Mac Anti-virus?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

For thr past few years, I've used mainly linux on my computer and netbook, being an ex-Sys Admin, old habits die hard.

However there's some specific camera related software which only runs on either Mac or Windows.

I tried Windows again and quickly decided it wasn't for me, so I've picked up a cheap pre-owned mac mini as it's not going to be my main rig.

I remember Windows needed robust AV but is there any suggestions or recommendation for Mac AV?

I just use Malwarebytes Free :)

A lot of people say that Apple Macs don't need virus protection, but although the likelihood of infection is low due to its Unix heritage, there's still a chance. In one of my past lives I was an IT Security Manager, and evaluated many products for the Windows environment. I ended up buying 10,000 licences for Sophos, and it's this product I use on my iMac. I don't trust free a/v.
I don't bother with my iPhones/Pads.

Would I be correct in saying that for a Mac if you don’t browse the net and only use it for photo editing and updating etc the programs you use that you don’t need a antivirus?
on my windows PC I use avast free antivirus and I’ve never used one for my MacBook

Never had any in the 12 years of owning macs.
Just because you never had (nor have I) doesn’t mean it cannot happen. To repeat a story I’ve told before, I was in a senior management meeting at a large retail organisation (not the one I was talking about before) and the chief exec said he wanted to save money by not installing fire sprinklers in all their stores because they’d never had a fire.

Just because you never had (nor have I) doesn’t mean it cannot happen. To repeat a story I’ve told before, I was in a senior management meeting at a large retail organisation (not the one I was talking about before) and the chief exec said he wanted to save money by not installing fire sprinklers in all their stores because they’d never had a fire.
Not sure of the relevance of that?

Also never use third-party antivirus software, (not suggesting you automatically do the same though without some astute housekeeping, that's your choice)
Have a think about the business model of these 'free' antivirus programmes. They're not charities, nor do-gooders. They'll make money some way or another.

The last one I saw, which an IT novice relative installed, took over access of the complete hard drive and hammered warning messages regularly saying 'Mac not secure' 'Upgrade for full protection' and slowed the whole lot down.

Mac is a UNIX based system which by base-level programming is more secure than MS Windows. Most attacks now happen through browser based vulnerabilities in the code. The software is updated regularly through security updates....that is the anti-virus protection.

OP: Do you have AV software on your Linux system?

Last edited:
Install our Nomoorefire(TM) sprinkler system - Its completely free. We just need the keys to all your stores, you can trust us, and you can upgrade at any time and we'll put water in the pipes too.
(Jokes - not meant to offend)

Last edited:
All these Mac anti virus software companies are just after your money, waste of time, Gatekeeper is your friend here and the sandbox of course.
Stick AV software on a Mac and it will end up like Windows, bloatware galore. Same for Mackeeper, stay well away as they are more trouble than enough.
This is my personal opinion though and after using Macs for more years than I care to remember.

The moral of the story is, just because something has never happened to you doesn't mean it cannot. AKA insurance.
Probsbly best not to go out of the house, and to live in a bungalow then….

As long as you apply regular Unix principles of never running system as admin user except for maintenance and are careful with your software downloads it is pretty safe on its own. Same as Linux.

I had this annoying avast thing for a few months for a laugh. It never detected anything except bring up all sorts of annoying popups. It's safe to say it was not needed at all.

At the end of a day most infections get green lighted by users. They will even disable av!

In twenty years of using Macs, I have never used AV software.

Another option is to get a VPN ... something like Nord VPN. Your data is behind an encrypted wall, your IP address is hidden & malicious files and ads are blocked.

OP: Do you have AV software on your Linux system?
No. I have used ClamAV, but it's not an always active AV, just when you run a scan. I just wasn't sure about Macs. I did do a bit of work with them towards the end of my time in IT but that was mainly fixing what students broke!

Don’t buy insurance. Don’t wear a seat belt. Don’t have a jab.
You are advocating, fairly strongly, getting Anti-virus for Mac. Based on your personal work experience.

It would be good to hear more about this, if it is being used as evidence to justify Anti-virus for a Mac.

Questions like:

Were they standalone sheds, or maybe in old town centres
New build or retrofit
If the latter - was there enough ceiling height to fit sprinklers? Room for a large tank (sprinkler tanks are large, and heavy...)?
What is the ongoing cost of a system - maintenance, regular checks, capital replacement?
What is the likelihood of an activation - a fault, and accident, or a malicious attack on a sprinkler head?
What is the cost of water damage in a minor fire that activates the system?
Do you need emergency generation to power the pumps in the event of a power supply cut in a fire?
What if your store has an atrium, how do you protect that?
What do the insurers say?
What, actually, is the risk of fire?
What are you trying to protect - e.g. staff, customers, stock, fittings, buildings?
Are there other ways of achieving protection? (e.g. by taking away sources of fire, by having robust and thoroughly tested evacuation procedures, PAT testing)

and so on...

You are advocating, fairly strongly, getting Anti-virus for Mac. Based on your personal work experience.

It would be good to hear more about this, if it is being used as evidence to justify Anti-virus for a Mac.

Questions like:

Were they standalone sheds, or maybe in old town centres
New build or retrofit
If the latter - was there enough ceiling height to fit sprinklers? Room for a large tank (sprinkler tanks are large, and heavy...)?
What is the ongoing cost of a system - maintenance, regular checks, capital replacement?
What is the likelihood of an activation - a fault, and accident, or a malicious attack on a sprinkler head?
What is the cost of water damage in a minor fire that activates the system?
Do you need emergency generation to power the pumps in the event of a power supply cut in a fire?
What if your store has an atrium, how do you protect that?
What do the insurers say?
What, actually, is the risk of fire?
What are you trying to protect - e.g. staff, customers, stock, fittings, buildings?
Are there other ways of achieving protection? (e.g. by taking away sources of fire, by having robust and thoroughly tested evacuation procedures, PAT testing)

and so on...
I'm not telling people they should get a/v. That's their decision. Just relating my personal experience.

For your information, and I have no intention of going into detail, re-the fire sprinklers, this was an off-the-cuff remark by a chief exec who had no idea of what he was saying. He was talking about new-builds in out-of-town sites. Other people will have carried out full risk assessments. End of story.

A lot of people say that Apple Macs don't need virus protection, but although the likelihood of infection is low due to its Unix heritage, there's still a chance. In one of my past lives I was an IT Security Manager, and evaluated many products for the Windows environment. I ended up buying 10,000 licences for Sophos, and it's this product I use on my iMac. I don't trust free a/v.
I don't bother with my iPhones/Pads.
I also use Sophos on my iMac, as I was attracted by the fact that it is used by professionals such as you. It has proved very effective on the few occasions I have been fooled into visiting a suspect site.

Back