Light - Is The most important aspect of photography

Going back to the original post, I would like to offer a counter point; isn't it the lack of light that is most important. Sure you need light, but without shadows there would be no picture.
I remember back to the good old days, under the stairs at my Mum and Dad's, in a make shift darkroom. We always started with a white sheet of paper and slowly watched the dark lines and shades appear in the developing tray.

Just my opinion........:exit:

Hi Dino

Welcome to the forum - I have only been on here for a couple of months myself and I've found the majority of members to be really welcoming and helpful. I'm not exactly sure why the post got off to such a shaky start, but please don't apologise for any of the content of your posts, I'm a little appalled at the lack of warm welcome you received from some members if I'm truthful.

There are a lot of spelling and grammar police around this forum and I think they've missed the point of why we're all here. Unless you're contributing to a English grammar forum (which you're not), I don't think anyone has any right to comment on how you use language and I would think it's quite rude to do so. Surely the main objective of this photography forum is that we contribute, we try our best to help each other and above all else we're polite! I can't really figure out some peoples responses on here. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

On the plus side - opening up a discussion on the impact of light and dark on a photography forum is very valid and useful to a beginner such as myself. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your posts and hope you're feeling a little more welcomed.:)

Oh, and just in case anybody here is so young that they don't get the reference, watch this:

And in a pathetic attempt to get things back on topic... After you've watched and enjoyed it (or not, of course...), watch it again and check out the lighting. Can you figure out how it's lit? I don't mean just the bit where they're sitting (that's relatively trivial) but the crowd scenes and the dance too.

Hint: It's not outdoors, it's a studio scene - all on a soundstage.

It has numerous backlights, top/sidelights, rimlights and (doh!) frontlights, yet you barely notice them all unless you keep an eye on the shadows and (specular) highlights.
Cool, eh? :)

Last edited:
By the way Dino, welcome to the madhouse. As you've probably guessed we wander off topic, then occasionally stray back onto it :D

Love your work by the way. Very good

Last edited:
Back