Jessops on the verge of administration

I thought that when you did collect at store you were only reserving the product and had to pay for it on collection. I know that's what I've done in the past and what I did earlier I the week but as I've said above there is little point in me going to collect it as I would be paying with vouchers which now won't be accepted as payment.

He must've done it before they suspended it then, pretty bad treatment all the same, and I don't think Jessops have any say on their merchant services any more, and i dont believe banks can do it for debit cards can they, just credit cards.

He no doubt did do it before they suspended it, just pointing out that there's no chance of anybody going online now and reserving something to collect in store.

Chargebacks can be made against debit cards as well as credit cards.

Nifkin said:
He no doubt did do it before they suspended it, just pointing out that there's no chance of anybody going online now and reserving something to collect in store.

Chargebacks can be made against debit cards as well as credit cards.

But even if it can be done, who do they charge back, Jessops don't officially exist now, the receivers have it.

At least that's what the staff were telling this guy, he paid Jessops, not the receivers, all stock is in the hands of receivers, how do they charge back a company that isn't technically there any more.

Having started this thread and read through all the comments so far, I find it quite interesting to see how everyone thinks differently, but most are able to put forwards a valid argument/point for what's happened.

I live and breathe online and retail day in day out as I work for a large systems integrator that provides solutions to retailers. Online became a must have channel a long time ago for the big players (even if not all of them don't have it today), however today more and more retailers are talking about improving their focus on improving the customer experience, irrespective of the channel that the customer engages with the retailer. They are only just starting to wake up to the fact that bricks and mortar stores price matching online only retailers will result in an ever decreasing spiral of lower margins and the need for cost cutting, purely and simply because it is an unsustainable model.

As many have pointed out here, with most goods available online and cheaper than in-stores, the store should be offering an experience that entices customers in and results in a customer leaving with bags full of goods. They shouldn't just act as an "Internet showroom"! The difficulty is actually achieving that "exciting/worthwhile store experience"!!

One thing is very clear. By having a limited stock in store and staff with little knowledge/experience/desire to be there other than to earn their minimum wage, you're not going to differentiate, at least not for the right reasons. People are willing to pay more, but only if the in-store experience makes the difference in price seem worth it.

As an example relevant to Jessops, if someone has a £1,000 budget to buy a new camera kit (body, lenses, case, memory cars etc.), chances are they're not going to share that as soon as they walk through the door. Instead, it should be through the sales attendant getting the person engaged in conversation through which they should be able to quickly recognise that the person has come to buy, but is probably looking for some advice to validate what they've already read in reviews/on the Internet/been told by friends. The sales attendant should then ask what they've already read/been told, what type of photography are they planning to do, any preferences on brand, budget etc to start formulating a bundle to show. By spending time with the person, listening to their needs and showing you know what you're talking about, chances are that the £50 pound difference between taking it away then and there vs going back home, spending time online to find the best deal, ordering it, waiting in for a courier to arrive etc all of a sudden don't look worth it. Now if the difference is £150, then of course the person will probably buy online, if they can't negotiate the delta down.

By no means is it a simple thing to achieve, but that's why the directors of retailers are paid top dollar. The Internet has changed the way we will shop forever, however that doesn't mean it should kill a business. By not changing or adapting your model of engaging your customers, you will kill your business. Same goes for not spotting trends (e.g. Smartphones replacing low end point and shoot cameras) and adapting/tackling these head-on, rather than burying your head in the sand and hoping it will go away. However, having said that, one of the biggest challenges the big chains have is that they are shackled into long term leases with upwards only rents. That's why CVA/Pre-pack administrations seem popular today.

Amazon has already spotted that not having a presence on the high street is one of its biggest weaknesses. Are they sitting back and saying, "oh well!"? Are they heck. They're striking agreements with a number of retailers and services businesses to offer a showroom facility as well as offering lockers for you to collect your goods at your convenience. Offering the best of both worlds, online prices, with the convenience of in-store, without the large overheads of having a huge store estate to maintain. That's why Jeff Bezos is a multi-billionaire that's made it in just over 10 years! He listens to what the customer wants/needs/expects and gives it to them.

I would like to think that Jessops will emerge from the ashes and learn from its mistakes. If it does, it will certainly need to be a different business to what it was yesterday, but that probably won't be a bad thing!!

Last edited:
I personally enjoy going into a shop to purchase something, having the product in your hands in an instant. I had my fingers burned by Amazon a few months ago on a lens and have vowed to pop into whatever the local shop is and buy it there (Microglobe this time). And I am currently trying to decide whether I risked ordering something cheaper from Germany, rather than heading into a shop.

Anyway, it is a shame another high street brand is on the rocks, I wonder how long it is until the Landlords realise that their ridiculous rents are partly to blame for the downfall of our high streets. If you look at any new modern development, the rental rate on any commercial space is obscene (as is private housing). Surely lower rents would help to reinvigorate the high street and allow stores to offer better deals that cold compete with the internet.

Landlords can only charge market rent. They don't want empty buildings. The rents are that price because there are willing people that will pay them. Once those willing people go then rents will fall. Same with residential rents.

Only a halfwit of a landlord would raise the rent so that a tenant leaves and they couldn't be replaced. Voids are the biggest cost so there are very few landlords that are stupid. Each month empty is 1/12th of their income down the pan minimum. Plus they'd have to cover all the standing charges and such like.

But even if it can be done, who do they charge back, Jessops don't officially exist now, the receivers have it.

At least that's what the staff were telling this guy, he paid Jessops, not the receivers, all stock is in the hands of receivers, how do they charge back a company that isn't technically there any more.

The customer's bank will make a chargeback request against the retailer's merchant services account. For a chargeback to be invalidated the onus of responsibility is for the merchant to prove that services or products were supplied. If they can't, the amount owed to the customer is automatically debited against the retailers account (regardless of how in the red they are, or whether those accounts are now held by the receivers, they still exist) and the customer gets their money back.

I bought a Canon 550D triple lens pack from them before Christmas. Two branches, two experiences.

Manchester City Centre - staff completely clueless.

Stockport - completely clued up, couldn't have been more helpful - pointed out a monopod on clearance when I mentioned I was aware one. Terrific service.

Shame they're going as without being able to try their equipment I wouldn't have bought.

Nifkin said:
The customer's bank will make a chargeback request against the retailer's merchant services account. For a chargeback to be invalidated the onus of responsibility is for the merchant to prove that services or products were supplied. If they can't, the amount owed to the customer is automatically debited against the retailers account (regardless of how in the red they are, or whether those accounts are now held by the receivers, they still exist) and the customer gets their money back.

The voucher I have was purchased on a debit card so maybe not all is lost after all?

Anyway, it is a shame another high street brand is on the rocks, I wonder how long it is until the Landlords realise that their ridiculous rents are partly to blame for the downfall of our high streets. If you look at any new modern development, the rental rate on any commercial space is obscene (as is private housing). Surely lower rents would help to reinvigorate the high street and allow stores to offer better deals that cold compete with the internet.

You are right about the rent, I enquired a lot of years ago about renting a small barrow which is a tiny stall which you fine on the walkways of shopping centers selling small stuff like jewelry etc. This one was in the Metro center and I wanted to sell my Art work (I had a market stall at the time and did ok from it) the market stall was £65 a week the barrow was £350 a week.

When I was at Game I cannot remember the exact amount now but I remember I was totally shocked when I found out what they paid a year in rent......

Nifkin said:

Well good luck to the guy then. Still a very unnecessary thing to have to do though.

The voucher I have was purchased on a debit card so maybe not all is lost after all?

As long as you file your claim within six months of the purchase you should be OK.

Well good luck to the guy then. Still a very unnecessary thing to have to do though.

Yes, but at least he can get his money back, and quickly. Hope he does his research and finds this out instead of taking Jessop's staff's word for it.

I recently bought a new Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 - Jessops had a good online price on the VC version but would not match this price in-store but the sales assistant did inform me that I could order online and pick up and pay in-store.

Quite possibly their POS (point of sale) system wasn't set up to allow price matching or even managerial discount.
The irony is you could've stood in the store, bought it online, then picked it up all in the space of a few minutes.
Frustrating for staff having their hands tied, but there must've been a reason it was operated that way - previous staff abusing the discretionary discount facility for family/friends perhaps?

If Jessop's do vanish completely from the high street it would be a terrible loss. It would mean that except for a few citys there would not be a dedicated camera dealer.
Here in Leicester we had four shops two years ago,Jessop's,Youngs and two branches of Jacobs.
I have found that Jessop's prices on lenses and cameras were reasonable but for things like memory cards they were way out. I was in the Leicester branch yesterday just before the news broke. I was looking at the D600 at £1,450. OK I know I could buy it online for about £1,300, but would it be UK stock and if there was a problem there would be more hassle sending it back. Some are going to say that £150 difference is worth taking the chance. But in percentages it isn't like a 16gb SD card at £50 when I have just bought the same card from Amazon at £15 including postage.
I have just worked out that I have spent over five grand at Jessop's since the middle of 2009 so I feel that I have done my bit to keep camera shops on the high street.
I just hope that Jessop's can come through this.

Quite possibly their POS (point of sale) system wasn't set up to allow price matching or even managerial discount.
The irony is you could've stood in the store, bought it online, then picked it up all in the space of a few minutes.
Frustrating for staff having their hands tied, but there must've been a reason it was operated that way - previous staff abusing the discretionary discount facility for family/friends perhaps?

I did exactly this. I was told that they didn't have the facility to process the online price unless I went through online ordering. They acknowledged it was silly, but their hands were tied. I got out my iphone, ordered online in front of them and picked it up shortly afterwards.

Operating on the high street is expensive - rent, rates, bills, wages, stock etc that online retailers don't have.

I'm presuming you've phrased that incorrectly, but if not then you're as daft as a brush to think online operators don't have rent, rates, electricity bills, staff wages, stock, etc to pay.
That a commercial unit will have a lower valuation for rent and rates is true, but it's not exactly free, and it's because of the lower overheads that they can survive on volume and/or low margins.
As they grow, then they can attract better discount rates from the suppliers and delivery providers, so making more profit or again keeping prices down.

Just heard about jessops, had a quick look at the prices online. They match WEX, and I can collect in store....so will it go lower as they shut stores?

No you can't collect in store - they're not processing online orders, nor honouring vouchers in-store either.
The website is purely for info on equipment and videos will remain, but no transactions are being offered or accepted.

Also it seems Camerapricebuster.co.uk aren't listing Jessops at the moment - cant find a single price from them in there

Why would they, since Jessops is to all intent purposes, gone?
Can't process an order, so pointless directing viewers to the site.
Very sensible and on the ball, until we know what's what.

PJ S said:

Last Christmas at their hedge end (southampton) store I was after a flash. It was £10 cheaper on their website which I already knew. So when I went to buy it the very informative staff member used their store computer to do a collect in store and save me the hassle of doing it from my iphone.

But in their Fareham store last week I needed some quick snaps printing I was having issues with image transfer and the staff just kept on ignoring me so I decided to go home and get them done elsewhere.

A sad situation.. I do feel sorry for the lower level staff and creditors, and it saddens me to see another nail in the coffin of high street retail. Conversely the staff knowledge and integrity varied greatly in my experience (after all, that's what you should be paying a premium for over web sales), I wonder how well the whole chain was managed and some of their peripheral prices were excessive to the point of being offensive.

Has anyone been into their local store today to see what the crack is? I'm tempted to ask for an extended lunch break and go bargain hunting..

Not sure what the process is with administration - on the BBC website the administrators are quoted as saying "there will be store closures" so it sounds like they're not yet ready to flog everything off cheap and lay off all the staff.

I suppose the administrators will try and par the company down to claw back some money to appease debtors for the time being, while trying to keep the chain as a going concern.

I wonder if a lot of the higher end stock will go back to suppliers.. on the one hand it's in Jessops' interest to keep it and sell it at a discount rate (providing they're not making a loss). On the other hand the suppliers might rather see their products returned since, while losing their margin they've at least recovered something tangible, rather than waiting in line with all the other debtors for their share of the liquified assets (which may be less than the value of the stock they're owed for).

The sales staff in my local store found out about the chain's collapse when a customer expressed their commiserations...

That local store is only (currently) offering their normal stock at their normal (well, normal January sale) prices, so no extra bargains to be had.

So far, customer reaction has been anger (directed at the poor floor staff...) and sympathy, according to the young lady (who's off on maternity leave in 2 weeks) who took the money for a flash drive.

Ok - just been to my local Jessops and they are NOT ACCEPTING gift cards:(
Not happy as its cash they already have and won't give goods for.
Verges on theft in my eyes.

The theft angle has occured to me too. While the floor staff were in the mushroom club (kept in the dark and fed a load of bull****), the senior management must have known the brown smellies were headed for the ventilation device and should have warned voucher buyers and stopped selling them weeks ago. (Not just my opinion but that of the girl I spoke to as well as another gentleman I spoke to about the demise in another store).

I thought that when you did collect at store you were only reserving the product and had to pay for it on collection. I know that's what I've done in the past and what I did earlier I the week but as I've said above there is little point in me going to collect it as I would be paying with vouchers which now won't be accepted as payment.

That's how it's worked for me when I've done the order online/collect in store thing at Jessops and elsewhere.

The floor staff know no more than us (and probably less - they can't see current news [and I bet the people who are allowed internet access aren't allowed to pass on any relevant information!]) but are taking all the anger from aggrieved members of the public. If you feel the need to shout at someone re your now worthless vouchers, go to their head office and shout at the lady gardens who are responsible, NOT the floor staff at your local store.

I don't think that he is in a minority, many people want to see and touch goods before they buy them, whether it be cameras, computers, cars, clothing - particularly shoes.

That doesn't actually make any sense. If the majority (not the minority) of people want to see and touch goods before buying them and are happy to pay more for the privilege then why are physical stores losing out to online stores?

I am referring to CDs, DVD, Cameras in this and have already mentioned that certain shops will remain - such as shoes and clothes as they need to be tried on in different sizes and so on so ordering online would be more hassle than it's worth.

Nod said:
That's how it's worked for me when I've done the order online/collect in store thing at Jessops and elsewhere.

Same for me, the staff at my local staff have been brilliantly helpful and even amended the price of my flash to drop it by £25!
Nod said:
The floor staff know no more than us (and probably less - they can't see current news [and I bet the people who are allowed internet access aren't allowed to pass on any relevant information!]) but are taking all the anger from aggrieved members of the public. If you feel the need to shout at someone re your now worthless vouchers, go to their head office and shout at the lady gardens who are responsible, NOT the floor staff at your local store.

Too right. It's disgraceful that people think it ok to vent their frustrations at possibly losing out on a £20 voucher at someone who is facing the prospect of being out of work through no fault of their own.

Last edited:
Quote from the above link

"The camera expert is the first major high street casualty of 2013".

Camera expert?

Has anyone been into their local store today to see what the crack is? I'm tempted to ask for an extended lunch break and go bargain hunting..

It will probably be a while before any stock is reduced - they still need to decide what stock goes back to suppliers, what stores if any remain open and which are closed etc etc. There may be buyers for certain stores or parts of the business or the website etc. As others have pointed out most stores did not actually have that much stock in store anyway, except for more popular items.

I hate Jessops, I returned a camera for a refund on boxing day and I was told I'd receive a refund through paypal however I haven't till this day. They say they've issued it a week ago and paypal says nothing has happened...I am so frustrated right now!!!!!!!

I think Canon will end up simply selling direct themselves. Most retailing costs have been removed by the web and lets face it, why should they bother with the likes of Panamoz or digital rev etc, they just feed off canon without adding significant value to a brand. They would then retain the profit these other companies make and simply set up a dispatching arm of their own. They would become bomb proof. Raw materials to retail, is very much the future now that getting stuff out there is a mouse click away and modern logistics are so awesome. Why give discounting chancers with no loyalty to anything but a quick profit regardless, an account and let them front any part of your business. Would you do that?

My wife took a call today (she works for the police), from a chap who wanted to speak to an officer...
"whats the nature of the call?"
He replied "What would happen if I just go into jessops and take what I want"
"You'd be arrested"
He then went on to 'explain' that he had £200 worth of Jessops vouchers and they had 'taken his wifes money', but he can't spend them.
My wife had to explain, that is true and unfortunate, but 'stealing' the goods from the shop is not the solution!

I'm not sure what he actually did after the call as she tends to speak to all sorts of nutters - so he is probably in custody tonight :LOL:

I hate Jessops, I returned a camera for a refund on boxing day and I was told I'd receive a refund through paypal however I haven't till this day. They say they've issued it a week ago and paypal says nothing has happened...I am so frustrated right now!!!!!!!

Funds in your account or via your card?
If the latter, then chargeback from Paypal after speaking with your card provider.
If the former, then you'll need to get in touch with Paypal directly since you'll be covered if the transaction was done as a purchase, not sent as a gift.
Do you have any form of proof you returned the item?
That'll be handy or required to pursue the claiming back of funds.

I work in Jessops. Feel free to ask me any questions, but don't expect any answers, as we know nothing and are, as usual, kept in the dark :LOL:

Last edited:
Well I just got a nice email from jessops. Ordered a sigma 30mm 1.4 lens on 10 months interest free just after Xmas, paid £100 deposit. They email saying they won't be sending me my item and won't be able to give me a refund!!!!! Robbing *******s

nipplebass said:
Well I just got a nice email from jessops. Ordered a sigma 30mm 1.4 lens on 10 months interest free just after Xmas, paid £100 deposit. They email saying they won't be sending me my item and won't be able to give me a refund!!!!! Robbing *******s

Did you pay deposit with credit card? Also the credit provider might also be partly liable. Worth asking on the money saving expert forums about best thing to do.

It's not them, its pwc. They decide the rules.

I do feel bad for those Jessops employee's who actually know about and care about photography. The rest? you're the problem.

Years ago I went for a job at one of the Leeds stores (back when we had two here) they turned me down because I knew too much about cameras and photography... :bonk:

My friends who worked at the other Leeds store and a London store were flabbergasted, turns out they had a rather moronic manager who took on people who knew next to nothing and got them selling compacts.

A year later, camera phones take over. Great plan batman. :clap:

I'm sure other, smarter, camera shops will take over the stores that will actually make a profit. Same thing happened in the music instrument industry a few years back when Sound Control went under. People will still need camera stores at the end of the day.

People will still need camera stores at the end of the day.

why?

so many people use them to check out products, then buy online that there's less in it then you'd expect.

the people that need high street shops are the manufacturers or their products wont get any real exposure.

Phoned Jessops today with regard to an Adaptor ring and filter holder I ordered and paid for in store on Monday to be delivered to my home as they had none in stock.
Paid using £20 of tesco/jessops vouchers and remainder with credit card.
I was transfered to my local store who basically said I should hold fire until mid next week as it'll take administrators that long to sort out the complete financial situation and by then they may start releasing orders and accepting vouchers.
Its not in thier interest to completley alienate customers as this will make it look an even worse prospect for potential buyers.
On the tesco voucher had an email from tesco today saying that they would refund on all vouchers and with an address to send them to. Shame I used mine on Monday

I have just read in the Sun (I know not a reliable source) that the administarors are telling staff that if people want items they have already paid for but not collected (including repairs) that they will have to pay for them again!!!

I have just read in the Sun (I know not a reliable source) that the administarors are telling staff that if people want items they have already paid for but not collected (including repairs) that they will have to pay for them again!!!

That's not good

If you want to read more check page 17 of tomorrow's Sun.

Back