Flickr stats gone mad?

I get that. Not for one particular photo, but every now and then I'll have two or three days with insane levels of viewing. Most of the 2000 or so shots on there will get 2, 3 or 4 views every day, with up to 100 or so Photostream views. Then it all dies down again until a month or six weeks later when it all kicks off again. I've got some quite ordinary shots with very high viewing figures. Can't make sense out of it.

It made explore that's why... lovely shot too look back to yesterday and it shows you- Congrats!

I've not added anything to mine in the last 12 months but in the last month ovreall I've been getting 3-400 hits a day, prior to that I'd had around 1000 hits over the previous 12 months.....
and mine aren't even really worth a look in comparison to yours

I have no idea about Flickr viewings tbh. Don't normally comment on peoples shots as I don't think I'm good enough technically (yet!) to be add anything of value, but just wanted to say what a lovely shot it is so can see why folks are viewing it. Where is the location?

Thanks for the thoughts all, it just seems ridiculous to get some many views and people favouring it

I have no idea about Flickr viewings tbh. Don't normally comment on peoples shots as I don't think I'm good enough technically (yet!) to be add anything of value, but just wanted to say what a lovely shot it is so can see why folks are viewing it. Where is the location?

Location is Mupe bay near Lulworth Cove, Dorset. It’s a bit of a trek to get there and you only get access on the weekends, I can understand why you don’t see many shots from here.

I got a photo on explore this morning and it's been viewed over 3200 times since! Never had any others that mad before!

Explore is what they (Flickr that is) class as the best 500 photos posted that day. Your image has been viewed all around the world.

some on here feature regularly look HERE

You will find stats will go nuts every now and again.

It's normally a shot that Explore picks up - people then view it loads and that causes views on your other pics.

Explore is a bit of a random beast. It doesn't really mean or do anything unless you're wanting traffic for whatever reason.

Sometimes it can be a pain as loads of folk invite you to things which then require you to participate in otherwise you get kicked off etc etc

Yeh, probably due to explore, it's happened to me a couple of times.

I wonder if Explore will find you quicker if you are well linked and often followed and favourited. Like Google search promotes sites that are well linked. As some people seem to use Flikr more like a social network then just a place to post pictures.

Last edited:
excuse me for jumping in here how would you know if a picture went on to this explore thing?

I lapsed my Pro account as well, so can't see the stats any more, but I did also get both phenomena being talked about.
I had a random photo Explored this week and have had 8,500 views on it over a few days!
I also found the occasional day with thousands of views overall, spread over of seemingly all photos on my stream.
Flickr is a strange place at times!

I have found some of my pictures used by travel agents and blogs which cause my Flickr stats to soar.

Back