Dance - Rehearsal Studio

Name
Drew
Edit My Images
No
My first time sharing in this section...go easy!

These are from last year when I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a couple of hours in the rehearsal studio with Victoria who is an outstanding ballet dancer. It was very much an improvised collaboration with the only preconceived element being that the shots would be mono.

8300977301_4f40b615df_c.jpg

8300978539_36cae24034_c.jpg

8302031574_678decb495_c.jpg

8302063290_990365006d_c.jpg

Last edited:
Love dance and a lovely set you have shared. No 4 would be my favourite, really feel the movement.

It would have been interesting to play with the mirrors more - in those where they are featured in you could have made more use of them, currently they are more a distraction than an addition.

I think it would have been interesting to have some with a shallower depth of field to isolate Victoria more.

All in all love them

Donald

Love dance and a lovely set you have shared. No 4 would be my favourite, really feel the movement.

It would have been interesting to play with the mirrors more - in those where they are featured in you could have made more use of them, currently they are more a distraction than an addition.

I think it would have been interesting to have some with a shallower depth of field to isolate Victoria more.

All in all love them

Donald

Thanks Donald, I appreciate your comments.

there are others where the mirrors do feature more but by and large, they were a distraction. I wanted to avoid 'cliche' mirror shots to be honest. :)

The first two were shot in available light (fading window light and ceiling light) at f2.8 and f3.5 at 1/160th and 1/100th respectively at 1600 ISO the second two were also at f2.8 @ 250th and 200 ISO with a studio head bounced of the high ceiling. Without more distance (which was limited) DoF is as shallow as it's going to get.

In fact, your point about the mirrors reminded me why we turned to use the back wall. There were so many distracting elements in and around the mirrors that I wanted to keep out of the shot (including me!) and as the window light faded, we got to f2.8 / 100th /3200 ISO so we switched the other way and used the studio flash on the ceiling which gave us an enormous downlighting 'softbox'!. In this one we're at f2.8/250th and 2500 ISO.

Thanks again for your comments.

Drew

8184665145_97915b27ca_c.jpg

Last edited:
The last out of the first set is a belter.

Reminds me of a scottish painter (Lee Robertson - not all that famous/well know) who did a whole series of paintings on this theme (you could tell she'd worked from photographic reference as she'd painted boketh!).

DT01 said:
My first time sharing in this section...go easy!

These are from last year when I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a couple of hours in the rehearsal studio with Victoria who is an outstanding ballet dancer. It was very much an improvised collaboration with the only preconceived element being that the shots would be mono.

Is it me or does each shot have a halo around the subject?!

Wow a very powerful collection, I like them all, works very well in B&B.:)

The last out of the first set is a belter.

Reminds me of a scottish painter (Lee Robertson - not all that famous/well know) who did a whole series of paintings on this theme (you could tell she'd worked from photographic reference as she'd painted boketh!).

Thanks Stevie. I'll look her up. :)

E.T.A. Looked her up....I'd be interested to know how many of her £2k works she sells!

Last edited:
what a perfect moment in the last one to hit the shutter. Well done!

Out of curiosity, for the last one did you use a burst or a single shot pre-empting the right moment?

Thank you for those shots. Terrific. We've watched Victoria dance many times from when she first joined BRB. She's quite a unique dancer.

what a perfect moment in the last one to hit the shutter. Well done!

Out of curiosity, for the last one did you use a burst or a single shot pre-empting the right moment?

Thank you Alex, that was a single shot, second take! We looked at the first one and I asked could she, 'do the same but close the lower leg up a bit'...this was the next shot! Shooting with talented perfectionists can be very rewarding!

Last edited:
Thank you for those shots. Terrific. We've watched Victoria dance many times from when she first joined BRB. She's quite a unique dancer.

:) You're welcome Paul. I've only seen the last couple of years of her career but she has always stood out as having that extra 'something'. I'm very fortunate to have done a number of shoots with her and she's always awesome!

Nice work, using available light is always going to be hard work, I do some occassional theatre work and flash is verbotten, so to get crisp motion shots is good to see. You said you has conceived the pictures in mono, but with ISO in the 2500, 3200 area was there a lot of grain in the colour copies, I try to keep in the "upto 1600 range" with my 5DII to keep the noise down. Again good shots well taken.

Nice work, using available light is always going to be hard work, I do some occassional theatre work and flash is verbotten, so to get crisp motion shots is good to see. You said you has conceived the pictures in mono, but with ISO in the 2500, 3200 area was there a lot of grain in the colour copies, I try to keep in the "upto 1600 range" with my 5DII to keep the noise down. Again good shots well taken.

Thanks Mike:) While these were taken on a D700 the grain is certainly evident at the higher ISO's. When the light went, it dropped off rapidly. The mono approach was because firstly, we were trying to evoke a sense of times past and secondly, with the amount of distractions in the scene, the range of colour would have been too much. Consequently, I didn't spend any time considering the colour versions.

Good thinking, I see what you mean with a coloured background it would have been a distraction from the subject. The mono approach is spot on.

i really like these. The framing, movement and detail that can be seen in her muscle tone is fantastic.

3 and 4 are my favourites.

3 is just simplicity, but the expression is is great.

4 really gives a sense of movement.

Another to add to my list of to do's in 2013.!!!

Rgds

i really like these. The framing, movement and detail that can be seen in her muscle tone is fantastic.

3 and 4 are my favourites.

3 is just simplicity, but the expression is is great.

4 really gives a sense of movement.

Another to add to my list of to do's in 2013.!!!

Rgds

Many thanks Greg, thanks for taking the time to comment, much appreciated.
:)

I really like these as well. I think it is a combination of the simplicity and the lack of effort showing in Victoria's face. She just makes it look so easy.

To be fair, I couldn't do the pose in No.1 without snapping a tendon!

I really like these as well. I think it is a combination of the simplicity and the lack of effort showing in Victoria's face. She just makes it look so easy.

To be fair, I couldn't do the pose in No.1 without snapping a tendon!

Thanks Duggie :) To be fair, she is at the top of her game and manages to make it all look so easy whether in performance or in the studio.

Back