First 35mm film camera suggestions

Edit My Images
Yes
For many months I've been interested in purchasing a film camera to help me more in my learning. I also really want to try a film camera out, only ever having played with digital. I want an easy to use (basic) camera which is fully manual and of course working...and easyish to repair if need be.

So far I've been looking at the pentax k1000. From all the reviews it seems wicked but also seems to be overpriced in the UK. Camera dealers arent selling below £80 and I dont know if it's worth that. On ebay, they seem to average in the £50's range with the 50mm lens. Of course I am wary of buying such a thing on that site but I'm willing to bite the bullet.

The other option is the Nikon Fm2 or Fm2e. Of course it's expensive for me but am I right in believing I can use the old lenses with my d7000?

What other alternitives do I have? I really like the sound of the pentax k1000 but then I've also seen Pentax ME super...spotmatic...MX...etc...all on there. Whats my best bet?:)

i hate to sugest this to a nikon user:D but canon t90 is a great camera

I've just looked on ebay for the olympus om10 (what is manual adapter?) and found this:

OLYMPUS OM10 35 mm SLR SINGLE LENS REFLEX CAMERA WITH ELECTRONIC CONTROL AUTOMATIC EXPOSURE AND FOCAL PLANE SHUTTER - OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM LENS -AUTO-S 1: 1.8 F=50mm

OLYMPUS MOUNT , BAYONET TYPE

FLASH WITH LIGHT METER AND FEET/METER GAUGE - VIVITAR AUTO TELPHOTO LENS 135 mm 1: 2.8 55 mm no 28931785

CARRYING STRAP x 2 AND ALL IN THE ORIGINAL CARRYING CASE AND ALL IN PERFECT WORKING CONDITION

Does this sound good? I know its a bit drastic to bid....but there is 20 minutes left and the bid is only £12.00ish so far. :eek::eek::eek: tell me no...

Last edited:
That looks like a bargain. The manual adaptor is a little widget on the front of the camera that allows you to take direct control of the shutter speed as well. From the look of the photo on eBay this camera has one fitted already.

Mike

Hey Mike

Thanks for the suggestion! So I havent had a chance to read up on the camera and bidding is nearly over, but my heart is saying WAIT....and go for a pentax (I dont know why, they just look so lovely:D) but....if this one doesnt go up too much, theres no saying I cant start a little collection of cameras, right? ;)

Oh, I get it...so without the adapter it's not fully manual? But can be with the adapter...cool cool :) Wish me luck!

If you can find one still working. And if you know of a repairer, please let me know!

A1 would be a better idea.
ive got one and i can repair them :D
but yep i like the a series as well although the ae1p would be my preference
ive owned (or still own) most of the a series and f series

as far as the nikon's go i like the fe fg fa all good cameras ,depending on how much control you want

If you like the K1000 then the Pentax MX is another similar camera - I have one and can't fault it and it was a bargain at about £50 inc 50mm f/1.7 on ebay.

The Olympus OM1 is probably also worth looking at - I hope to get one before too long.

Theres five minutes left on the OM10 and the bids 21.00 somthing, with postage on top. Might tell myself not to bid and get a nikon or a pentax because thats whats pulling me the most. Or I could just bid. OH GOD GUYS:bang::bang:

Theres five minutes left on the OM10 and the bids 21.00 somthing, with postage on top. Might tell myself not to bid and get a nikon or a pentax because thats whats pulling me the most. Or I could just bid. OH GOD GUYS:bang::bang:
get both :Dyou know it makes sense

I still have for sale in classified

Pentax ME Super

With 70-150mm f3.8 Lens, Case and Pentax Strap

Also Comes with Instruction Manual

NOW £20.00 (+ £8.80 Recorded Delivery)

I actually owned an OM10 back in the 1980's and liked it at the time (remember buying it brand new and it was the highest model I could afford), but I'm not sure why they sold the shutter speed dial as an "extra" rather than including it in the body like most other SLR cameras.

Mods can you advise me on this deal?

I have received a Pm about the Pentax ME Super, but the thread starter doesn't have access to the classified yet.

I don't want to lose my access from this forum so I'm asking your advice as to whether this can go ahead? The camera has been for sale on the forum since 1st September so over 2 months now!

Hey, am thread starter (or kabooi!!!!) Would be great if you guys could get back to us regarding the sale??

Anyway, on topic I didnt bid on the item. Going to stick to a pentax I think, you guys have been really helpful. Once again!!!!

ive got one and i can repair them :D

Interesting...
I have inherited my father in law's T90. It had problems soon after new, and he had it repaired. I had it repaired again (shutter) about 15 years ago, but it failed again. I had given it up as a lost cause. I regard its Colani shape as the forerunner of all subsequent Canon SLRs.

Last edited:
I reposted on Gumtree this afternoon and have just received an email from someone wanting the Pentax.

I did explain in my post on classified that these were advertised elsewhere.

Once you get access the classified your find some good cameras, at good prices from togs themselves so hang on in there and good luck. Will have a look on eBay for similar if I can and post on here!

Don't get a k1000 - they are typically massively overpriced for what they are. The me super and super a are both lovely cameras (I use both regularly) at much more reasonable prices.

ME is not manual of course, inly the Super has manual ability.

Olympus OM1 or OM2
Pentax K1000, ME Super, MX, LX if you're flush, Super A
Minolta XD7/XD11, XD5, XGM
Ricoh KR whatever, they're all much the same

Olympus models are unique in having the shutter speed on a dial round the lens (or on a crummy small dial on the front of the OM10 with the correct adapter, it is Auto only normally). The Ricohs and Pentax K1000 all have needle meter displays, the rest have LEDs. I prefer LEDS myself but you may not. The ME Super and Super A you have push buttons to raise or lower shutter speed rather than a dial, and a top LCD to show you the speed.

Interesting...
I have inherited my father in law's T90. It had problems soon after new, and he had it repaired. I had it repaired again (shutter) about 15 years ago, but it failed again. I had given it up as a lost cause. I regard its Colani shape as the forerunner of all subsequent Canon SLRs.
ive pm'ed you mate so this thread doesn't get cluttered up

Can't really go wrong with any of the Olympus OM range or a Pentax MX or ME, just look for one that's been cared for.

The K1000 was my first Pentax which I replaced years ago with a Nikon FM.

Eventually found carrying a bag of "big" kit around hard work and went for Pentax M series. I had a burglsty when I lived abroad so lost my complete kit but over the years I slowly replaced most.

So I would agree with others on here with their advice. Canons t90 and AE1 models were great as were Nikons FM and FE series.

I now have a large selecyion of Pentax film cameras and lens. MX ME Super and my favourite LX. For a purely manual camera my 3 MXs get major use. I have paired them with M series lenses so I have ptime 24mm 28mm 50mm (incl f1.2, f1.4 and f1,7) 85mm, 100mm, 120mm, 135mm and 200mm along with a few zoom lenses too.

I will alwsys recommend the MX it is a fantastic manual and built to last. More are turning up in shops and on line and prices do vary.
The better the condition the higher the price as with the lens value.

I would suggest buying and paying for the best. You will not lose on the deal when you come to sell.

Mine still get a lot of use and I have been offered good ptices if I want to sell.

I rate the MX as a better choice than the K1000. Problrm with price is that the K1000 is often the recommended student camera. K series lens are plentiful from a massive ranger of brands.
A lot of prime lenses are rising in price as they are bought to go onto DSLRs.

On the 6x6 and 6x4.5 front I am still using Bronica S I got for £45 at a car boot sale 6 years ago.

Despite my Pentax film preferrnce, digitally I am on Canon!!!

Good luck with your sesrch.

Back