Hands Up!.... It's The Grammar Police

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly... I'm no Shakespeare so I can be just as guilty as most.... But...

Are there any terms, words or phrases that people use wrongly that really bug you? Or even ones that are used correctly that annoy?

Starter for ten....
Anywho/Anyhoo: Arggghhhhh! I actually feel like punching anyone that comes out with this.

Bought/Brought: The amount of times I've seen this misused recently is staggering. Even on here. If you are referring to something you have purchased, it's "bought"! Past tense of " to buy". "Brought" is past tense of "to bring".

Anyone else?

(the intention for starting this thread is purely for entertainment purposes and any reference to persons living or deceased is purely incidental) :)

I'm so tempted to post this, but I won't :D

I have a spelling checker
I disk covered four my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot see.
Eye ran this poem threw it.
Your sure real glad two no.
Its very polished in its weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a blessing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays comes posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore wee rote with checkers
Hour spelling was inn deck line,
Butt now when wee dew have a laps,
Wee are not maid too wine.

And now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
There are know faults in awl this peace,
Of nun eye am a wear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaws are knot aloud.

That's why eye brake in two averse
Caws Eye dew want too please.
Sow glad eye yam that aye did bye
This soft wear four pea seas.

Yep you're right, I'm sorry I did now :D

it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Last edited:
Reactions: den
Would of and should of instead of would have and should have. Their/they're/there confusion is another.

Anyone that keeps spelling professional as 'proffesional' using two bloody fs. It's PROFESSIONAL. There's only one f in it!

Can't wait for Nod to find this :D:p

I don't want to get to serious in what i'm certain is intended to be an amusing thread, but i find it absolutely incredible that a lot of the youth in this country leave school unable to read and write properly.

When i went to school in Italy i was taught not only Italian but English too, my fellow students were studious and wanted to learn, in my time at school here, i found discipline lacking and the students unable, or unwilling to want to learn.

English is my second language so i apologise in advance for any errors :p

Last edited:
I don't want to get to serious in what is i'm certain, intended to be an amusing thread, but i find it absolutely incredible that a lot of the youth in this country, leave school unable to read and write properly.

When i went to school in Italy i was taught not only Italian but English too, my fellow students were studious and wanted to learn, in my time at school here, i found discipline lacking and the students unable, or unwilling to want to learn.

English is my second language so i apologise in advance for any errors :p

Your English is better than mine and I've lived here all my life:clap:

I edited mine after you quoted so you can see all my errors lol

Fink think or fing instead of thing.
So annoying.

That didn't take long did it? :D
Although some dictionaries give it as an "acceptable" spelling,
my favourite quote from the net is,
its only acceptable when buying from ye ole camera shoppe ;)

Adding an s to the end of supermarket names really bugs me. It is Tesco not Tescos, Asda not Asdas etc

I think this started to bug me growing up when people added and s to end of surnames that didn't have one.....for no apparent reason.

Can't wait for Nod to find this :D:p

;)

That didn't take long did it? :D
Although some dictionaries give it as an "acceptable" spelling,
my favourite quote from the net is,
its only acceptable when buying from ye ole camera shoppe ;)

Wasn't it a typo in one edition of Merriam-Webster's many years ago?

You can blame the sound of bow bells for that :D
Or just lazy arsed parenting.
I know my mum would have clipped my ear for speaking that way. :)

Simply when someone writes (rights)....... I was in they're house and there really snobby, i'm not going their again!

Or just lazy arsed parenting.
I know my mum would have clipped my ear for speaking that way. :)
But then, that's a totally different "argument".
Regional dialects? lazy English or part of our heritage?

Using more than three dots for an ellipsis :)

affect /effect

They are not interchangeable, at least not without re-writing the sentence.

insure/ensure

But then, that's a totally different "argument".
Regional dialects? lazy English or part of our heritage?

I agree that some regional dialects are indeed a part of our heritage; but think part of their charm is locally derived colloquialisms rather than the simple destruction of words.

"off of" annoys me.

It not even just using an incorrect word, such as 'affect' instead of 'effect', it is using a word that isn't needed.

"I took the book off the shelf", not, "I took the off of the shelf"

In speech, I find the use of 'absolutely' irritating.

Dave

"off of" annoys me.

It not even just using an incorrect word, such as 'affect' instead of 'effect', it is using a word that isn't needed.

"I took the book off the shelf", not, "I took the off of the shelf"

In speech, I find the use of 'absolutely' irritating.

Dave

People who miss out a word so the sentence makes no sense (sence) ;)

Last edited:
I agree that some regional dialects are indeed a part of our heritage;
I think a true Cockney would also fit into your description ;)
And they drop their "T's" "D's" and replace "Th" with "F" etc.

but think part of their charm is locally derived colloquialisms rather than the simple destruction of words.
However I am inclined to agree the point that when bastidised English is spoken,
especially by the "yoof" of today, it is lazyness, pure and simple.

Would of and should of instead of would have and should have. Their/they're/there confusion is another.

Anyone that keeps spelling professional as 'proffesional' using two bloody fs. It's PROFESSIONAL. There's only one f in it!
I'm disillusioned now, I thought there was more than one f'in professional in here :naughty:

Honest errors don't bother me so much as hypercorrections - where people are trying so hard to be clever that they make up rules that don't exist.
The classic example is adding an apostrophe to the plural of abbreviations. For example: photo's instead of photos. The thinking is that "photos" is a contraction of "photographs", so needs an apostrophe. It's not. It is the plural of an abbreviation, photo, which behaves like a word in its own right.
It doesn't take a great deal of effort to imagine the mess that would logically ensue from treating abbreviations as contractions. Especially in the genitive tense.

'to' instead of 'too' and visa-versa.

'there' instead of 'their', and visa versa.

Oh yes, and 'init'

Dave

Last edited:
Innit.....come on. :p :D

Sorry about that Ruth, but as its a word that I don't use, only hearing it from the mouth of many, and not included in the Oxford English dictionary, how could I possibly know which is the correct spelling. :D

Dave

Last edited:
Back