Fidonet

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3428

I just did a search on my name on Google and found an old fidonet message list so got wondering, did anyone on this forum ever use fidonet?

Sounds like a version of the internet for our four legged friends!

Sounds like a version of the internet for our four legged friends!

:LOL: it was in fact a pre internet forum setup across the world between bbs's (Bulletin board systems) you would download you mail packets, read the messages offline, reply offline and upload back to the bbs. Not as quick as the internet but great fun in it's day.

Yeah, I remember fidonet and running Spot on the Amiga ;)

and dial up (well, any phone call) cost £1/hour

Thinking back it was a real pain when someone was logged into your bbs and you couldn't get the mail becuse they were d/l a large file of 700k :LOL: you are all now show your geekiness like me :LOL:
pxl: ah spot I remember spot, I used BlueWave offline reader that was when the Amiga ruled, I still have my amigas' :LOL: I used terminate pro 3 and my point was 2:251/50.55 sad or what :LOL:

Never used fidonet but connected to a few bbs way back, my first isp was compuserve, connected at 9,600baud on my racing fast 14.4k modem if I dialled the local rate number or 28k on the national rate number, all for £25 per month plus phone charges. :eek:
Compuserve had an excellent usenet style setup and the content/help available there was fantastic, till AOL bought them...

Never used fidonet but connected to a few bbs way back, my first isp was compuserve, connected at 9,600baud on my racing fast 14.4k modem if I dialled the local rate number or 28k on the national rate number, all for £25 per month plus phone charges. :eek:
Compuserve had an excellent usenet style setup and the content/help available there was fantastic, till AOL bought them...

I remember going onto the internet for the first time way back too, dial up scripts :puke: netscape, pow wow and gopher among others :LOL: and yes it was expensive in them days :bang:

Yes, I ran an 'elite' (forerunner of l33t) BBS back in 1986 in Denver, Colorado. Ran on a 286. 2400 baud modem, one line, text and ANSI graphics only, and a member of FidoNet, so conversations could be exchanged, bucket-brigade fashion, all around the world.

There was no Internet, and certainly no web. I got my first 'net account in 1987 and made my first Usenet post in 1989.

And now we've come full circle - each website has its own discussion forums, and they don't share with each other, so one forum's discussions are isolated from anothers - they could be connected again, FidoNet fashion, if the will were there to do so. No long-distance telephone bills, either.

Atari BBS user here .. Nothing local so had to call national rates to chester-le-street ... multiple times a day. So expensive... Look at us now eh :)

youngsters, the lot of you. I remember upgrading from 300 baud to 1200/75 :)

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, no sorry, star wars moment!

Well a good (good) few years ago anyway I used to connect to the Cellular BBS in Northampton with my lightening fast 1k2 modem, built into my laptop (a £450 optional extra) and thought I was on the cutting edge of technology!!

Oh the thought of HTML would have been a wet dream back then (especially to a geek) !!

Nowadays do many people use dial up from home any more ?

:)

youngsters, the lot of you. I remember upgrading from 300 baud to 1200/75 :)

I learned to program BASIC in school on a teletype machine with a 300 baud acoustic modem hooked up to a mainframe computer somewhere. I stored my programs in 35mm film cannisters (when they were metal, pops) on paper tape with holes punched in it.

"Monitors" were unheard of then. We called them "CRTs" and they were green, huge, and belonged in the computer room only, guarded zealously by the mainframe high priests in the white lab coats.

We only wished we could be like the mighty BOFH.

Oh I remember Thursday night at school was computer club, about 6 of us sat around a research machine 380z re-writing the code for a text based adventure game called wumpus.

Oh what joy as the machine would spit out text about shaggin math teachers and homo RE teachers. we were almost cool then (not) :LOL:

Computers in schools? how young are you lot?

10 print "This is the longest sig in the world"
20 goto 10

punch-cards anyone (Hollerith for the very posh!)

I remember Bluewave mail reader!

My mate was one of the first BBS systems in Manchester to be shut down by the then newly formed Computer Crime Unit for allowing anyone download "Eastern European Art" (as we don't say the "P" word ;) )

Carl.

Back