Film Developing

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Woo, I just managed to develop my first B+W film and just needed to share while i let them dry :woot:

The whole process seemed a bit too easy, apart from loading the film onto the reel (can you say frustration?)

I think I am completely sold on film now, its just so satisfying.

Hopefully pics to follow, but i dont promise anything that special ;)

Yeah, I think I should be digging my gramp's steam engine out of the attic too.

It's great isn't it? Much more satisfying than digital. Don't even get me started on loading the film onto the spiral. I found out (eventually) that it was much easier to thread the film leader into the spiral before going into the dark room.

Yay! Just wait till you get printing, evan more
satisfying <Spelling? ... I agree minimeeze, thread the leader first... you just have to remember not to wind all the way in or get a leader retriever much easier!

The whole process seemed a bit too easy, apart from loading the film onto the reel (can you say frustration?)

Congratulations! B&W film processing is fun and rewarding. As many know, it isn't that complicated and can be done at the kitchen sink, no darkroom required (even the reel can be loaded in a 'changing bag', which eliminates the need for a windowless room).

If I may make a suggestion regarding your struggle with reels - it really is an art, and your fingers will learn in time, but if you are willing, there is a less painful method available that requires no skills mastery.

Kodak made a system back in the 1950's called 'Kodakcraft' which used a plastic 'apron' in place of a plastic or metal reel.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?pid=5629

The apron is a naturally curly bit of plastic with serrated edges (to keep the film from touching the plastic). One unrolls the plastic apron, unrolls the film, matches one end of the film to one end of the plastic, and lets the entire affair roll itself up by its own spring pressure. Of course one does this in the changing bag or a darkroom.

The rolled-up amalgam then goes into the tank and that's it. No muss, no fuss, no reels. It's brilliant, and I have no idea why did not catch on.

It has one limitation, and that is that it is not suitable for processing more than 1 roll of film at a time (using the modern-day Arista replacements as the link shows) or 2 rolls at a time (if you hunt down original Kodakcraft reels and tanks). So if you're keen on doing 4 rolls of film at a go, this would not be the way to go.

I have been using aprons for a number of years now - they are cheap as chips, washable and reusable, they work well, and they require no mastery and no fumbling about in the dark. I have reels, and they sit unused in the cupboard now.

Just an opinion, hope you find it helpful.

small_P1130023.JPG

small_P1130027.JPG

small_P1130032.JPG

small_P1130034.JPG

Congrats, Chris! I still process all my own film and love it. I never managed to get graceful with steel reels, but the plastic ones with ball bearings are idiot-proof. You just start the film in the reel, and "walk" it on, letting the bearings do the work. Thank God for those things.

- CJ

well done, I love it when someone "finds" film, and likes it warts and all, you'll never be bored with processing again, film is far more interesting/involving.

Yeah, I think I should be digging my gramp's steam engine out of the attic too.

:boxer:

Just did my first film developing at college yesterday, too.
I found it quite tedious. I'm not really sold on the stuff. Its too easy to mess up :p

well, its not for everybody, sat on my arse infront of a keyboard moving pixels about is the pinnacle of tedium for me, but whatever turns ya cogs, its all good.

good stuff.....

small_P1130027.JPG

I've never seen those before, I'd be interested in trying them.
Never used 35mm, only 120, I would be really sceptical for 120 with all the bending that goes on along its length, 35mm not so much, but that appears to be a 120 apron, so theres no confusion, 120 film really doesn't touch the sides ?

Congrats on your first B&W. I found loading the film onto the reel fiddly, too. Then someone told me to cut a small corner from each side of the leading edge (ie cutting the first one or 2 sprocket holes off the film) - before turning the lights off (blood dosen't improve film :LOL:)

/------------\
|o ............ o|
|o ........... o |

I found that reely (sorry - pun, not spelling for once!) much easier, although I'm not sure why. But give it a try and see if it works for you.

Apologies for the totally c*** diagram.

Look forward to seeing some pics.

Well done. The corner snipping and the semi auto load reels help no end but patience is still required. Films not everyones cup of tea but it can make you feel more involved, giving that satisfying " I made this" feel.

Thanks everyone.

Those aprons look pretty iteresting, I might have to have a look if I struggl with the reels.

The next problem is getting pics to show people until i get a scanner :thinking: Best option so far I have found is to use the monitor as a light box and use extension tubes.

Here's the first one I've mamaged to get a pic of:

filmtestsmall.jpg

trying ot work out how to keep it flat, and the monitor screen is pretty dirty :eek: but its gives a general idea.

Not sure what went off in the bottom left, its not on the film?

Anyway, I'll try and get some of the others sorted and maybe post in sharing.

I've never seen those before, I'd be interested in trying them.
Never used 35mm, only 120, I would be really sceptical for 120 with all the bending that goes on along its length, 35mm not so much, but that appears to be a 120 apron, so theres no confusion, 120 film really doesn't touch the sides ?

Correct - the photo shows me holding a 120 apron, and the film only touches the apron at the extreme edges where the high points of the 'wavy' parts of the apron are. However, due to the mild agitation used during development, they even develop under those points - there are no unprocessed bits left over when the work is done.

The modern 'Arista' (actually cheap chinese knock offs) recreations of Kodakcraft aprons are available in 120 and 35mm sizes. For those keen to track down the originals (and they're all over that auction site), they made them in 127 as well. The original Kodakcraft tanks are nice in that they will hold 2 rolls of 35mm (with a nice steel plate to keep them seperate), but they are not watertight up top so you cannot invert them while agitating. The new copies hold 1 roll (different tank for 35mm or 120) but can be inverted due to a cap on top and a good press-fit seal.

Good work!

When I used to develop at college I cheated a little - I got the negatives produced by a lab. I still did the enlargements myself in the darkroom (hours of fun!), but got a much better end product as I would have less dust / scratches etc on the negs.

I miss it too :crying::crying::crying:

For taking photos of negatives I use a bit of glass with a diffused light underneath it. Then I had 2 pencils bluetacked the glass which hold each it tight to the glass. Then the 20d with the macro lens and a remote shutter and click away.

did you use a wetting agent in the last wash ? lot of drying marks on them . you can clean them ,just a huff (?)on the shiny side and with a lint free cloth gently rub them off .

Yeah, I forgot to do anything with them.

I've just done a 120 film and remembered, I used a homemade sqeegie (sp?) this time and no marks.

Gonna give them a soak and try and get it off.

I can now confirm though that it gets easier with practise, no probs this time :clap:

Back