Beginner MacBook Pro storage

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I’ve tagged this as beginner as I don’t really understand how the storage works on MacBook Pro with iCloud
1716105654934.jpeg
1716105697005.jpeg
1716105730327.jpeg

The folder for all my finished photo's is in the iCloud folder on my laptop
I put it there so that it automatically backs up to iCloud
Am am confused as I checked the storage in system settings and it says 922 out of 994 GB available so isn’t showing as using up storage but it must be
So do I need to copy that folder onto another directory on my laptop?
They are all backed up in several different place's I’m not relying on iCloud as a backup

At first glance it looks like they are stored offline in iCloud and not on my laptop , but it’s not as straightforward as that as I can copy a folder from that folder in the iCloud directory and it copies instantly, doesn’t download it from the cloud so it must be on my laptop, that’s why I’m confused as to why it’s not showing in storage in the system settings

Last edited:
When you view the files in the folder in icon mode, does it have the little cloud icon next to it? This indicates that the file is in the cloud, rather than locally on your machine. another way to check is to right click on the file and see if it gives you the option to "remove download". If it does, the file is being stored locally on your Mac.

When you view the files in the folder in icon mode, does it have the little cloud icon next to it? This indicates that the file is in the cloud, rather than locally on your machine. another way to check is to right click on the file and see if it gives you the option to "remove download". If it does, the file is being stored locally on your Mac.
thanks Lewis really appreciate the help :)
I’ve just checked and the folder doesn’t have the little cloud icon and when I right click on the individual file it does have the Remove Download option that’s really reassuring that my pictures are actually on my MacBook rather than in iCloud
I was a bit concerned what was going on as when I check in system settings / storage I have 919.5 GB available out of 994 GB , the actual size of the documents folder is 344.71 GB
That’s all OK though can live with that as I know now that my pictures are actually on the MacBook

Last edited:
thanks Lewis really appreciate the help :)
I’ve just checked and the folder doesn’t have the little cloud icon and when I right click on the individual file it does have the Remove Download option that’s really reassuring that my pictures are actually on my MacBook rather than in iCloud
I was a bit concerned what was going on as when I check in system settings / storage I have 919.5 GB available out of 994 GB , the actual size of the documents folder is 344.71 GB
That’s all OK though can live with that as I know now that my pictures are actually on the MacBook
If you have a 1TB SSD and you still have 919.5GB available, but have 314GB of photos… They IMHO, are not on your Mac, they are in the Cloud as per the iCloud Drive info you’ve shown.

Suggest you get a USB-C external drive (Samsung T6 or similar) and store them on that.

If you have a 1TB SSD and you still have 919.5GB available, but have 314GB of photos… They IMHO, are not on your Mac, they are in the Cloud as per the iCloud Drive info you’ve shown.

Suggest you get a USB-C external drive (Samsung T6 or similar) and store them on that.

Thanks Glen :) , it is puzzling what’s going on with it, I have tried copying and pasting an image onto another external drive it does do that quickly as well as checked what Lewis suggested above
, I do already have a Samsung T6 external and everything is on there as well , when I edit and save an image I also save it onto the T6 external
I’m not really computer savvy but do also have everything backed up on several other hard drives including one kept by a family member at their house

There is a really easy way to find out if the photographs are stored in the cloud or on your hard drive. Turn OFF wifi.
If they are stored in the cloud you will NOT be able to access them.
If they are stored on your hard drive you WILL be able to access them.

There is a really easy way to find out if the photographs are stored in the cloud or on your hard drive. Turn OFF wifi.
If they are stored in the cloud you will NOT be able to access them.
If they are stored on your hard drive you WILL be able to access them.
Good point I’ll try that later

Back