D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

johnb said:
Interesting, i use 2000mah batteries & even new they are taking 10+ seconds to recycle- need some new ones me thinks.

What batteries do others use?
I used eneloops in mine (2000mah) and the longest it took to cycle was a few seconds... I suspect your cells are at end-of-life as you say, but there could be a problem with the flash.

My advice on batteries is don't be swayed by capacity of NiMH cells, look for low self-discharge batteries like eneloops instead.

johnb said:
Interesting, i use 2000mah batteries & even new they are taking 10+ seconds to recycle- need some new ones me thinks.

What batteries do others use?

I'm not sure as I don't know the spec but maybe it's a combination of the batteries being near death and the flash may just not have a great recycle as standard.

I've had mine for about a year now after moving from the D60. What an improvement that was !! If only for the screen on the top :)

Anyone had any experience with the 70-200 F2.8 or the 300mm F4 lens with a D90 ?

I recently purchased one of these lenses from Amazon. Not very happy at the moment with it. Attached is a shot of the latest addition to our clan, our Great grandson. To me this is not as sharp as it should be, what do peeps think ?

Camera set to P.
ISO Auto - 200
Aperture f4.5
Shutter 1/80
Auto white bance.
Available light(no flash)

_DSC0005.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I recently purchased one of these lenses from Amazon. Not very happy at the moment with it. Attached is a shot of the latest addition to our clan, our Great grandson. To me this is not as sharp as it should be, what do peeps think ?

Camera set to P.
ISO Auto - 200
Aperture f4.5
Shutter 1/80
Auto white bance.

[IMG][/QUOTE]

Can't tell anything from the small image.

But the DX 35mm is sharp at f/1.8, so perhaps try the lens on a tripod focusing on a still object.

Thanks for your reply.
I thought maybe a larger aperture, besides as you say a tripod.

Camera set to P.
ISO Auto - 200
Aperture f4.5
Shutter 1/80
Auto white bance.
Available light(no flash)

_DSC0005.jpg
[/IMG]

I have the 50mm 1.8 and at those similar settings its sharp even in raw.

But as said a larger picture might be easier to see

exif reads different from your settings slightly

EXIF Sub IFD

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) {0x829A} = 1/60 second ===> 0.01667 second
Lens F-Number / F-Stop {0x829D} = 4/1 ===> ƒ/4
ISO Speed Ratings {0x8827} = 200
Original Date/Time {0x9003} = 2012:03:25 17:38:42
Exposure Bias (EV) {0x9204} = 0/1 ===> 0
Flash {0x9209} = Flash did not fire
Focal Length {0x920A} = 35/1 mm ===> 35 mm

Anyone looking for a genuine mb-d80 grip with genuine nikon battery give me a yell

Jjm said:
Anyone looking for a genuine mb-d80 grip with genuine nikon battery give me a yell

I'm tempted by one, but suspect you should use the classified section to advertise, if you have one for sale.

I'm tempted by one, but suspect you should use the classified section to advertise, if you have one for sale.

I will be:)

Which AF do you guys use for general work except sports. AF-a or AF-s? And static or dynamic focusing area?

Riz said:
Which AF do you guys use for general work except sports. AF-a or AF-s? And static or dynamic focusing area?
AF-A seems clever enough to switch to continuous when something's moving so that's what I tend to use. I've been using single point focus for years on other cameras, but am coming round to the benefits of dynamic points. Still on the fence a bit tho :)

I'm not sure whether Af-a is all its cracked up to be. Seems to struggle with slight movement.

Riz said:
I'm not sure whether Af-a is all its cracked up to be. Seems to struggle with slight movement.
Use AF-C then, that's what it's there for (y)

Riz said:
Not that much movement!!! But slight head movement.

What about the area I normally use static is dynamic much better? Struggled to see much of a difference myself

I've had mine a year now and love it. However, I still don't know what the DOF preview button does...

doublem1 said:
I've had mine a year now and love it. However, I still don't know what the DOF preview button does...
Modern cameras only stop the lens down to the selected aperture when the shutter is pressed, my understanding is that button lets you stop the aperture while its pressed, supposedly the darker bits of the resulting image you see in the viewfinder are the bits that'll be out of focus. I never use it personally, and suspect it's another hangover from film cameras when you couldn't just review and hit delete if you don't like the image.

Modern cameras only stop the lens down to the selected aperture when the shutter is pressed, my understanding is that button lets you stop the aperture while its pressed, supposedly the darker bits of the resulting image you see in the viewfinder are the bits that'll be out of focus. I never use it personally, and suspect it's another hangover from film cameras when you couldn't just review and hit delete if you don't like the image.

When you stop down you let less light through the lens, that's why it looks dark when you press the DOF preview button.

TBH it's not something I use.

Great stuff, thanks guys.

Seem to have a slight problem with my D90 with the focus spot.

When I take the camera out of the bag and switch on the focusing spot is always on the right of centre. I reset it to centre, press the okay button and it stays there. I then put the camera away until I need it again, when I get it out of the bag again there is the focusing spot to the right of centre again.

Anyone else with this problem or how do I get it to leave the focusing spot in the centre.

Seem to have a slight problem with my D90 with the focus spot.

When I take the camera out of the bag and switch on the focusing spot is always on the right of centre. I reset it to centre, press the okay button and it stays there. I then put the camera away until I need it again, when I get it out of the bag again there is the focusing spot to the right of centre again.

Anyone else with this problem or how do I get it to leave the focusing spot in the centre.

Theres a lock button/switch on the back of the D90 that will stop the focus point from moving from the centre.

Theres a lock button/switch on the back of the D90 that will stop the focus point from moving from the centre.

Thanks I will look into that. :bonk:

Found the switch to be in the lock position. (ie pointing to the white dot).

Last edited:
i have just purchased an sb-700 for my d90, what batteries would you guys recommend for it?

dragondan84 said:
i have just purchased an sb-700 for my d90, what batteries would you guys recommend for it?
Eneloops. Been using them in flashes and other high drain applications for years, they just do the job (y)

I use Camlinks... Excellent rechargeables, hold a charge ages, quick to recharge when using their charger as well.

Picked one up Saturday from the classifieds here,absolute bargain.Very impressed with it so far and just scanned through this thread and found out about the easy ISO feature.I really should read the manual.:LOL:

Hello,

I've just noticed over the weekend that my D90 seems to have developed some kind of fault!! Now I'm hoping this is an easy fix especially as the warranty ran out at the end of March!!

Basically the SD card access light constantly flases (when a card is inserted) when the camera is switched off! This then kills the battery over time. I've tried 2 different cards on the camera and get the same problem.

After looking round on here I havent found anything reported about this but I may have missed it!

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Thanks

Simon

Back