Mcafee a warning

Name
Rhod
Edit My Images
Yes
Been using Mcafee Total Protection for three years now, came installed on the laptop and being a tad complacent just went with it.

Today I couldn't connect to the net and after half an hour on the phone to my isp was told that Mcafee have added some crappy update that has bu*****d up my connection. I was advised to uninstall it and to install AVP in the interim.

After doing this all is well again but here's the rub. I pay Mcafee £70pa for their "service", when they made this cock up they have decided not not inform their customers nor issue any form of apology. They have issued a fix but that means reinstalling their 2nd class product.

On top of this they have been using their access to my PC to drop spam adverts onto my desktop which cannot be cancelled only closed.

I have tried contacting their customer service dept but no one answers the phone. As I have 6 months left on my subscription I want a refund but somehow doubt if one will be forthcoming.

Well done Mcafee you've lost another customer:(

Sorry for the rant!

+1 for Microsoft security essentials. Runs efficiently and quietly in th background and has a tiny resource footprint so doesn't hog lots of memory /cpu and doesn't integrate itself into your pc like a b****y cancer like the paid for bloat ware that the third parties foist on you.

Been through the Mcafee pain a few years ago.
But blimey - never thought I'd see M$ products recommended :D

Since then I've been using AVG Free and it's never caused any trouble other than an annual suggestion to upgrade to the paid version.

Last edited:
Flossyrockstar said:
And it,s poo, get avast it,s also free, also regular updates and far superior.
It,s got rid of two viruses that ms essentials didn't even know about.

You can use lots of different av program's and every one now and again will pick up something that the other doesn't. 99% of the time these erroneous detections are false positives because of the way each av engine uses and reads heuristics. It does not necessarily mean that avast picked up 2 genuine viruses that other program's missed. Trust me MSE Is not poo.

Actually it's based (or at least rebranded) on a pretty good av engine

Very true, but have had to sort 2 PCs in the last four months that MSE failed.

As far as i am concerned, it's just your Donald Duck if your AV works or not.

On the other hand, paying for AV is for rich folk!

Last edited:
+1 for Microsoft security essentials. Runs efficiently and quietly in th background and has a tiny resource footprint so doesn't hog lots of memory /cpu and doesn't integrate itself into your pc like a b****y cancer like the paid for bloat ware that the third parties foist on you.

This.

Back