Money thoughts …

Just read today that the BOE will almost certainly cut rates once our new Labour govt is installed so that they can take the credit,
Where did you read this? I am just hanging on for middle of august then i can re invest.. hopefully stays at 4.50%

Where did you read this? I am just hanging on for middle of august then i can re invest.. hopefully stays at 4.50%

You should be able to find something on this. As far as I can see it's been touted by numerous commentators. That doesn't mean it'll happen but playing politics is hardly beyond the BOE and other financial institutions.

Food prices are stubbornly staying high despite the inflation number dropping to target 2% elsewhere in the economy. Inflation was running at 11.1% in October 2022. Today, Food inflation is 25% higher than at that time,too. Inflation in the service sector is currently running at 5.7% and core inflation, which doesn't include energy nor food, is running at 3.5%. The BOE wants to see these levels reduced before a cut in interest rates. Maybe a cut at the August MPC meeting. There was no change this time due to the closeness of the election.

Food prices are stubbornly staying high despite the inflation number dropping to target 2% elsewhere in the economy. Inflation was running at 11.1% in October 2022. Today, Food inflation is 25% higher than at that time,too. Inflation in the service sector is currently running at 5.7% and core inflation, which doesn't include energy nor food, is running at 3.5%. The BOE wants to see these levels reduced before a cut in interest rates. Maybe a cut at the August MPC meeting. There was no change this time due to the closeness of the election.
I have recently renewed car insurance for 2 vehicles and the premiums have vastly increased. After chatting to the Insurer and being told premiums have gone up by 66%, Also my holiday insurance has gone up,, airport parking have also gone up, along with cost of holidays. I know holidays are luxuries and I agree they are, and it was something we would look forward to for working hard for our money.
We have been getting quotes for repairs on the home and again they are a lot higher than a few years ago !
My small pay award was absorb a long time ago on rising cost of living !

I have recently renewed car insurance for 2 vehicles and the premiums have vastly increased. After chatting to the Insurer and being told premiums have gone up by 66%, Also my holiday insurance has gone up,, airport parking have also gone up, along with cost of holidays. I know holidays are luxuries and I agree they are, and it was something we would look forward to for working hard for our money.
We have been getting quotes for repairs on the home and again they are a lot higher than a few years ago !
My small pay award was absorb a long time ago on rising cost of living !
My bold: To be honest I don't think holidays should be considered 'a luxury'. Maybe you meant in these straitened times but I'd say they have slipped down the priority list...in many cases off it. Holidays away are important for well-being .

Holidays. Luxury or no? As a kid we would be lucky to go to a guesthouse for a night or two or maybe I’d go camping with the scouts but there were no two weeks in Spain or Greece. Maybe for more affluent families but I certainly didn’t know anyone that did.

The house adjoining our semi detached was rented out. The last folk that lived there told us that they had to move as they couldn’t afford it. Whilst we were chatting, Starbucks delivered drinks and McDonald’s delivered meals, presumably ordered on new iPhones.

Life is and always has involved prioritising what money you have and deciding where best to spend it. Personally I’m pretty pleased that I had few distractions when I was a kid - and from what I can see my generation have probably been happier for it.

Holidays. Luxury or no? As a kid we would be lucky to go to a guesthouse for a night or two or maybe I’d go camping with the scouts but there were no two weeks in Spain or Greece. Maybe for more affluent families but I certainly didn’t know anyone that did.

The house adjoining our semi detached was rented out. The last folk that lived there told us that they had to move as they couldn’t afford it. Whilst we were chatting, Starbucks delivered drinks and McDonald’s delivered meals, presumably ordered on new iPhones.

Life is and always has involved prioritising what money you have and deciding where best to spend it. Personally I’m pretty pleased that I had few distractions when I was a kid - and from what I can see my generation have probably been happier for it.
I do know what you mean.
When people tell me they are struggling with cost of living while driving around in a BMW 2 series worth 32 grand financed a PCP, have sky TV, vap a lot, take always ect.

One thing I have noticed through out the the 12 year great depression of 2008 is people did not give up all their luxuries. They would keep the costa, and Sky TV because if you are made redundant you can sit at home and watch the box sets !

I meant that time, priorities and opportunities are different. I'm a 60s child and know we did have it easier than young families do now as we didn’t the different distractions that are available, such as McDonalds - let alone having it delivered - or mobile phones or Sky TV. Credit was an available but I think harder to get into as much of a problem or as swiftly or as deeply as you can now. 'Social' drugs were available if you knew where to look but not so available as now. Thankfully social media involved going to a pub or the cinema. A much simpler way of life.

To get a mortgage we both had full time jobs and I took on a debt collecting job in the evenings and wife did bar work and office cleaning. I accept that jobs are much harder to come by now but not sure that we thought that we were getting an easy ride through life. Many weeks we bought a tray of eggs and a sack of potatoes and that was food as that was all we could afford.

We are now approaching our sunset and grateful that we were able to keep track of stuff and prepare for the future. Despite the government enforcing those in a job paying into a pension I wonder how young families will accept paying for tomorrow if today is a struggle.

Anyone else have a couple of nights in a guesthouse in Great Yarmouth/Blackpool/Prestatyn once a year? Booted out after breakfast whatever the weather, playing some pennies in the arcades, chips for lunch and probably breaking down on the way home?

I have had Sky for many years when they took over O2 Broadband they offered my TV package, Line Rental, Broadband for the same price I was paying O2 for Broadband. Now my basic Sky package with the recent RPI increase in April is pushing towards almost £60 per month !
I do not have enough free time to watch Sky, Netflix, Amazon, Disney, ITVX, BBC iPlayer etc some Sky is going when my contract ends, and I will just get a Broadband deal and buy PVR box to record Freeview channels.

Life was much easier to plan with just 4 TV channels,..lol !

£150 this month on top of last months 100 is quite good when I have less than half what I used to have in there :)

Me £0
Wife £300

She is well chuffed

I meant that time, priorities and opportunities are different. I'm a 60s child and know we did have it easier than young families do now as we didn’t the different distractions that are available, such as McDonalds - let alone having it delivered - or mobile phones or Sky TV. Credit was an available but I think harder to get into as much of a problem or as swiftly or as deeply as you can now. 'Social' drugs were available if you knew where to look but not so available as now. Thankfully social media involved going to a pub or the cinema. A much simpler way of life.

To get a mortgage we both had full time jobs and I took on a debt collecting job in the evenings and wife did bar work and office cleaning. I accept that jobs are much harder to come by now but not sure that we thought that we were getting an easy ride through life. Many weeks we bought a tray of eggs and a sack of potatoes and that was food as that was all we could afford.

We are now approaching our sunset and grateful that we were able to keep track of stuff and prepare for the future. Despite the government enforcing those in a job paying into a pension I wonder how young families will accept paying for tomorrow if today is a struggle.

Anyone else have a couple of nights in a guesthouse in Great Yarmouth/Blackpool/Prestatyn once a year? Booted out after breakfast whatever the weather, playing some pennies in the arcades, chips for lunch and probably breaking down on the way home?

I'm another 60's child... Growing up I never went on a family holiday....My father was too busy working to spend time with my mum, me and my brother. He worked a full time job and was involved in running a family business with his brothers. A weekend in London with my brother and my mum was the closest I came to a family holiday...

My mum finally got to go on a holiday with my dad when he retired.... And that holiday was a trip to Australia and they did it on an around the world ticket!!!

NS&I August

Me £0
Wife £350

She's beating me hands down!

£200 This month which is close to my average for this year of £218 per month, with a high of £600 and a low of £75
Or a return of 5,23% which is ok for a tax free return.

Just need that big one to make things interesting.

I never did go on a family holiday as a child. And only four times as an adult, never really understood holidays.
As a child, holidays were just being home from boarding school. Went on scout camps a couple of times. And an air cadet. Camp a couple of times, All of which were fun, learnt to sail a dingy and how to swim in the scouts, and went flying and learned to navigate in the cadets, but not to fly. I was never that interested in just sight seeing. Though for a few years after the war we did live in Sidmouth, which was like a Holliday. Swam across the bay with my eldest brother's friend,, not something my brothers were into though both could swim ok.

£375 for us, hopefully pay the drinks bill in the hotel tomorrow, 7 days wine and water at dinner.

back to zilch for me..

my fixed bonds i did last yr through advice in this thread mature next week..(i left some in premium bonds) probably going to take everyhting out of bonds now and add to fixed interest... hopefully before rates go down.. this time last yr i got 5.50% setup two isa and a fixed rate bond .. now gonna add rest from ernie.. just got an email from RBS saying there interest rates are going down.. so wanna do my fixed rates who are wiht nationwide before they change..

£200 This month which is close to my average for this year of £218 per month, with a high of £600 and a low of £75
Or a return of 5,23% which is ok for a tax free return.

Just need that big one to make things interesting.

thats a better than average return.. i would have stayed in but was only getting about 3% and knew i could get higher elsewhere... guess your either lucky or not :)

thats a better than average return.. i would have stayed in but was only getting about 3% and knew i could get higher elsewhere... guess your either lucky or not :)
My daughter and her husband are doing much better than me this year. However as the pay out is only about %3.5 some people must do rather better than others. At least in the short term.
However when you add in inflation things do not look so good, even with the benefit of payouts being tax free.
As an investment they have very little potential for growth, except for the rare jackpot winners.

Last edited:
My daughter and her husband are doing much better than me this year. However as the pay out is only about %3.5 some people must do rather better than others. At least in the short term.
However when you add in inflation things do not look so good, even with the benefit of payouts being tax free.
As an investment they have very little potential for growth, except for the rare jackpot winners.
My wife and I bought another 2k worth over the phone yesterday and the agent claimed the current average pay out is 4.4 %, not that I'm getting that.

cambsno

Well done to G/f, I'd say she is a keeper.

We are both on max, but never won so much !

£475 between us, of course she had to get the extra £25 over me, now looking smug, b*tch.:ROFLMAO:

Me & wife £100 each, no world cruise yet

Has anyone tried to buy P/Bs for grandchildren ?

We have tried several times, After entering all the details Names& address etc the page just reverts to entry page.
Most frustrating.
The helpline is out of order.

HEEEELP !!

Back