In need of a 50mm prime (nikon)

Edit My Images
Yes
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Had one for my D40, didn't like it much. Bad CA and quite soft under f/2.8

Now have a D300 and thinking of getting another as i've seen so many good pics.

or do i go 50mm f/1.4G
But is i worth the extra? :thinking:

You have two options really....

50mm prime (f/1.4) - either the new Nikon or the Sigma.

Alternatively as you have a cropped sensor camera you could look at the new Nikon 35mm f/1.8 when it's released or the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

:)

I remember reading somewhere that the new 35mm doesn't work well with larger sensors. not sure how true it is.

I remember reading somewhere that the new 35mm doesn't work well with larger sensors. not sure how true it is.

Well its a DX lens so its not designed for fullframe sensors. It will however work in DX crop mode on the nikon FX range. Your camera however is DX so the 35mm will work fine.

I have the 50/1.4D - it's a nice lens. Apparently the 50/1.4G is nicer - more contrasty wide-open and with AF-S. The Sigma 50/1.4 has less vignetting wide open, but is softer.

The latest issue of AP has a good comparison.

All three lenses have better CA than the 1.8 it would seem.

Duncan.

Zeiss Planar T 50mm 1.4 - you'll find it difficult to find a sharper lens and certainly one with more character... but it's manual focus only.

If the Zeiss is on the table, then have a look at the Voigtlander 58 f/1.4 .. a stunner of a lens; and it too is manual focus, but what a sexy lens.

The D300 doesn't have a larger sensor. If your concern is about when you upgrade you could always get the 35mm f/2. Probably not as good a lens, but it'll last you when you move to full frame.

The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is (apparently, I've not used one myself) very good.

Back