James Webb Telescope

About fifty per cent of the time the 'Where's Webb' site doesn't function properly Nasa Webb site

Sometimes it works fine and other times it shows all the relevant boxes but they are not updated, it's not my browser as I have tried others. Works one day then not the next. Anyone else found this?

About fifty per cent of the time the 'Where's Webb' site doesn't function properly Nasa Webb site

Sometimes it works fine and other times it shows all the relevant boxes but they are not updated, it's not my browser as I have tried others. Works one day then not the next. Anyone else found this?
I have had the NASA Where's Webb as an open tab on my android phone since first posted here at TP.

Each time I select the tab it refreshes AOK for me.

I'll see if it works on the phone, cheers.

Edit:

Worked fine on the phone so went back to the PC, disabled all the ad block and anti-tracking stuff, still didn't work so put it all back on again and it worked -- I have no idea. Still, it works on the phone so I'll use that; missed all the live reports though. Glad it's all deployed now, can't wait to see some images from it in a few months time.

Last edited:
Same here, no issues with the NASA/Web link?

This is my representation (not to scale) of the final orbit of JWST.
JWST in Orbit 02.jpg

We’re getting there! Over 90% distance so far :) Slowing down nicely too.

We’re getting there! Over 90% distance so far :) Slowing down nicely too.
Yes, I have noticed the progressive slowing down.

Do you know if it slows to achieve a geo synchronous orbit? If so I wonder what that speed is at LaGrange L2 ???

I understand that the decrease in speed is likened to rolling a ball uphill, so that when it reaches the top of the hill, L2, it will be at the optimum speed to maintain orbit.

Latest from NASA:

Ground teams plan to fire Webb’s thrusters at 2 p.m. Monday, Jan. 24 (EST) to insert the space telescope into orbit around the Sun at the second Lagrange point, or L2, its intended destination, nearly 1 million miles from Earth. This mid-course correction burn has long been planned for approximately 29 days after launch. This week, the mission operations team selected the target date and time for the burn. Engineers also finished remotely moving Webb’s mirror segments out of their launch positions to begin the months-long process of aligning the telescope’s optics.

The James Webb telescope is now in orbit at its intended L2 location :)

I am now looking forward to seeing the first published images.

Here is a conceptual image of the orbit

1643095827637.jpeg

Last edited:
Should start seeing some spectacular images soon.

NASA are sill quite cautious but yes, with any luck images soon!

They are about to use cryocoolers to get the MIRI (mid infrared instrument) down to about 7 Kelvin but they are using heaters with the cooling to achieve this so as to prevent ice formation. I am a little confused as to why, after all this time at zero atmospheric pressure, there is water (or anything else) left to form ice.

Damn, I'll be on holiday with no access to a computer until the 16th; I suspect the images will be less than impressive on a five inch phone screen.

Here's the first :)

• Webb’s image covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground – and reveals thousands of galaxies in a tiny sliver of vast universe

Mind-boggling - we really are insignificant in the big picture!

Makes you think gramps doesn't it? Surely we are not alone?

Makes you think gramps doesn't it? Surely we are not alone?
Such an amazing glimpse into the wonder of the Universe, it would be awful to think that there are more like 'us' out there! :(

Reactions: RIR
I was listening on World Service last night and they said of the first image that the pink splashes on the image were galaxies 13.5 billion light years away i.e. very close to the beginnings of the Universe. And that they had hopeful expectations to find some earlier evidence closer to the first few million years of the start!

Staggering science in action.

As for other life? I would perceive that statistically there must be other life but is it commonplace or very rare and as such is it sentient life!

Amazing

Quote from an article on the Medium website which I hope is accessible.

"All told, there are still about 2 sextillion (2 × 10²¹) stars in the Universe....
It’s true that there are hundreds of billions of stars within the Milky Way, which is just one galaxy among trillions — likely between 6 and 20 trillion — in this enormous, expanding Universe.

But even though we’re seeing just the tip of the cosmic iceberg with even today’s greatest, most powerful observatories, we really are capturing most of the stellar activity that’s present throughout our cosmos. With the advent of the upcoming James Webb Space Telescope, we might finally get the observational confirmation of these faint, distant, early-type galaxies that we know must be out there."

The numbers are simply mindblowing.

Last edited:
I must say, NASA are being a bit stingy with releasing the images captured by JWST :(

At this rate it’ll take years to see them all!

Last edited:
I must say, NASA are being a bit stingy with releasing the images captured by JWST :(

At this rate it’ll take years to see them all!
Well, with the less than planned fuel used to reach its 'station' it will AFAIK have in excess of a 20 year life.......so time in hand ;)

Well, with the less than planned fuel used to reach its 'station' it will AFAIK have in excess of a 20 year life.......so time in hand ;)
For sure, I’ll be approaching 87 years of age by then! :)

Last edited:
For sure, I’ll be approaching 87 years of age by then! :)

You and me both Norkie.
Thanks for reminding me just how old I will be in 20 years time :LOL:

All I can say is that I look forward with wonder to what scientific advances we will see in the rest of my lifetime:)

Back