Hands Up!.... It's The Grammar Police

Out of respect for dorset's nap time, moving on from the less /fewer thing

another one that does my head in is "absolutely clear", or "very clear" - something is either clear or it isn't .

Yeah. Like "almost unique". Rare, unusual or uncommon; but something is either unique or it isn't. For real pedantry, "Our machine gun fire decimated the enemy". Really? Someone counted them and confirmed that exactly 10% of the enemy were killed?

Yeah. Like "almost unique". Rare, unusual or uncommon; but something is either unique or it isn't. For real pedantry, "Our machine gun fire decimated the enemy". Really? Someone counted them and confirmed that exactly 10% of the enemy were killed?

To be fair, the use of decimated in that instance is acceptable under dictionary definitions.

A few minutes ago there was an advertisement on TV for a Tefal Fry Pan. That's a frying pan you idiots!

And whilst I'm in a moaning mood, two Americanisms:

1. "My bad". No. Bad is an adjective. You can't own it!
2. "That's a big ask". No. Ask is a verb. It doesn't need a size!

That's better!

Steve.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a classic line on The Day Today : "Do you have an Armitage-Shanks defecation interface scenario or do you go for a s**t?"

or from blackadder 2 - 'the house is equipped with the very latest in outdoor evacuating privies " "ahh you sh*t out of the windows ?" "Indeed"

This isn't quite a grammar issue, but it's something that irks me: the notion that all decisions are "tough". Barely a day goes by without some politician wittering on about "tough decisions" that have to be made. Grrrr!

to be fair , to a near brainless moron with the intellectual capacity of a whelk, and the moral fortitude of a paramecium, every decision is a tough decision.

It annoys me when football managers talk of getting "a result" - win, lose or draw, after 90 minutes there will definitely be a result. Maybe not the one they wanted but a result all the same.

Australian up-speak has become popular with the soap watching under twenty fives. And while I'm on the case why do we not use 'like' anymore?

Why say I like that, when you can say "I'm liking that" Arrhh ! It's enough to make your blood boil.

That is all.

because they use 'like' insteads of 'said'

"so yeah he was like " you're an illiterate with the intellect of a paramecium" , and I was like you what ? innit "

Back