and push the car.

No, it definitely can't! You can reduce drag by filling the void at the back of the car as best as is possible but you certainly can not get airflow to push the car once it has travelled over it.

But from the severity of the Regan braking described you are going to have to feather the throttle a lot sooner than in an ICE vehicle because engine braking without the need to change down gears is nowhere near severe.
Unless you drive using the accelerator like a light switch feathering the throttle between fully on and fully off will not induce full regen braking as the fly by wire system knows that its not at 0

Unless you drive using the accelerator like a light switch feathering the throttle between fully on and fully off will not induce full regen braking as the fly by wire system knows that its not at 0

So in that scenario would the EV be doing any regen at all, i.e. putting any energy back into the battery or as the accelerator is feathered/engaged would the EV not be using energy to go down hill where the ICE would be using no fuel.
Or is the regen braking clever enough to realize what is going on and manage to regen some power?

The above is a serious question as I don't know too much detail regarding regen braking. I used to race Electric RC cars where 'lifting off' a little was effectively braking as it lowered the speed of the motor, it was easy to slide the RC cars under 'braking' via the motor speed alone! The drive of the RC cars was connected to the motor on a permanent basis via belt and driveshafts and all wheel drive (could change the diffs to change off power characteristics but that's completely off topic :) )

So in that scenario would the EV be doing any regen at all, i.e. putting any energy back into the battery or as the accelerator is feathered/engaged would the EV not be using energy to go down hill where the ICE would be using no fuel.
Or is the regen braking clever enough to realize what is going on and manage to regen some power?

The above is a serious question as I don't know too much detail regarding regen braking. I used to race Electric RC cars where 'lifting off' a little was effectively braking as it lowered the speed of the motor, it was easy to slide the RC cars under 'braking' via the motor speed alone! The drive of the RC cars was connected to the motor on a permanent basis via belt and driveshafts and all wheel drive (could change the diffs to change off power characteristics but that's completely off topic :) )

I don't know the true mechanics of how it works I just understand it in practice when driving the car that if the accelerator is not depressed or the signal is a 0 then full regen braking takes full effect.
If you have a hint of throttle there is no obvious "feeling" (the key word here) of regen braking taking place.

You are missing the point. Take your foot off the pedal. An ice vehicle engine brakes and the EV starts to Regan braking. If as our friend has assured us, Regan braking in his leaf is like dropping 2-3 gears the EV will slow a lot quicker and in a shorter distance. You will then have to start feathering the throttle to smoothly retain the speed than you would with an ICE engine braking.

Unless your engine cuts out when you apply the brake, your ICE car is definitely burning fuel.

No, it definitely can't! You can reduce drag by filling the void at the back of the car as best as is possible but you certainly can not get airflow to push the car once it has travelled over it.
The evidence I saw was back in the eighties so can't find a picture or anything to prove it. But basically the back end of the car has to be a specific shape when the airflow had passed over and under the car, the air from over the top rolled down and over on itself pressing on the rear of the car as it does so. It's the reason why some cars will get filthy dirty on the back whilst others remain clean.

Unless your engine cuts out when you apply the brake, your ICE car is definitely burning fuel.
The second you hit the brake the engine will still be burning fuel but the injectors will shut off soon after as the engine has no need to fire to keep the engine turning. The only way the engine will remain firing when braking is if the clutch is disengaged or you have put the car in neutral.

You are missing the point. Take your foot off the pedal. An ice vehicle engine brakes and the EV starts to Regan braking. If as our friend has assured us, Regan braking in his leaf is like dropping 2-3 gears the EV will slow a lot quicker and in a shorter distance. You will then have to start feathering the throttle to smoothly retain the speed than you would with an ICE engine braking.
If you take your foot off the pedal in a leaf one of two things can happen depending on what mode your in (this bit is the bit that needs proper understanding on here).
If you are in e-pedal mode and you release the accelerator full force regen kicks in and will bring you to a stand still and at a decent pace.
If you're not in e pedal mode you can still get regen braking but less forceful and therefore less requirement to get back on the pedal so much.

E-pedal is more adapt at town driving whilst faster roads will benefit from normal regen braking that is less aggressive and thus reducing the need to pick your speed back up so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
The evidence I saw was back in the eighties so can't find a picture or anything to prove it. But basically the back end of the car has to be a specific shape when the airflow had passed over and under the car, the air from over the top rolled down and over on itself pressing on the rear of the car as it does so. It's the reason why some cars will get filthy dirty on the back whilst others remain clean.

If the air that has passed over the car then pushes it along the coefficient of drag would be zero - there isn't a single car like this. Drag is because a vacuum develops behind the car and the 'suction' pulls it backwards - we know this commonly as drag.

If the air that has passed over the car then pushes it along the coefficient of drag would be zero - there isn't a single car like this. Drag is because a vacuum develops behind the car and the 'suction' pulls it backwards - we know this commonly as drag.
Drag coefficient is the drag caused by a body passing through air or a fluid. The better more streamlined the body shape the lower the drag coefficient.
The only way you could end up with zero drag coefficient is for the push to equal the drag of the air over the car body, but it doesn't.

Last edited:
If you have a hint of throttle there is no obvious "feeling" (the key word here) of regen braking taking place.

In that scenario (in a first gen. Leaf), you can still get a bit of regen (leaving autocorrect to make that Regan is pure laziness) braking (depending on gradient). First gen. Leafs don't have full E-pedal mode but can be driven in town only using the brakes to come to a complete stop on the flat or down gradients BUT that gives following drivers little clue as to your slowing down so I tend to press the pedal just enough to light the brake lights as a hint to following drivers.

If your throttle is held at a position where there is zero power going in or out of the motor. In some cars, this behaviour is configurable via infotainment or flappy paddle (lift off = no regen). It is akin to coasting in neutral gear. You don't get regenerative braking and motor has very little internal resistance to slow you down. No energy is consumed or captured.
In ICE, you will have to coast to achieve similar effect. But not having the wheels drive the engine burns fuel, the engine is effectively idling. Having the engine drive the wheel doesn't burn fuel, but it will slow you down quicker than not energised electric drivetrain.

EV drivetrain actually very simple. You put energy into the motor to speed up. You capture that energy from the motor to slow down. (there will always be conversion losses, no energy conversion is 100% efficient) Zero energy flow and your car will coast according to Newton's laws.

RC car probably have a larger motor power to weight ratio. So the speed is more dictated by motor speed than vehicle momentum. There is also possibility that the RC controller directly controls the motor speed, rather than EV throttle pedal where it controls the input energy to simulate ICE car "gas" pedal.

No, YOU are missing the point at the start of this post. But finally gets it near the end, still decides to keep arguing though. Everything is configurable in an EV.
You can choose to feather the throttle pedal to drive, effectively drive with one pedal. The brake pedal is only used in an emergency.

stupar mentioned E-pedal is a Nissan marketing name. But it does slightly more thing than standard regenerative braking. When you arrive at complete stop, E-pedal holds the car using frictional brakes like auto-hold until you press the accelerator pedal. At low speed, other EV may apply torque to wheels to mimic automatic gearbox, some EV may roll on an incline because motor is not energised to counter gravity. This auto-hold on stop feature of E-pedal helps you to do more stop-start driving with a single pedal.

This tail design?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback

In that scenario (in a first gen. Leaf), you can still get a bit of regen (leaving autocorrect to make that Regan is pure laziness) braking (depending on gradient). First gen. Leafs don't have full E-pedal mode but can be driven in town only using the brakes to come to a complete stop on the flat or down gradients BUT that gives following drivers little clue as to your slowing down so I tend to press the pedal just enough to light the brake lights as a hint to following drivers.
Odd, my '64 reg Leaf in any of the 4 modes (Eco and D/B, making 4 configurable modes) only slows down to the speed mimicking automatic gearbox lifting off brake pedal. I always have to press brake pedal to come to a complete stop.

The lack of brake light in B mode is a design flaw with this first design attempt at EV.

All EV's sold today will light up the brake light when speed decrease is higher than normal ICE car lifting off the throttle pedal. IIRC, I've heard brake will light up when deceleration is >0.2g.

Drag coefficient is the drag caused by a body passing through air or a fluid. The better more streamlined the body shape the lower the drag coefficient.
The only way you could end up with zero drag coefficient is for the push to equal the drag of the air over the car body, but it doesn't.

I think you need to read this:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Analysing-Road-Car-Drag&A=113227

No air can push the vehicle forward like you stated; in fact the main cause of drag is exactly as I described - separation drag & is the main contributor to the vehicles drag and exactly the opposite of what you described.

Last edited:
you can still get a bit of regen (leaving autocorrect to make that Regan is pure laziness)
Not laziness at all for some reason my phone cars started auto correcting regen. I simply hadn't noticed it had done it on those occasions. Writing this post it decided to correct it to regent, but I noticed it as I was watching to see if it would try to replace it with Regan again.

I think you need to read this:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Analysing-Road-Car-Drag&A=113227

No air can push the vehicle forward like you stated; in fact the main cause of drag is exactly as I described - separation drag & is the main contributor to the vehicles drag and exactly the opposite of what you described.
That article seems to assume all airflow is only above the body and along the sides. It totally ignores the airflow under the car.

May well have been. What I remember seeing was a rudimentary drawing of the airflow over the car outline and down the back. At the point of the small vertical area where all the air started to meet again at varying degrees of pressure, the air scrolls over on itself applying a small amount of pressure against the small vertical section.
I had a mk1 Fiesta. The rear screen not as flat an angle as the Kammback but still with a small verticle tail end. That small vertical area would always get filthy dirty in winter, I was forever cleaning the rear number plate and lights. Adding a rear spoiler just behind the rear window, whilst improving downforce on the rear of the car, and prevents the air from scrolling. Resulting in very little dirt on the lights and number plate.

That article seems to assume all airflow is only above the body and along the sides. It totally ignores the airflow under the car.
You clearly have no idea regarding aerodynamics so there is no point continuing - if you want to believe a car can be pushed along by the airflow over the vehicle you have been smoking something strange! It's far better to accept you made a really stupid statement than to keep spouting rubbish!

Jay Leno, a "gear head" (whatever that is), now sees electric cars as ‘the future’, and "praises Tesla reliability".
https://electrek.co/2019/08/07/tesl...eno-who-now-sees-electric-cars-as-the-future/
“I have a Tesla. I’ve had it for three years. I’ve never done anything. There’s no fluids to change. There’s nothing.”
“For new technology to succeed, it can’t be equal. It’s got to be better and [Tesla] sort of solved the battery problem. It can go 350 to 400 miles at a charge. … There’s no maintenance. They’re faster than the gas car. So there’s almost no reason to have a gas car unless you’re doing long-haul duty.”

Tesla making misleading claims regarding Model 3 safety in America and not for the first time neither. Previously they claimed the Model S had recieved a 5.4 rating when the testing body only rates to 5.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/electrek.co/2019/08/07/tesla-misleading-safety-claims-nhtsa/amp/
The "misleading" accusation came from the testing agency that would have preferred all manufacturers use their coarse 5 star rating system. Tesla published more detailed data from their test results.
Unlike EuroNCAP, NHTSA only publish using star ratings, not many people is going to deep dive into their technical report PDF: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/TESLA/MODEL%25203/4%2520DR/RWD#safety-ratings-frontal

It's like last batch of cars all got 5 starts EuroNCAP results. Tesla Model 3 had a clear lead in active safety features, so they publish "we have the safest active safety features". The information published is not misleading because the information is technically correct. Otherwise, all the 5 star cars seem the same.

I guess this is another motor industry's quirk, where the highest standard (5 star safety rating) has been set at just above average level, allowing for imperfections and most cars to get highest rating.

Tesla making misleading claims regarding Model 3 safety in America and not for the first time neither. Previously they claimed the Model S had recieved a 5.4 rating when the testing body only rates to 5.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/electrek.co/2019/08/07/tesla-misleading-safety-claims-nhtsa/amp/

Did you read that article? The author doesn't see the NHTSA's point, it's appears it's pretty much a non story. .

elektrek said:
All this stuff appears to be semantics. I don’t think NHTSA is claiming in any way that Tesla’s claims are false.
Model 3 may well have achieved “the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA” based on their data.

However, NHTSA only wants automakers to advertise their safety ratings through its more simplistic 5-star rating system.

That’s why they didn’t like Tesla claiming 5.4-star or “lowest probability of injury” by looking deeper into the data.

I don’t see the NHTSA’s point. If they provide this data to the automakers and they used it accurately, it shouldn’t be an issue. I have yet to clearly see NHTSA saying that Tesla has misinterpreted the data.

Here's a Ford one, for balance
https://leftlanenews.com/ford/ford-responds-to-misleading-report-on-transmission-problems/

The "misleading" accusation came from the testing agency that would have preferred all manufacturers use their coarse 5 star rating system. Tesla published more detailed data from their test results.
Unlike EuroNCAP, NHTSA only publish using star ratings, not many people is going to deep dive into their technical report PDF: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/TESLA/MODEL%25203/4%2520DR/RWD#safety-ratings-frontal

It's like last batch of cars all got 5 starts EuroNCAP results. Tesla Model 3 had a clear lead in active safety features, so they publish "we have the safest active safety features". The information published is not misleading because the information is technically correct. Otherwise, all the 5 star cars seem the same.

I guess this is another motor industry's quirk, where the highest standard (5 star safety rating) has been set at just above average level, allowing for imperfections and most cars to get highest rating.
From what I have read, the model 3 is only safest in it's class, there are other cars in other classes that have proved safer in some respects than the model 3, but Tesla has stated that the car is the safest car that the NHTSA has tested. Basically Tesla have given the car a rating that just doesn't exist.
Crash tests aren't just about getting a safety rating they have to achieve a minimum standard which is why some cars built in China can not be sold on Europe. A 5 star rating hasn't been set at just above average level, it is a case of most new cars today achieve a 5 star rating. It isn't that long ago where the majority of cars could only achieve a 4 star rating and it was a rare occurrence for a car to get 5 stars.

Did you read that article? The author doesn't see the NHTSA's point, it's appears it's pretty much a non story. .

Here's a Ford one, for balance
https://leftlanenews.com/ford/ford-responds-to-misleading-report-on-transmission-problems/
I did read the article and several others too. Basically Tesla are giving the impression that the NHTSA have said that the model 3 is the safest car when the NHTSA have made no such statement. The NHTSA have every right not to like a manufacturer making such claims on their behalf.

Not really sure how you feel your Ford story provides any balance or even relevance for that matter.

I did read the article and several others too. Basically Tesla are giving the impression that the NHTSA have said that the model 3 is the safest car when the NHTSA have made no such statement. The NHTSA have every right not to like a manufacturer making such claims on their behalf.

It just seems your main purpose is to discredit Tesla at all costs. Nobody was mentioning safety (at least not recently in the thread) and you post an article where the headline appears to knock a competitor. When you read it it's just an interpretation of figures which is neither here or there for most folk. The car still seems to have achieved the best rating which is what people are interested in.

Fords attempts to play down what appears to be a known engineering fault are of more concern to me

Developmemnt Engineer said:
Ford allegedly ignored a development engineers warning that the "car's weren't roadworthy," then declined to "make an expensive change" to the transmission technology.

And yes, I'm deliberately incorrectly attributing the quote to "Development Engineer"

Last edited:
From what I have read, the model 3 is only safest in it's class, there are other cars in other classes that have proved safer in some respects than the model 3, but Tesla has stated that the car is the safest car that the NHTSA has tested. Basically Tesla have given the car a rating that just doesn't exist.
Your source to disprove this graph? This graph (came from Electrek article you linked, but do note the non-zero axis) claims to be "top 50 vehicles tested by NHTSA", completely opposite of what you are saying.
m3-nhtsa-blog-09272018-1-e1565182103728.jpg

A 5 star rating hasn't been set at just above average level, it is a case of most new cars today achieve a 5 star rating. It isn't that long ago where the majority of cars could only achieve a 4 star rating and it was a rare occurrence for a car to get 5 stars.
So that's how it is. The industry feels "just above average" safety level is worth a full mark. Making it difficult for the customers to choose safest car available.

I feel Tesla, being different again, say their car as "safest tested" is a valid statement, not misleading at all. Just because industry and testing agency doesn't like representing data like this, doesn't mean the information is wrong.

It just seems your main purpose is to discredit Tesla at all costs. Nobody was mentioning safety (at least not recently in the thread) and you post an article where the headline appears to knock a competitor. When you read it it's just an interpretation of figures which is neither here or there for most folk. The car still seems to have achieved the best rating which is what people are interested in.
Tesla Model 3 being the "safest" car was mentioned in the last couple of weeks. I would classify that as recent.
Tesla have a habit of misrepresentation. As already mentioned they gave the model S a 5.4 safety rating yet the maximum rating is 5. In Germany Tesla were told to stop misrepresentation of the pricing of their vehicles giving an equivalent price to not having to buy petrol/diesel instead of the actual price of the car. Tesla repeated the exact same practice at the beginning of this year and were told to stop again.
I am not discrediting Tesla at all, they are doing a fantastic job of that themselves, even to the point of rewording their original mission statement.

Tesla Model 3 being the "safest" car was mentioned in the last couple of weeks. I would classify that as recent.
Tesla have a habit of misrepresentation. As already mentioned they gave the model S a 5.4 safety rating yet the maximum rating is 5. In Germany Tesla were told to stop misrepresentation of the pricing of their vehicles giving an equivalent price to not having to buy petrol/diesel instead of the actual price of the car. Tesla repeated the exact same practice at the beginning of this year and were told to stop again.
I am not discrediting Tesla at all, they are doing a fantastic job of that themselves, even to the point of rewording their original mission statement.
And you do it again :LOL:
Car manufacturers and pricing policy is a black art at best. They're all guilty of misleading customers with dubious sales practices. Tell us something we don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back