London - the Usual Bits.

Edit My Images
Yes
Just posted this on another forum, so sorry if you have already seen it.

Can you see Tower Bridge?

img_1898f.jpg

Shot at 300m with Sigma 70-300 and it was a hazy day, but I liked this one simply because it reminded me of the "Where's Wally?" type of books.

Thursday was my first time out with a tripod (which helped me realize the importance of getting a decent head), and as I had to go from Waterloo to London Bridge to get my bus home I decided to walk between them and take advantage of the view...

img_2057f.jpg

img_2062f.jpg

img_2072wf.jpg

img_2080f.jpg

The lights on the towers (left one in particular) and the crest were really bright so I took a second shot underexposed by one stop and using a mask blended those parts into the original short to bring out some detail.

Loads of firsts for me in these - I have never done borders before, let alone proper night shots, blending layers, fixing perspective distortion, and cloning out light trails in the sky (there was a lot of air traffic) - so all constructive comments are greatly appreciated.

Michael.

Well for your first time out with a tripod this is pretty good stuff Michael!! I can't comment on the PS stuff but you certainly seem to have done well exposing for the night stuff :) Look forward to seeing more of your work :)

I like Tower Bridge "Hiding" in the first one!

The night shots are cool too - it's excellent fun isn't it - I had my first go earlier in the year and I'm totally hooked now I must admit! The purple London Eye would be my favourite - where did you focus for the Millenium bridge/Tate Modern one? Looks just a touch soft to my eyes.

Now you've got the bug I'll look forward to seeing more of these!

Very good shots. Be pleased

Yea I like those, especially the coloured reflections in the Tate Modern shot. (y)

i really like those, i wanna get some photo's of the london eye, what shutter speed were you using as i can only do upto 15 seconds.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Despite the inconvenience of the tripod it opened up so many new possibilities that more than made up for it.

I like Tower Bridge "Hiding" in the first one!

Me too, it was a bit out of place with the others but I thought it would be nice to include Tower Bridge from an unusual angle. And they do not get much more unusual than 3 miles away in Nunhead!

where did you focus for the Millenium bridge/Tate Modern one? Looks just a touch soft to my eyes.

On the edge of the Chimney then recomposed slightly. I am so unsteady handheld that I am not very good at judging sharpness, just about impresses me! I think fixing the perspective distortion in PS (with the skew option) did lose a little too though as the buildings on that one needed needed a bit more straightening than with the others.

i really like those, i wanna get some photo's of the london eye, what shutter speed were you using as i can only do upto 15 seconds.

That was 6 seconds at f/6.3. I opened up a bit more on that one as I was trying to freeze motion best I could, though I do not think it made much difference. They were all using the Sigma 17-70 lens at ISO 100.

WOW. really nice photos there...good work!!! were you on a boat????

Nope, just walking along the Embankment and walks. It is just a case of finding suitable breaks between all the boats and clutter on the river. That is why the London Bridge shot is cropped differently otherwise you see a big piece of wall in the foreground which I could not avoid, though I think I would have cropped it like that anyway.

Michael.

Back