Fahrenheit?

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Just saw one of my friends make a reference to the temperature in Fahrenheit. I didn't think anyone used it these days!
Do you still think of the temperature in that way?

I tend to think c, but still do the f calculation in my head :LOL:

It used to be common to talk about cold weather temperature in Centigrade and hot in Fahrenheit.

'Older' people were fine with Fahrenheit as that is what they were brought up with but were equally o.k. with 0 degrees C being freezing point as it sounds more logical than 32 degrees F.

Steve.

Gradually adjusting to C rather than F for weather temp.

I understand what 90 degrees F feels like, but not sure what 23C (or whatever the equivalent is) feels like.

Funnily enough, as Steve says, 0 degrees as freezing makes total sense and I do think of cold in terms of C.

Weird eh?

America's measure temperature in Fahrenheit.
Absolutely!
They work mostly in "imperial" .
Their gallons are SMALLER than ours, though, which I find quite astonishing :D

Gradually adjusting to C rather than F for weather temp.

I understand what 90 degrees F feels like, but not sure what 23C (or whatever the equivalent is) feels like.

Funnily enough, as Steve says, 0 degrees as freezing makes total sense and I do think of cold in terms of C.

Weird eh?
Just remember the easy ones:

16C is 61F
28C is 82F

There is NO logic to Fahrenheit - at least with Celsius it's easy to remember ie 0 degrees=freezing, 100 degrees=boiling

It's a bit like pounds for weight - at least 1kg = 1 litre of water and it divides down nicely and logically

Also 1km = 1000 metres (logic) - i would not have a clue how many yards to a mile!

I think imperial had it's time but metric has far more logic and intuitiveness

Lbs to kg and cm to inches are easy too though.

Quite a few :D
Off the top my head?
22 yards?

I thought it was 1786?

The word mile comes from the Latin word mille, which means 1000, as the original mile was defined as 1000 paces of a Roman Legion.

So there you have it, Damned Romans decimalising us without us knowing :(

Come on all, face up to it.

Continue this thread by adding your age and whether you think of temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit.

I'm 63 and I use degrees C.

Dave

Come on all, face up to it.

Continue this thread by adding your age and whether you think of temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit.

I'm 63 and I use degrees C.

Dave
I'm 2 score and 9 and am confused.

I thought it was 1786?

I tend to using centigrade for temp. Fahrenheit is just weird except for comfortable room temperature which is 70f...
Depends if you are north or south of the border.
Comfortable in Scotland is 60F. We tend to melt at higher temps :)

I'm 44 and I already did :)

I'm more of a degrees Celsius type of person. But during any hot spells, the media tend to turn to the Fahrenheit scale because it sounds more impressive (90 F rather than 31 C).

Incidentally, as an amateur meteorologist myself, I can convert Celsius to Fahrenheit and vice versa off by heart - at least any values between -40 C to +50 C. That's how I impress the ladies with.

Actually, that last bit was a lie. The impressing the ladies thing, that is.

PS: Actually, I've got the 31 C thing wrong, it's actually 88 F. I'm half asleep. Besides, the last time I got to record the magic 90 F mark here at my coastal location here at Folkestone was in 2006 when 35 C (95 F) was attained on the 16th July. That was Hell On Earth.

Last edited:
56 & cannot remember thinking temperature in Fahrenheit

Only important fahrenheit temperute is 100. Celsuis must be correct, it's the setting I use in my car, so surely that must mean something :p

i would not have a clue how many yards to a mile!

I thought everyone knew it was 1760 yards to the mile or 5280 feet.

And as it's thunder and lightning season lets dispel a common piece of mythology:

Counting seconds between the lightning and the thunder does not give you the distance in miles. It's 4.7 seconds per mile.

Only important fahrenheit temperute is 100.

Why?

as an amateur meteorologist myself, I can convert Celsius to Fahrenheit and vice versa off by heart - at least any values between -40 C to +50 C.

-40 conversion is easy!

Your confused?

Or you're confused.

Steve.

Last edited:
If I'm talking about the weather then I tend to use Celsius in the winter and Fahrenheit in the summer.

In the summer: 70f makes sense or 80f on a hot day or will it hit the magical 100f

In the winter: 0C is freezing and people know what -20C

I even used to change my car between f and c in summer and winter. :)

that said I'm getting more used to Celsius in the summer.

It's the same with distance measurements. For engineering work, I use millimetres. For building work, I use inches and feet.

Steve.

The word mile comes from the Latin word mille, which means 1000, as the original mile was defined as 1000 paces of a Roman Legion.

So there you have it, Damned Romans decimalising us without us knowing :(

To add a little to this, a Roman pace is a double but they had shorter legs!

It's the same with distance measurements. For engineering work, I use millimetres. For building work, I use inches and feet.

Steve.

Me too. Sometimes! However I sometimes think in "thou" as well in engineering and in metric terms when building...

Celsius. Never taught any other scale.

I can work in feet and inches though, and for model making purposes the wonderfully bonkers 4mm=1 foot scale. (or when working for other, 3mm, 3.5mm etc etc to 1 foot). For real world engineering I'm also happy to work in good old fashioned brain taxing decimal inches, with my handy Zeus book for the fractions!

Is Celsius a scale? We were taught that Celsius is a temperature differential but Centigrade is the scale, so 100°C is the difference between freezing and boiling water in Celsius but the temperature at which water boils in Centigrade.

Back