Cricket - Focal lengths

Off to Lords next week for the Eng v Windies test match.

Looking at the regulations, I can only bring in a lens up to 200mm.
Can I get away with sticking in a x2 teleconverter in my picnic bag to go on my z70-200?

I've emailed the media department in the hope I can get a media pass but I think there's more chance of Liz Hurley coming round for tea tonight than somehow jumping the system to get a pass but at least I've tried :)

Because I shoot Nikon I have found that the 300mm and the 500mm Nikon PF's are good to have on two bodies for sports day - (grand) kids cricket and football matches etc.,

Last edited:
Off to Lords next week for the Eng v Windies test match.

Looking at the regulations, I can only bring in a lens up to 200mm.
As is often the case, the regulations have been written by someone who doesn't have much of a clue. About cameras or English.

Any camera tripods, monopods, lenses with a total focal length of greater than 200mm or commercial digital video equipment or sound recording equipment is strictly prohibited unless authorised by MCC.

Tripods with a focal length...

Lenses with a total focal length. Does this mean you add up the total focal lengths of all your lenses? Or maybe a 70-200 is 270mm :D

Tripods with a focal length...

Lenses with a total focal length. Does this mean you add up the total focal lengths of all your lenses? Or maybe a 70-200 is 270mm :D

English comprehension is a wonderful thing. Which is why there is no comma after the word 'lenses', limiting the subclause about focal length to just that word.

English comprehension is a wonderful thing. Which is why there is no comma after the word 'lenses', limiting the subclause about focal length to just that word.
Ah yes, thanks.

And the total focal length…?

Ah yes, thanks.

And the total focal length…?
my reading of this means take all your lenses and add up their focal lengths. TCs is a question, it's a lens and doesn't have its own focal length.... ;)

I tried shooting a football match, one where I could get behind the goal and at the touchline. I had a 60-600mm zoom on a D850 and found that the 600mm was pretty much useless for capturing the action and most of my useful pictures were taken at about 200-300mm and then cropped in in PP. The reason the long length was no good was that it was impossible to follow the action as if the ball or the footballers moved too quickly, any good shot was lost because I couldn't keep up. Using a shorter length and cropping in after the event was a much better method and with your Z8 you have plenty of scope for cropping and still getting sharp images.
It all depends on what you're aiming for, and your own levels of skill. I found exactly the same as you - the longer length meant I couldn't follow the ball / players fast enough (aside from the ISO having to be high as well). I reverted to an 80-200 and that did enough for me.

I think that demonstrates the point perfectly. Get Marty McFly to drop off a modern mirrorless camera with insane autofocus and zooms that are nearly as good as primes combined with rapid burst rates and we'd see what would happen.
We probably wouldn't have been awarded the third goal....!

Back