HelenC's 52 for 2021 - Week 52: Showcase - critique welcome

I really like the tones in that, and the way the metal plays with the light.

Green
It's definetely green, I like the silhouette on the foreground tree.

Snappers Choice
The IR conversion works well, I think you can get away with a crop to remove the thistle withut it being too tight to the edges.

Looking down
With the horizontal sections I keep seeing at 3 seperate images with the top third of the whole image my favourite

Indigenous
Was the insect captured in the middle intended or luck, regardless it works for the theme

Plants
IR is a whole different world bringing lots of interesting possibilities. I don't know if you were lower the barley would get more random along the horizon, it's a bit too defined for me (hope that makes sense!)

Dominating
They certainly dominate the skyline, one of the necessary structures for renewable energy. It's a pity the sky didn't oblige with some drama.

Snapper's Choice
Nice lighting with the pockets on the ground

Hands
The mono conversion works well and can certainly save an otherwise less interesting image.

Hands
Good looking hands. Really like all of the different shades of light and dark.

Nicely shoehorned Helen :)

Nice idea and composition. I'm going to have to shoehorn this theme. (Our cat had to be put down only a couple of weeks ago so no fur)

The Mono one works for me, great tones.
Nicely shoehorned Helen :)

nice shoehorn the black and white shot is excellent

Thanks for the comments folks.

Nice idea and composition. I'm going to have to shoehorn this theme. (Our cat had to be put down only a couple of weeks ago so no fur)

@robj20 Thanks for your comment. Sorry to hear about your cat... never a nice thing to have to do.

Wasn't sure what to do for this week's theme until I passed this and had to grab a quick shot. I think the sign could do with a bit of a clean up too...

PW6A6598 by Helen Cannon

Clever Clogs Award of the week right there :D

Yep. What Dave said. B&W has done well to focus the attention on the "sign" against the background.

I like that. Nothing wrong with a ‘grab shot’

I’m viewing on my phone though and had to click on the Flickr link to read the sign.

At first I thought it might be pet grave.

That may just be my eyes, but if there’s anything you can do to make the writing more legible, I think it could help.

Clever Clogs Award of the week right there :D
Yep. What Dave said. B&W has done well to focus the attention on the "sign" against the background.
Excellent spot bang on theme
I like that. Nothing wrong with a ‘grab shot’

I’m viewing on my phone though and had to click on the Flickr link to read the sign.

At first I thought it might be pet grave.

That may just be my eyes, but if there’s anything you can do to make the writing more legible, I think it could help.
Nice idea, but I think you shook on the take (or it was slower than expected?) as it looks slightly soft... Black and white suits though!

Thanks for the comments guys.
@ecniv It was a dull day and I didn't notice the slow shutter until I looked at it at home. TBH it fits the theme but not an image worth faffing with to try and improve ;)

I ventured to take some stained glass windows but the light was very dull so the effect I was looking for didn't happen. However, I did notice the broken glass until I downloaded some images - such a shame.

PW6A6600 by Helen Cannon

I think the broken glass adds to the image tbh. Sign of the times... [/opinion]

Nice image and there is enough detail in there to make it interesting. I also like the tight crop, and the broken glass doesn't detract at all. Nice job.

That works really well :)

In the grander scheme of things it is a shame that the glass is broken, but I think it might enhance the image and give it deeper meaning.

Something about the fragility of religion. Something about the temporary nature of glass as a medium.

I even think it works in the composition of the image. The arms wide like that look like the gesture you make when you notice that you've spilled something on your top - so it works for me. "Oh s***, my neck's cracked"

I think the broken glass adds to the image tbh. Sign of the times... [/opinion]
Nice image and there is enough detail in there to make it interesting. I also like the tight crop, and the broken glass doesn't detract at all. Nice job.
That works really well :)
In the grander scheme of things it is a shame that the glass is broken, but I think it might enhance the image and give it deeper meaning.

Something about the fragility of religion. Something about the temporary nature of glass as a medium.

I even think it works in the composition of the image. The arms wide like that look like the gesture you make when you notice that you've spilled something on your top - so it works for me. "Oh s***, my neck's cracked"
@Kell thanks for making me laugh!

Glass
I like the broken glass, some how it sort of fits.
Thanks for dropping by and the kind comments.

As my back has decided to play up for the last couple of days and for the first time in ages I won't be out and about so here's one taken this week.. last Thursday to be precise on a Suffolk coast long exposure workshop. The weather was a bit different to today!

PW6A6624 by Helen Cannon

Agree with Paul. Works well IMO. I might be convinced to clone out that patch of land on the RH edge to see what it looked like without. Might spoil the balance though, so unsure... What's the blob on the horizon? Is it a boat?

That's a gorgeous shot, although I might have cropped the bit of land on the right out. I'd hang that on my wall :)

Very nice. Though I find that dot on the horizon very distracting and would remove it.

Lovely image, great use of long exposure and great colour contrast.

That's really nicely done. I love how sections of it seem almost monochrome, then the green comes through.

That's a cracker Helen :)

I think the crack in the glass adds to the picture, shows its age more. Love the use of the long exposure, it looks very eerie.

Glass, both uplifting and depressing at the same time. If there is ever a category called 'Deterioration' or 'Collapse of Society' or something similar you can use it again.

Your sea picture is lovely, very well exposed. I would have liked it more if the far land on the RHS had been cropped out but that's just me being picky.

Very nice, I like that!
Agree with Paul. Works well IMO. I might be convinced to clone out that patch of land on the RH edge to see what it looked like without. Might spoil the balance though, so unsure... What's the blob on the horizon? Is it a boat?
That's a gorgeous shot, although I might have cropped the bit of land on the right out. I'd hang that on my wall :)
Very nice. Though I find that dot on the horizon very distracting and would remove it.
Nice long exposure shot
Lovely image, great use of long exposure and great colour contrast.
That's really nicely done. I love how sections of it seem almost monochrome, then the green comes through.
That's a cracker Helen :)
I think the crack in the glass adds to the picture, shows its age more. Love the use of the long exposure, it looks very eerie.
Great shot Helen.
Thanks for the lovely comments. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to my images so tend not to manipulate my images apart from in camera. However, I do see what you mean about the dot on the horizon. If I print this I will definitely remove it.

This is definitely a PABD shot. I was struggling to do anything with glasses etc so decided to bite the bullet and try a disconnected lens shot. It would seem that my camera won't allow you to take a shot without a lens connected (or I'm doing something wrong... which is not unlikely... :D ).
Anyway, messed around with some artificial / unnatural flowers and a magnifying glass which I hope will be acceptable as my nod towards the tech.

PW6A6783 by Helen Cannon

Back