Memory Cards and SD in particular.

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
As we know, more and more Cameras are now supporting the ultra fast CF Express Type B cards which not only are coming out in incredibly large capacities, but also blindingly quick read and write speeds currently typically approx. 1700mb/sec, but with the adoption of PCIe Gen 4, those speeds are set to get much faster when camera manufactures start supporting the Gen 4 protocol with appropriate hardware built into the cameras.

So, I've been wondering for a while what's the future of the humble SD card ? Whist capacities have increased over the last few years (i.e. 256gb or 512gb cards are quite common now), SD is still hampered by the maximum read and write speed of the bus architecture (typically around 300mb/sec max.). A lot of physically small cameras (the smaller Sony's, Micro Four thirds and smaller Nikon Z's for example), would require major redesigns to accommodate CF Express Type B card slots instead of the much smaller and thinner SD slots. I thought that was pretty much where the development ended for SD cards and that it's future long term was very insecure.

However, I've just been over to the SD Associations website, and apparently we will all soon be introduced to the new New SD Express cards. This includes doubling the microSD Express memory card speed up to 2GB/s, using PCIe Gen4 interface. These new SD Express cards can make use of the same form factor as regular SD Cards, and are backwards compatible to slower interfaces.

From the SD Associations website:
SD Express memory cards are the newest generation of SD memory cards supporting the PCIe and NVMe interface beside the legacy SD UHS-I interface on the same card. The first SD Express cards were introduced with SD7.0 specifications for the full-size SD form factor supporting PCIe Gen 3 x1 lane interface. SD7.1 added the same capability to the microSD form factor. Then, SD8.0 introduced additional PCIe interfaces – PCIe Gen 4 x1, PCIe G3 x2 and PCIe Gen4 x2.

Allegedly according to the website, it's easy it is to add SD Express to virtually any host device. Maybe this is the future for smaller bodies that just don't have the space for the bigger cards ?

I thought it was interesting, hope you do too ?

Sony use the CF Express Type A cards as their 'fast' option - they are a similar size to SD cards, but significantly faster (and more expensive!).

Sounds good! I like SD cards as they are almost ubiquitous. I have had to but a CF Express card for my new camera, which also means I either need a suitable card reader, rather than just shoving the SD card into my laptop.

SD cards are great.. maybe I’m not quite the clone that SD have been fine for me with my R5. I just found it annoying that certain video modes needed cf.. I hate CF as it’s so big and another dang card reader and expensive.. SD slot have just reappeared on the new MacBooks so please god no… ☺️

Apart from newer developments......?

I have SanDisk Extreme Pro and found them good in use including the UHS II 300 MB/s version....However, I have heard good user comments about the Sony Tough G series!

I want to buy 2 or 3 more UHS II cards but wonder if (subject to price?) I should get Sony Tough G this time :thinking:

FWIW I tend yo stick with 32GB as I try to avoid 'all my eggs in one basket'

TIA for any insights :)

So, I've been wondering for a while what's the future of the humble SD card ?
The sole constant of computer technology is change and what is a digital camera, if not a computer with a lens attached?

I take the view that it doesn't matter what medium you store your data on, provided you have a clear idea of how to move it on to the next generation, when your current medium is no longer adequately supported. I've still got a single 8 inch floppy disk, which stores a massive 1.2 megabytes ! Of course, I no longer have a drive to read from it but the data will have been copied onwards and is somewhere in my archives, if I ever feel I need it.

The sole constant of computer technology is change and what is a digital camera, if not a computer with a lens attached?

I take the view that it doesn't matter what medium you store your data on, provided you have a clear idea of how to move it on to the next generation, when your current medium is no longer adequately supported. I've still got a single 8 inch floppy disk, which stores a massive 1.2 megabytes ! Of course, I no longer have a drive to read from it but the data will have been copied onwards and is somewhere in my archives, if I ever feel I need it.
and that’s it in a nutshell Andy , with faster cameras shooting at 20fps+ I rarely come home from a days shoot without a few hundred images , there obviously not all keepers but as tech improves ,firmware updates etc I have more keepers than is sensible , making the hard drive backups I hav3 done over the years more and more redundant . I very rarely in fact these days bother to access old files it’s far easier to delve into Flickr and search out a suitable example image if needed

Back