Flickr Users - Post your Explored Photos

Has anyone else had an email from Flickr telling you your #MyFlickrYear stats, and including a figure for number of Explored photos in 2022?

I have and for some strange reason it says I had 66 of them. I know this isn't true as I've tracked all of them, and they total 53 in the years since 2008!

I guess if they have some weird made-up algorithm for a photo getting into Explore, they can make up how many we got there. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 52691399771_d62c9bf253_o.png
    52691399771_d62c9bf253_o.png
    240.8 KB · Views: 5
Has anyone else had an email from Flickr telling you your #MyFlickrYear stats, and including a figure for number of Explored photos in 2022?

I have and for some strange reason it says I had 66 of them. I know this isn't true as I've tracked all of them, and they total 53 in the years since 2008!

I guess if they have some weird made-up algorithm for a photo getting into Explore, they can make up how many we got there. :rolleyes:

Bighugelabs' Scout reckons you have 54 photos that have appeared in Explore, although six of them have since dropped out

IIRC a couple of mine have arrived in Explore very late in the day, like weeks or months after they were first posted, so has been possible to miss them being in Explore when they don't generate much traffic.

Still, that doesn't account for the mismatch with Flickr's own stats.

Last edited:
Bighugelabs' Scout reckons you have 54 photos that have appeared in Explore, although six of them have since dropped out

IIRC a couple of mine have arrived in Explore very late in the day, like weeks or months after they were first posted, so has been possible to miss them being in Explore when they don't generate much traffic.

On a slightly different note, I used to get a pic' in "Explore" roughly every two weeks. I find it strange that since upgrading my Flickr A/C to Pro some weeks ago that I've not had one pic' in "Explore".

Thanks, Rob. I'd forgotten about Scout. Anyway, it's more evidence that Flickr's stats can't be trusted. Not only for its calculation of how many views overall, but which was the most viewed the day before. But I guess we have to take their word for it.

On a slightly different note, I used to get a pic' in "Explore" roughly every two weeks. I find it strange that since upgrading my Flickr A/C to Pro some weeks ago that I've not had one pic' in "Explore".

This makes it look like they reward you with an Explore until they get your money! But many of your photos deserve to be there, so it's probably just coincidence.

This makes it look like they reward you with an Explore until they get your money! But many of your photos deserve to be there, so it's probably just coincidence.

That thought had crossed my mind, but I didn't up my A/C for getting snaps in Explore but for one or two other reasons.

Explore N0 8 of the year as part of the light and shadow explore takeover

Screes by Alf Branch, on Flickr

My latest on Explore :

HEADING SOUTH by Robin Procter, on Flickr

The thing I have come to realise while photographing moving trains is that you have to apply your composition on the fly. Yes you can crop afterwards but you still have to have an idea how you are likely to crop it later to get the composition you want. It's good training for the eye. Ooops! Training on trains was not an intended pun.

Last edited:
I think most of us are surprised by which of our images Flickr's Explore choose to pick. But it does stroke the ego and we all need some encouragement occasionally.

This pic of a Flying Cucumber as the GWR liveried Class800 series are known (but also called a Dildo by some enthusiasts!) was just a practice shot before the Midland Pullman was due to pass.

A FLYING CUCUMBER! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Back