May someone suggest a good Wifi Range Booster for me?

Edit My Images
Yes
We would like to get a better wifi signal in the garden shed, at the moment the pc can't get anything and the tablet can pick up the signal occasionally. Been browering the bay and amazon but unsure of the quality of them. So I hope I can get some advise from here. Thanks in advance.

Is there any power in the shed? If so why not use a powerline.

Where is the router? front or back of the house?

Powerline carries network over mains. You plug one in at the router, one in the shed and you have wired internet access. Then you can add an access point in the shed :)

Powerline carries network over mains. You plug one in at the router, one in the shed and you have wired internet access. Then you can add an access point in the shed :)

Yeh, that seems the way to got. I'm about to use these for a similar situation in my house.

It is not a cable, it uses the existing mains cable :)

Yeh, that seems the way to got. I'm about to use these for a similar situation in my house.
I've just bought a couple, for the (New) blue ray, but got around to "setting it up" yet.
if you beat me to it, I'd be interested to know how you got on (y)
Just goole it and now I know what is it. I thought it is like the extension cable or the lan cable :p
Apparently there are "issues" if the shed is on a different circuit (ring main) to the
place where the router is.
Having said that, I believe that you are supposed to be able to buy "intelligent ones" that cross circuits?

If you have a PC world near you, these might be worth thinking about.
Save yourself 7 quid and reserve/ pick up in store.
I did :D
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/netwo...rline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-21748980-pdt.html

Edit Bugger!
Just saw the above linky :D

I've just bought a couple, for the (New) blue ray, but got around to "setting it up" yet.
if you beat me to it, I'd be interested to know how you got on (y)

Apparently there are "issues" if the shed is on a different circuit (ring main) to the
place where the router is.
Having said that, I believe that you are supposed to be able to buy "intelligent ones" that cross circuits?

Thanks Hissy for the reply and the link which I will try to get tomorrow.

The quote above, sorry that it means nothing to me. I will try the BT one and report back.

The quote above, sorry that it means nothing to me. I will try the BT one and report back.
(y)

Its something to do with having two circuits in the house,
which I believe some do.
I'm no electrician hence the question mark :)

(y)

Its something to do with having two circuits in the house,
which I believe some do.
I'm no electrician hence the question mark :)
I've successfully had powerline adaptors running to a garage which was on a different circuit (y)

I've successfully had powerline adaptors running to a garage which was on a different circuit (y)
Cool that answers that then :)
Not that I have to "consider that"
As the two points are on the same ring main anyway.

AFAIK (but note that I'm NOT an electrician so could be wrong!), it's not so much the circuit that has to be the same as the phase. Most houses will have a few different circuits (open the distribution board/fusebox to see how many) running around them but they'll probably all be on the same phase. The different circuits tend to be there to offer protection to the consumer so are separated into (usually) sections like downstairs ring main (sockets), upstairs ring main, garage, downstairs lights, upstairs lights, cooker, boiler etc with suitable fuses (or circuit breakers) on each different circuit. These different circuits (if they all run into the same distribution board) will almost always be connected electrically so the range extenders should work.

AFAIK (but note that I'm NOT an electrician so could be wrong!), it's not so much the circuit that has to be the same as the phase. Most houses will have a few different circuits (open the distribution board/fusebox to see how many) running around them but they'll probably all be on the same phase. The different circuits tend to be there to offer protection to the consumer so are separated into (usually) sections like downstairs ring main (sockets), upstairs ring main, garage, downstairs lights, upstairs lights, cooker, boiler etc with suitable fuses (or circuit breakers) on each different circuit. These different circuits (if they all run into the same distribution board) will almost always be connected electrically so the range extenders should work.
That's right that being on a different phase would stop it working, but its extremely rare for a domestic property to be a 3-phase system (with the exception of a block of flats, but each flat would only be single phase). I.e. most people won't come across that problem :)

Got the powerline things that advised by Hissy, and they work fine. though not very strong signal, at least it is useable. Thanks all
Cool :)
Glad it worked I hope you reserved them on line :D

Still not hooked mine up yet though.

I have quite a few TP Link AV500 powerline units (Nano400) and they are superb. one set are fitted in my man cave 70metres from the house linked by 25mm 3 core armoured cable. Linked to Infinity 2 inteenet which arrives at 74Mps (arount 8Mb/s download). The link through allows uninterupted BBC IPlayer service through my ROKU 3 (frf from a powerline adapter through a Trendnet 8 port Gigabit unmanaged switch (£18.99 from DABS ebay outlet).

I have a TP Link wireless extender in the upper hall of my house with thick internal walls and essentiallythe whole house is covered for internet. I intend to use another extender for my man cave to link my IPad to the internet.

If you looking for the simplest solution then Powerline really does the job. Tidy and simple.

I have used TP Link but the likes kf BT, Netgear, Zylex, Devolo etc etc all produce good product.

Stay away from older 85meg units as they will not link with later AV200 and AV500 units

Steve

Last edited:
Back