Fahrenheit?

Absolutely!
They work mostly in "imperial" .
Their gallons are SMALLER than ours, though, which I find quite astonishing :D

Damn. Better cancel my gallon moonshine order if i'm not getting as much :banghead:

Is Celsius a scale? We were taught that Celsius is a temperature differential but Centigrade is the scale, so 100°C is the difference between freezing and boiling water in Celsius but the temperature at which water boils in Centigrade.

That works out as 373 degrees on the Kelvin scale. But today, it is going to be 298 K this afternoon if it does stay sunny for long enough. :cool: :D

Last edited:
I thought everyone knew it was 1760 yards to the mile or 5280 feet.

I suppose it is easier for older folks like myself, who ran on a 440 yard (quarter mile) track at school.
Getting back to Celsius and Fahrenheit, I always think 20C (around 70F?) is comfortable, and 30C is quite hot.
When I looked at the thermometer in our South facing back garden (which I call "Hades"), it was around the 38C mark, and I beat a hasty retreat back into the relative cool of the North facing living room.

Damn. Better cancel my gallon moonshine order if i'm not getting as much :banghead:
And make sure the HMG only tax you on 6.6pints Not the full 8 pints (y)

I suppose it is easier for older folks like myself, who ran on a 440 yard (quarter mile) track at school.
I was at school during the great "metric invasion"
I had just finished learning 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard 16oz/ lb 240 pennies to the £ etc etc.

And then had to start again with the 28g grammes to the oz, 25.4 mm to the inch. 39.4 in. to the meter. (rounded up ;)
So actually I do find it quite easy to switch from one to the other.

Three score years less three and I prefer ambient temperatures in Farenheit but all other cooking, scientific or engineering temperatures in Celsius except when I want to burn paper! ;)

At three score years less three, I'm also just about the youngest who can still add up pre-decimal currency - essentially you had to be old enough to receive pocket money.! I wish I had 6/8d and 13/4d for every tanner, bob, florin, and half crown I added up!

I can do the LSD too and I'm considerably younger than Jon! Not sure why but while I'm ambimetrous in many cases, temperature is always in C or in K. I know a few points in F but not many.

I doubt I can do LSD anymore, but I did enjoy it in my youth:)

I also can remember a few C to F conversions (eg 10C = 50F, 20C = 68F, 28C = 82F) from when I used to do the conversion, but I don't bother with them now. I know that for me if the weather forecast says anything above about 22 - 23C it is going to be hot.

I am really confused by America still using imperial measurements (even if some of their similarly named units are different from ours) especially for any scientific work; the metric system is just so much easier.

Dave

Is Celsius a scale? We were taught that Celsius is a temperature differential but Centigrade is the scale, so 100°C is the difference between freezing and boiling water in Celsius but the temperature at which water boils in Centigrade.

I always understood them to be just different names for the same thing.

Seems Wikipedia agrees http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius

It's the same with distance measurements. For engineering work, I use millimetres. Steve.

I can't do that. I just can't 'see' a millimetre ... never have been able to. Now if someone asked me what 40 thou looked like, I can see that straight away.

Did the change to Celsius when I got a weather station and started posting on The Weather Outlook and Net Weather forums.

I'm 61. Grew up in the UK with imperial measurements and pre-decimal currency, but moved to SA in my mid 20s and had to adjust to the metric system. It was actually illegal to sell anything showing imperial units - imported products had them blanked out - and we just got used to it. I'm hopeless with imperial when I'm in the UK now, I even convert miles to kilometres in my head to get a rough idea of distances, and I'm lost when people talk about yards, stones and pints etc.

That works out as 373 degrees on the Kelvin scale. But today, it is going to be 298 K this afternoon if it does stay sunny for long enough. :cool: :D

Kelvin all the way!

Oh 58 yo and comfy with Celcius Fahrenheit and Kelvin.

My kids are all Celcius and ignore Fahrenheit.

Steve

Last edited:
It seems strange that almost everything in the UK is now metric but they still have road signs in yards and miles - i guess there is resistance from people like this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2002118.stm

About the time merkel did something about it! It is really time to say goodbye to all imperial units, plus it is much nicer to do 120 on a motorway :)

it could be 110 though - eu seems to have a mix of 110/120/130 although 120 seems the most popular

Still looks better just like 50 is not as bad as 30!

edit: actually a pint is better than 0.50 L when it comes to certain liquids!

Sent for Scrivens iPhone

Last edited:
I use the Kelvin scale :(

It is the proper SI unit, but to be fair C is barely offset by a couple (hundred) degrees to a relevant reference point, unlike F******* that doesn't seem to make much logical sense.

Sent for Scrivens iPhone

CentigradeX2 add 30 will put you in the ball park for "Human" Farenheit temps. Farenheit shoved down my throat in School but switched to Centigrade when I "discovered" it. It sort of makes sense,bloody cold at zero,bloody hot at 100. I,m 67.

CentigradeX2 add 30 will put you in the ball park for "Human" Farenheit temps. Farenheit shoved down my throat in School but switched to Centigrade when I "discovered" it. It sort of makes sense,bloody cold at zero,bloody hot at 100. I,m 67.

What ballpark are you in? By 35 Degrees you're fully 4 degrees out. :LOL:

It's a bit like pounds for weight - at least 1kg = 1 litre of water and it divides down nicely and logically

Would that imperial had a volume to mass equivalency based on the density of water. For example, something simple, like a UK gallon of water weighing 10 pounds (avoirdupois, not sterling).

Oh, it does! (or, a fluid ounce of water weighs one ounce)

I'm 45 and can work in both systems. I remember when I was about nine years old I was the only person in my class at school that knew all the imperial measurements. There are some situations I prefer imperial and some I prefer SI. For things like tappet shim thickness, or points gap, imperial is much more friendly as one thousandth of an inch is just the right step. Also, I don't get why building sheet materials are sold in 1220x2440mm sheets, which is 4'x8'. Just say 4' by 8' instead of some obscure number of millimeters!

When I was younger, it was very much Farenheit but these days, all the weather forecasts on tv/radio and on the apps use celsius so I've pretty much converted over myself.

Oh, and I'm 50 + 1 day.

MHR for yesterday, Marc. It's only a number!

Also bear in mind the American always use the Fahrenheit scale, probably because it sounds more awesome.

I'm not old enough to have ever seen a Farenheight. Are there any even left in the wild now?

A few but the feral haggises are slowly reducing their numbers.

It'll be a while but it's going to be weird sleeping with a 50 year old!!! (Although Mrs Nod says it's much better than sleeping with a 49 year old...)

Whilst the British gallon is an Imperial measurement, actually the American gallon is a US customary measurement.

I use celsius and metric measurements (almost) exclusively .

Anthony aged 69.3/4

Back