Film vs digital

Name
HELEN
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently reveling in new toy mode having received an early birthday present of an Olympus OM10 - a replacement for my much-loved OM10 which was stolen in 1994.

I currently also have a Nikon D40X digital SLR and previously had a Canon EOS 300V film camera, which I recently sold. I couldn't get to grips with the EOS compared to my old OM10, and I've had the same struggle with the D40X.

Now I'm once again playing with the OM10, I reckon it's going to really help me learn about photography once and for all. You can't just go out and snap off 20 shots like you can with digital. You really have to think about what you're doing - which can only be good if, like me, you're wanting to understand the theory of photography. With the OM10, I'm having to consider the F/stop, the shutter speed and the focusing. On the Nikon D40X, I didn't have a clue which settings to choose and what effect they would have if I chose them - even though I could see the results quickly. I've been really frustrated with the whole thing. I also don't like the autofocus thing going on on modern cameras. I know you can manually focus, but it's not easy without the old-fashioned split screen on the likes of the OM10.

Obviously, I won't get the results of my OM10 explorations for a while, but I used to take good pictures with my old one so fingers crossed. I've set up a table in Pages (Mac version of Word) and am noting down all the relevant data for each picture, so that I can refer to it once I get the pics back.

I'm also a big fan of the look of film photographs compared to digital, especially after having looked at the "show us yer film shots then" thread!

Anyone else agree that film photography with a basic no-nonsense SLR camera like the OM10 is a great training tool to learn the basics? Hopefully, after a while with my OM10, I'll understand the D40X much better.

I'm also loving B&W photography - such rich textures that you often don't see in colour. I've found that B&W digital conversions just don't look as good as film B&W.

right with you Helen.i just love film ,,,think i'll sit back now and wait for the bun fight:D

Oh dear, have I opened up a can of worms?!

I've just had a horrible heart attack moment. I just changed lenses mid-film. That's okay right? I can't remember if you're allowed to do that or if I've just ruined my film!

Don't worry, you're perfectly safe - as long as you won't open the camera back or take a photo without a lens on.

Thanks for the reassurance! It's all coming back to me - real photography.

I'll get slated, but I've found digital photography (sorry, imagery) really boring by comparison! Wait for the flack.:naughty:

I must admit, for things like weddings, christening etc i'd use my digital. Mainly because it's much easier to make a photo book etc.

For my personal enjoyment (and thats what its all about) I use film. I keep buying old film cameras as i love to use all the differnt types and am always surprised at the quailty of the results.

Shame I can't get 120 film processed in Preston!

Ooh another Prestonian!!!

That's something I've not considered yet, they availability of good processing! Perhaps I should have thought of that. I was just desperate to get another OM10 and get playing again. Glad you like film too Gaz.

Same here regarding buying old cameras. especially RFs. Right now looking for a Ricoh 500 or similar. Damn the ebay, seems everyone now wants a 70s RF.

Hubby and I are just starting a collection of old cameras too! My OM10 is the first. Darren fancies getting a nice OM1 to play with next. He always has to go one better than me - just kidding darling!

I just bought 2 OM10's too :)

I had my first one back in the late 80's/early 90's and I love the way they work, love the portability of them and just love the look and feel of film. It's all just so much more tactile.

I'm another who shoots professionally with digital but I love shooting personally with film.

I have got an action for converting digital to B&W that I like now so that's a blessed relief!

Another OM10 fan :)

Yay, another OM10 fan!!!

Darren says there are various methods in Photoshop for converting colour digital images to B&W, but from what I've seen, none of them have that film B&W look. Maybe we're doing it wrong.

Yay, another OM10 fan!!!

Darren says there are various methods in Photoshop for converting colour digital images to B&W, but from what I've seen, none of them have that film B&W look. Maybe we're doing it wrong.

Mine take 10-17 steps depending on what I want from it.

They are actions by a wedding photographer called Jeff Acough. Cost £65 and worth every blooming penny to me.

The other one that is always worth a look is Nik Filters Silver FX pro. All sorts of cool stuff in there like IR and cyanotypes. :)

Off to look at shooting IR with an OM10. Do they still do IR film I wonder.........:thinking:

:popcorn: ME Super anyone :popcorn:

Now you mention it I found my g/f old ME Super which has not been used for years. Stuck some batteries in it and were off, think I will run a film through it over the next couple of weeks.

I have got back in to black and white film again from doing the college course, nearly nailed my technique and so far pleased with the results.

Just curious, is OM10 the smallest film SLR ever? Or is there another camera which claims that honour

Digital is very clean, very easy, shooting raw provides a massive safety net and gives immediate feedback with all the information recorded for reference. Shortens the learning curve and is a boon for those line of work entails a certain amount of pressure to 'get the shot'. Film no longer out-resolves digital unless you shoot medium format and upwards.

So why do we still shoot fim?

For me;

1) The satisfaction that I dont have to check the back of the camera to see if I have the shot

2) I like fiddling around with chemicals and its a whole new world of anal discussions about the technical side of development

3) I like the tonality and feel of film

4) I dont shoot professionaly any more!

5) The results from LF are more bang for your buck than I'd get from any dSLR

Do they still do IR film I wonder.........:thinking:

The Kodak high speed infra red is no more but Rollei and Ilford still produce IR film. Konica too, I think.

Ilford had killed off their SFX IR film but due to popular demand, they started producing it again.

Steve.

So I can get some IR film rather than spending £150 changing the filter inside my D1x :)

I just bought 2 OM10's too :)

I had my first one back in the late 80's/early 90's and I love the way they work, love the portability of them and just love the look and feel of film. It's all just so much more tactile.

I'm another who shoots professionally with digital but I love shooting personally with film.

I have got an action for converting digital to B&W that I like now so that's a blessed relief!

Another OM10 fan :)

Apparently you beat my hubby to the two OM10's! He was on the lookout for my birthday present - but he managed to pick one up from a work colleague in the end.

Digital is very clean, very easy, shooting raw provides a massive safety net and gives immediate feedback with all the information recorded for reference. Shortens the learning curve and is a boon for those line of work entails a certain amount of pressure to 'get the shot'. Film no longer out-resolves digital unless you shoot medium format and upwards.

I have a DSLR (Nikon D40X) and yes it's very easy and gives immediate results, but there's something very special for me about film - don't know if it's just nostalgia - but the pictures look more real, perhaps that's because it's what we grew up with.

For me, my OM10 is going to shorten the learning curve. I have had a bit of a mental block with all the settings on my D40X and haven't been able to get my head around what settings will give what effects. I'm already learning with my OM10.

Yep, have a look at the silverprint website.

You'll still need an IR filter of some description, but there are several companies that still make IR film :D

Will do thanks, just need to get myself the F80 I had decided on :) It will have to wait a couple of weeks though as I have spent all my cash!!

what would you shoot on film that you wouldn't on digital and why. I am interested, seen a fantastic looking Canon 1V for sale but why would I buy it other than to look at it. Come on, give me some reasons :):)

***what would you shoot on film that you wouldn't on digital and why***

erm well what about:- it's practically idiot proof (proven technology)....just focus and press the shutter button, any errors in exposure are handled by the latitude of the film, and also compensated when printing by the lab machine.
A recently report said digital cameras confuse the masses.

Steve, thanks for the info on SFX, just been reading up on that :) Good news indeed. I can develop my own B&W at home so that appeals more than the kind of flakey Kodak.

Mr Cowasaki, my apologies for grabbing the OM 10's, if I had known then that you wanted one for your good lady I would happily have split with you. :)

Stew, what do I shoot on film that I don't shoot on digital? Answer, honestly? Nothing really. I sometimes double up with both but I do have a couple of projects in mind for next year that will involve a Hasselblad and some slide film. And I do love B&W film and often shoot simple family stuff on both 35mm and MF just because I can.

I do want to get out with some models next year to shoot some project material and I'd love to use film for that :)

edited to add, there is a certain simplicity with film that you don't have with digital. All the electronics and moveable ISO's and spot vs matrix metering and fps. Film somehow simplifies the process. Aperture and shutter. End of. And it is fun. :)

what would you shoot on film that you wouldn't on digital and why.

Nothing to be honest

Why shoot film?

Each film has a different look to it eg Velvia and Kodak. Velvia more biased towards the green, blue end of the spectrum great for landscapes, Kodak more towards the red, yellow end of the spectrum good for portraits.

Black and white film again has a look that I am afraid it is very difficult if not impossible to capture with digital.

All those expensive cameras you could not afford, you can now pick up relatively cheap ie Canon EOS 1V.

It slows you down and makes you think before you shoot.

But more importantly IT IS FUN :D:D:D:D

what would you shoot on film that you wouldn't on digital and why. I am interested, seen a fantastic looking Canon 1V for sale but why would I buy it other than to look at it. Come on, give me some reasons :):)

Why not buy it and give it a go? It's fun as Ali says.

Oh and thanks Ali regarding purchasing the OM10's. We got sorted in the end. I think it may need a service though. The on/off/battery check/self timer switch is rather floppy and vague, and I seem to recall it being much more precise on my original OM10.

Its suddenly occurred to me that after a quarter of a century shooting film that involved 35mm, medium format and large format, black and white darkrooms and colour darkrooms and just about everything else I personally have done the film bit which is why I can't get excited about it again.

However there is nothing better than watching a black and white print slowly come to life in a red lit room, nothing worse than the nine minutes of pitch black darkness developing a colour print, especially when you realise you have just itched yer personal bits with hands that previously had been in the bleach :D:D:D and just about nothing beats looking at a a tranny from a medium format hassleblad, other than looking at a tranny from a Sinar 5" x 4".....

I wish you all the best film explorers, its a great ride :):)

stew

I personally have done the film bit which is why I can't get excited about it again.

yeah, right......:LOL:

Its like smoking, you can stop for 20 years but still hanker for a drag every time somebody lights up....:D

Will a course of digital replacement therapy cure me....???

especially when you realise you have just itched yer personal bits with hands that previously had been in the bleach :D:D:D

Lol!!!

Stupid thing is, Darren bought me all the dark room equipment for both colour and B&W when I had my EOS 300V, but I never plucked up the courage to use it all, so we sold it a while later! It was a surprise birthday present, not something I'd asked for. Now we're both getting back into film, we'd love to get all the equipment for processing again - but it's not expensive from what others have said, so it's a possibility.

Ooh Joxby, I was drooling over your film pictures earlier today - they're stunning! Good examples of what can be achieved with film.

Thanks MrsCowasaki..

I just press the button, the other stuff is out of my hands.
B/W is nothing like as.......forgiving..

Just curious, is OM10 the smallest film SLR ever? Or is there another camera which claims that honour
I'm pretty sure that honour goes to the Pentax ME- the first aperture priority camera too, and to the manual version, the MX.

Back