Going back to college.

There are two benefits to this approach, which requires you to not be afraid to fail and make rubbish work. I think this is what many amateurs don't understand, that making crap is OK. f

Firstly when you have no 'inspiration' just start making something. Anything, no matter how dull or bad. Eventually something will click and you'll be on your way. Secondly you do what someone at another college called 'working through' a period of creative block. You keep your head down and keep on making work until you come out the other side.

For a photographer using digital this is easier than ever. Take photos of anything every day to both 'keep your eye in' and maybe get new ideas. There'll be a lot of crap. A lot of crap, but that doesn't matter. You don't have to show it to anyone!
Digital is fantastic for this. and although I'm not keen on a scattergun approach in the hope that something will come from it, it's never been easier, and cheaper, to react to your surroundings and see what something looks like as a photograph.

I think people might underestimates how useful it is to "keep your eye in" and to use your camera often enough for its operation to become instinctive.

I think people might underestimates how useful it is to "keep your eye in" and to use your camera often enough for its operation to become instinctive.
A mate of mine suffers from forgetting how to use his camera between 'shoots' as he rarely uses it.

A mate of mine suffers from forgetting how to use his camera between 'shoots' as he rarely uses it.
That's why the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster gave us cameras with an "A" setting.

Some of us even lucked out in the lottery of life and got cameras with "A+"! ;)

The A setting on my cameras is Aperture Priority. Auto is what you were probably thinking of...

Auto is what you were probably thinking of...
Indeed.

My cameras have a variety of symbols for automatic. When I had Canon dSLRs, they had a little green box as the symbol for "automatic".

That's why the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster gave us cameras with an "A" setting.

Some of us even lucked out in the lottery of life and got cameras with "A+"! ;)
I've given up telling him to stick it in Program and just take photos but he thinks he has to do it 'properly' and 'get it right in camera' because he's useless at computers for processing. :)

I know that Ken Rockwell is reviled by many and don't look beyond his reviews but tucked away on his site he has, what I think, is one of the best bits of advice I've read on the interweb for photographers wanting to improve their pictures:
Many years ago when I read on his website something like, 'I may not always be accurate/tell the truth' to essentially provoke traffic to his site, that was enough for me to steer clear, and advise others to steer clear, particularly beginners, who could 'learn' something that is wrong, just because someone benefits from the 'engagement' caused by controversy. :rolleyes:

I used to teach photography (and photoshop and ICT) courses for the local adult learning service. I approached it from the technical point of view first, with more basic artistic aspects later in the course. I wanted people to at least be able to use the equipment they had to get whatever effect they would want in the scene they were looking at at the end of the course. That meant also thinking about what and why settings are used for certain types of images. Fast/slow shutter speed, shallow/deep depth of field, the effects of ISO, and then seeing how much control they may have over such settings on the cameras they own, and the range of cameras was sometimes large. For some that was using the scene modes to get an effect, for others it was directly changing the settings.

I stopped doing them when my then manager said that she wanted the learners to go to art gallery's as part of the course, as well as work towards the learners putting on an exhibition at the end of the course. I said that was not appropriate, and that I didn't have time, or the opportunity, in the 8-10 weeks of the course. Especially for a lot of people coming to classes after work. She said "well that is what I want". Thankfully I was in a position to say get someone else to do the course then. :)

The service has had two different photography tutors since then, but sadly, because of funding, we no longer offer photography courses, and the range of courses we offer has decreased significantly. I'm happy I got the chance to go on some photography courses (before I was teaching) when I was coming back to photography with digital, and happy I was teaching during the camera boom time, when there was funding for a wider range of courses available, and lots of people interested.

For some people learning in a classroom (or workshop), with someone (hopefully) knowledgeable, ;) to ask questions, and get demonstrations, works well for them. It is sad for a lot of people who would gain from that, the opportunities are gone, or are at least very limited, compared to a few years ago, at least from a lot of local authorities. Private lessons are always an option, though pricier option, though that would probably be less formal, which may not suit some.

It will be interesting to see what changes, if any, this new government makes to education, pre and post 19.

Many years ago when I read on his website something like, 'I may not always be accurate/tell the truth' to essentially provoke traffic to his site, that was enough for me to steer clear, and advise others to steer clear, particularly beginners, who could 'learn' something that is wrong,

That's why I don't recommend his site to anyone, especially beginners. If you don't know enough to filter out his "fun" BS, steer well clear!

Digital is fantastic for this. and although I'm not keen on a scattergun approach in the hope that something will come from it, it's never been easier, and cheaper, to react to your surroundings and see what something looks like as a photograph.
After giving up on photography because of the cost, and slow improvement, digital was the thing that transformed how quickly I improved, with costs somewhat taken away, and the instant review as to what worked and what didn't.

Anyone taken up evening classes?

I've signed myself up for a 10 week evening class... learning by trial and error is taking too long so I thought I'd jump in and attend the recreational classes at my local college. Somethings I understand, but having a source of information to access is my primary goal.

Anyone else considered this or even attended night classes?

Thoughts and comments appreciated,

Satz
Did you do the course, and if so, how did it go?

After giving up on photography because of the cost, and slow improvement, digital was the thing that transformed how quickly I improved, with costs somewhat taken away, and the instant review as to what worked and what didn't.
I had a change of career, which because of the commitment meant I did nothing but work for about 20 + years, so I gave up making photographs in the film days and came back to it after digital was well established. I never gave up my interest in photography during this time, but it wasn't possible to find time to personally pursue it.

Learning digital has been a challenge for me, as contrary to popular opinion, I've found digital much more difficult to learn than film. But, not needing to think too much about the running costs has been wonderful, But capital costs can be rather scary: computers, hard drives etc.

The big advance now, even if they aren't quite as good as pigment printers are the refillable ink Epson printers, which dramatically reduces the price of making prints. For me, a photograph isn't a photograph until it’s a print, and this years purchase for me is going to be an Epson 8550, which will transform my enthusiasm for making photographs.

Many years ago when I read on his website something like, 'I may not always be accurate/tell the truth' to essentially provoke traffic to his site, that was enough for me to steer clear, and advise others to steer clear, particularly beginners, who could 'learn' something that is wrong, just because someone benefits from the 'engagement' caused by controversy. :rolleyes:
That's why I don't recommend his site to anyone, especially beginners. If you don't know enough to filter out his "fun" BS, steer well clear!
That doesn't make the advice of his I quoted bad advice.

I like Ken because he doesn't take himself too seriously. Always an admirable trait I find. :giggle:

Back