Motorbikes

I have twice been on a bus that has been hit by a car.

I have been almost hit a dozen times by cars running a red light on the pedestrian crossing outside my local railway station.

Today's train derailment reminds me that I used to regularly travel between Cardiff and Paddington during the period of the Ladbroke Grove disaster. I moved to Yorkshire and regularly travelled to Kings Cross. Hatfield, Great Heck, Potters Bar.

And that is why I will never ride on a train, or a bus, in a car, or walk.

I suppose it is about personal attitude more that anything else, because it is true that everything is dangerous and for pretty much anything you can reel off examples to prove why something is dangerous.

That said, there is no denying that riding a motorcycle is a more dangerous activity, though a large part of that is still within the riders control. I believe most motorcycle accidents do not include any other vehicles or people. It is just not for some people, whether a lack of interest or confidence. Some people ride out of necessity, particular urban commuting where the cost of a car is too expensive. But most ride because there is something about it which appeals to them, Which goes from thrill seekers who like the risk to people who are very safe and boring.

I am not entirely boring but definitely not someone who likes danger, my cornering is quite rubbish. And there is an element of necessity as I could not afford to run a car. But I do it because I just like riding. About 90% of my riding is leisure (with my camera in the top box) and 10% visiting family. Ig just lets me clear my head. I suppose the triteness of the freedom and being one with your surroundings are as good an explanation as any.

And I have twice broken bones too. Both times at low speeds when I was a learner, both due to the awful Chinese tyres Yamaha used on their 125s. But understanding what happened and being able to learn from them meant it did not stop me riding. Which I suppose again goes to attitude, because to my mind it made sense what had happened so there was nothing to fear as I could remedy it. Much like I never cross the road outside the railway station until cars have definitely stopped in both lanes no matter that the green man is showing.

But it is just not for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that.

That said, like most bikers, I have had cars pull out in front of me in situations where I could not be missed. So on behalf of all of us, thank you for your vigilance John. Even putting the different risks aside, you would still think other drivers would not want to have a bike smashing into their vehicle just as much as we would not want to do it either. Oddly it seems not.

I wonder what is the year to date comparison, though. April was down 83.5% and May down 50.4% compared to the same month last year. Those I assume are the key months for dealers, when many riders come out of hibernation and look to buy for the summer riding season ahead. And as you had to endure, tests and C.B.T.s were suspended until July 3rd, so plenty of new riders had to wait until last month to be able to buy.

But having been shielding I just wish this stupid weather will end. I need to check my bike over to make sure it is fit to ride, and I have some pannier mounts I need to add, but it is just too hot for me to do for any sort of maintenance. I cannot function when it gets like this.

I just want to be able to get back on my bike again, and so I can take out the Sigma 150-600 lens I bought but still not been able to use yet. I have ridden less miles this year than I did last August alone.

I wonder what is the year to date comparison, though. April was down 83.5% and May down 50.4% compared to the same month last year. Those I assume are the key months for dealers, when many riders come out of hibernation and look to buy for the summer riding season ahead. And as you had to endure, tests and C.B.T.s were suspended until July 3rd, so plenty of new riders had to wait until last month to be able to buy.

But having been shielding I just wish this stupid weather will end. I need to check my bike over to make sure it is fit to ride, and I have some pannier mounts I need to add, but it is just too hot for me to do for any sort of maintenance. I cannot function when it gets like this.

I just want to be able to get back on my bike again, and so I can take out the Sigma 150-600 lens I bought but still not been able to use yet. I have ridden less miles this year than I did last August alone.

Year on year sales are down nearly 17% according to the following:

Chose my registration number today. None of those available were interesting. Should be ready to collect on Tuesday.

I have been almost hit a dozen times by cars running a red light on the pedestrian crossing outside my local railway station.

Today's train derailment reminds me that I used to regularly travel between Cardiff and Paddington during the period of the Ladbroke Grove disaster. I moved to Yorkshire and regularly travelled to Kings Cross. Hatfield, Great Heck, Potters Bar.

I suppose it is about personal attitude more that anything else, because it is true that everything is dangerous and for pretty much anything you can reel off examples to prove why something is dangerous.

That said, there is no denying that riding a motorcycle is a more dangerous activity, though a large part of that is still within the riders control. I believe most motorcycle accidents do not include any other vehicles or people. It is just not for some people, whether a lack of interest or confidence. Some people ride out of necessity, particular urban commuting where the cost of a car is too expensive. But most ride because there is something about it which appeals to them, Which goes from thrill seekers who like the risk to people who are very safe and boring.

I am not entirely boring but definitely not someone who likes danger, my cornering is quite rubbish. And there is an element of necessity as I could not afford to run a car. But I do it because I just like riding. About 90% of my riding is leisure (with my camera in the top box) and 10% visiting family. Ig just lets me clear my head. I suppose the triteness of the freedom and being one with your surroundings are as good an explanation as any.

And I have twice broken bones too. Both times at low speeds when I was a learner, both due to the awful Chinese tyres Yamaha used on their 125s. But understanding what happened and being able to learn from them meant it did not stop me riding. Which I suppose again goes to attitude, because to my mind it made sense what had happened so there was nothing to fear as I could remedy it. Much like I never cross the road outside the railway station until cars have definitely stopped in both lanes no matter that the green man is showing.

That said, like most bikers, I have had cars pull out in front of me in situations where I could not be missed. So on behalf of all of us, thank you for your vigilance John. Even putting the different risks aside, you would still think other drivers would not want to have a bike smashing into their vehicle just as much as we would not want to do it either. Oddly it seems not.

have you thought about doing an advanced rider course with IAM, it really will help you stay that bit safer on the road, be it recognising the dangers and how to avoid them

Not that I disagree that it would be worthwhile for me to undertake advanced training, nor for anyone else, but I have managed okay at recognizing dangers. Despite the best efforts of others at times, I have never hitting anyone or anything.

The first broken bone was in my first year riding. It was on a 90° bend that also had access to a kennels, and which had left mud in the lane. I thought I avoided it, but must have caught the edge. The second one was breaking gently to a red light on a damp but thankfully empty road as I just went over without warning.

That occurred as I passed by a manhole cover (not over it) where the road surface had been filled manually so was very smooth. I knew the stock C.S.T. tyres has a bad reputation, but that was when I learned why. I am sure in hindsight they were the cause of the first accident too, as I was not going fast and only clipped the mud patch, if at all.

But that was all another bike and tens of thousands of miles agp.

Picking it up tomorrow afternoon. Well most of it. Top Box and Upper Engine Bars will be fitted later in the month.

Almost wish I was in the market for a new bike (and liked the adventure style!) Total Triumph in Taunton are knocking out their last 2 800 XCA Tigers for £11,000 including 3 box luggage and a load of other goodies! Crystal white but at that price, you could factor in a decent paint job.

Almost wish I was in the market for a new bike (and liked the adventure style!) Total Triumph in Taunton are knocking out their last 2 800 XCA Tigers for £11,000 including 3 box luggage and a load of other goodies! Crystal white but at that price, you could factor in a decent paint job.

I’ve had the Expedition (Givi Trekker Outback) top box installed, but have decided I’m going to get either soft or semi-rigid panniers for my ride to Spain. I love the Lone Rider Gear system but it’s really expensive.
The bike had its first service last week. I’m absolutely loving it, though the local lockdown has really curtailed where I can take it.
There is a backlog on the upper engine bars, so they won’t be installed till the middle of next month.
Then my shopping list is:
Pannier rack.
Panniers.
Tail bag.
Fog lights.
Front and rear cameras.

I’m also going to treat myself to the RST Pro Adventure-X jacket and trousers.

I finally went out on my bike yesterday for the first time since March. The first time I went out other than a medical appointment since sheilding ended! It took a bit of time getting it back on the road, initially because the chain had rusted from being stood outside without use that some of the links were stuck.

The Givi top box arms has also rusted. So I took the arms off, cleaned them, and gave them a (bad looking) paint job with a rust protective paint. During lockdown I also bought the Givi panniers as they were on offer, so I finally installed the frames I had had sitting around for a year. Also installed some crash bars to replace the bungs which I had had a bad experience with (got home to find one was missing, and had left the end of a screw stuck in the engine).

Obviously I replaced the chain and sprockets, only to then discover a puncture on the edge of the rear tyre where it could not be repaired. The chain was old enough that it I could not be upset about replacing it, but the tyre was a Road 5 and only about 5k miles old. The previous set lasted 18k miles. I also installed a Nemo2 semi-automatic chain oiler (no vacuum for a regular scottoiler and the electric ones are too big and expensive) and replaced the rusted USB sockets.

With the weather nice, my plan yesterday was a trip to Brighton to make sure I was not too rusty, scrub in the tyre, and generally make sure the bike is okay. But also to try out the second hand Canon 15-85 mm lens I bought during lockdown. But when I went to start the bike, it just died. The alarm had broken, so I had already removed it, but it seemed to have drained the battery when it did. Thankfully a few hours on the tickle charger gave it enough power that I could charge it the rest of the way by riding. The ride was okay — the bike was good, other road users less so — but it was so late that it was straight there and back without stopping to use the camera.

I still have a replacement alarm to install, and some huge 4½" LEDs, because the headlamp is useless. That was another reason for wanting crash bars, as the bike did not have a suitable mounting point for lights. I just need to order some cables before I can do those. Not ridden with the panniers yet, not sure how they will feel compared to soft throw-over ones. Plus I will need to be more careful about the extra width, although narrower than the bars but side cases cannot be flexed when filtering like they can.

With the weather fine for Sunday I am looking at visiting my dad for a few days, so will just have to test the panniers that way. Although it will mean I can take my camera if I can find somewhere to stop off on the way. Something I have always wished I could do but was never willing to do with soft luggage simply strapped to the pillion seat.

I finally went out on my bike yesterday for the first time since March. The first time I went out other than a medical appointment since sheilding ended! It took a bit of time getting it back on the road, initially because the chain had rusted from being stood outside without use that some of the links were stuck.

The Givi top box arms has also rusted. So I took the arms off, cleaned them, and gave them a (bad looking) paint job with a rust protective paint. During lockdown I also bought the Givi panniers as they were on offer, so I finally installed the frames I had had sitting around for a year. Also installed some crash bars to replace the bungs which I had had a bad experience with (got home to find one was missing, and had left the end of a screw stuck in the engine).

Obviously I replaced the chain and sprockets, only to then discover a puncture on the edge of the rear tyre where it could not be repaired. The chain was old enough that it I could not be upset about replacing it, but the tyre was a Road 5 and only about 5k miles old. The previous set lasted 18k miles. I also installed a Nemo2 semi-automatic chain oiler (no vacuum for a regular scottoiler and the electric ones are too big and expensive) and replaced the rusted USB sockets.

With the weather nice, my plan yesterday was a trip to Brighton to make sure I was not too rusty, scrub in the tyre, and generally make sure the bike is okay. But also to try out the second hand Canon 15-85 mm lens I bought during lockdown. But when I went to start the bike, it just died. The alarm had broken, so I had already removed it, but it seemed to have drained the battery when it did. Thankfully a few hours on the tickle charger gave it enough power that I could charge it the rest of the way by riding. The ride was okay — the bike was good, other road users less so — but it was so late that it was straight there and back without stopping to use the camera.

I still have a replacement alarm to install, and some huge 4½" LEDs, because the headlamp is useless. That was another reason for wanting crash bars, as the bike did not have a suitable mounting point for lights. I just need to order some cables before I can do those. Not ridden with the panniers yet, not sure how they will feel compared to soft throw-over ones. Plus I will need to be more careful about the extra width, although narrower than the bars but side cases cannot be flexed when filtering like they can.

With the weather fine for Sunday I am looking at visiting my dad for a few days, so will just have to test the panniers that way. Although it will mean I can take my camera if I can find somewhere to stop off on the way. Something I have always wished I could do but was never willing to do with soft luggage simply strapped to the pillion seat.

That Cobrra chain oiler is neat. I’d not seen them before.

Good you’re getting it sorted panniers are so useful to take camera gear I have them on my Suzuki it means I get out on the bike as well as doing some photography and some places it’s easier to find parking for a bike

Panniers are useful full stop! Much as I love the Bobber for getting from A to B, it's hardly the most practical thing if I want to carry any more than a small compact or a paperback. The Speedmaster has a pair of clip on semi rigid leather panniers and a small rack so can take a certain amount of kit. I've even managed to take my golf clubs and a small trolley as well as suitable clothing/shoes. I can take Mrs Nod on the back too!!!

That Cobrra chain oiler is neat. I’d not seen them before.

I got one pretty cheaply, so it was worth the risk of trying it. And installation is basically just mounting the canister on one of the mirror screws then running the tube down to the swing arm.

Far too early to say how effective it is, but it is working as it should. I have filled mine with scotoil as it is supposed to clean and lubricate, so will be interesting to see how often it needs to be done.

There was so much gunk around the front sprocket when I changed it I would love to not have to use lube again, though as my bike it kept outside I may have no choice over winter to protect it from the elements as any il would just wash off.

Good you’re getting it sorted panniers are so useful to take camera gear I have them on my Suzuki it means I get out on the bike as well as doing some photography and some places it’s easier to find parking for a bike

When I started on a 125 I thought I would not want a top box. Then the reality of not being able to leave anything on the bike set in. It was recommended to get the biggest box you can else you will regret running out of space, so I ended up with a 47 litre box which looked stupid on a small bike. But I never regretted it. Thankfully I am not the sporty type.

I attached the panniers this afternoon (and installed the alarm) ahead of tomorrow, and goodness they make the bike look wide. I am also still a little hesitant because they have some give against the frame rather than rigidly fixed at the bottom of the frame. But then I am still amazed at how well a tank bag stays in place with just a few magnets!

So just taking the one lens on the camera this time as I build up confidence with the set up. I have not planned any photo stops, but maybe there will be some laybys with nice views. I have always thought that could be the basis for an interesting book of landscapes, if anyone wants to steal the idea. Hopefully we will get some dry weekends over the autumn to properly go out and play.

Modern O ring chains need far less loobing than older types used to. Just keep it clean - excess oil/grease/lube can (and does) collect dirt and can cause faster wear.

Because my bike has to be kept outside, the main problem with my chain is it rusting. Cover or not seems to make no difference.

Made my first trip with the panniers to visit my dad (somethng now illegal with London going to tier 2), the extra luggage capacity was wonderful. Though I definitely need to buy the inner bags for trips like that. They also survived the trip despite realizing only this morning that I was not attaching them correctly, that the cases has slots in the bottom to hold against the lower part of the frame.

But my fears about the extra size on the bike were realized. I am not a commuter so not a big filterer, but going straight through gaps in stationary traffic seemed okay. But when I had to turn around cars, well, a couple of times I did tap one. I need to get used to a wider turning circle in narrow gaps.

Nice to be back on the bike, though. I managed around 600 miles there and back. But although I took my camera I never got to use it. The weather was not great coming home, my heated grips failed, and I had planned a too-long journey to stop off. I was thinking of going out with the camera at the weekend, but not sure what to do now after the new Covid restrictions. Being "extremely vulnerable" I was already trying to avoid people as much as possible.

After weeks of local lockdown, national travel restrictions are being lifted next week. Can’t wait to get back out for a proper ride.
Just gotta decide where to go!

The weather looks to be getting better this week, dry and bright, so hopefully it stays good for you.

It is the opposite for me. I have only been out three times since shielding, plus the trip to visit my dad and back, so will try to get in a pre-lockdown ride on Wednesday. I have pre-made plans for a trip to either Sussex or Kent, but it will probably the latter as it should be easier to keep socially distanced.

At least the lockdown will give me time to work out how to pack my photo gear. I bought a backpack in the summer that should fit in the top box and hold the new Sigma 150–600 lens. Technically it does, but it is a very tight fit (for both), and the shape means the bag will not fit a pannier. Nor can the panniers accommodate my monopod (as in just the detachable leg and neck of my travel tripod). They do fit in the top box, but only without the camera bag. Argh!

(Though if I need the full tripod, I can just strap its bag to the pillion seat. But I do not want to have to then carry it around if not planning on using it.)

I have been riding for very nearly a half century and I suppose I have been lucky. Yes I have come off but even when travelling reasonably quickly I have got away with scrapes and bruises. Ironically I broke my collar bone after taking evasive action to avoid errant lambs, I took to the hard shoulder on a moorland road crossed a patch of gravel and the front wheel dropped into a pothole filled with water. I then promptly fell off sideways when the bike had stopped.
Most of the long distance riding I have done since 2000 has been on the continent and found that they are far more aware of a rider and usually give them the room the need. Germany and Austria are heaven sent for motorcyclists..

After weeks of local lockdown, national travel restrictions are being lifted next week. Can’t wait to get back out for a proper ride.
Just gotta decide where to go!
Yep me too hoping to get out next week on the bike, am going stir crazy but keeping sane I’m completely rebuilding my Yamaha YPVS MK 1 , the bike in my sig

Had an awesome 127 mile ride to Builth Wells and back today. Programmed the SayNav to find a windy and hilly route for the outbound leg. Felt so good to be able to travel again.
Saw some lovely parts of Wales I’d never seen before, then had a lovely lunch there before riding back.
The only negative is that I’ll have to jet wash the bike tomorrow!

We are supposed to be having a lockdown in England, but looking at the guidelines published today on the YouGov website there are more holes in these 'guidelines' you could almost drive a coach and horses through them. The way the guidelines are written, they seem to far more interested in clamping down on groups of people getting together behind closed doors.
I will try to clarify this and if it is OK, I may try a shortish ride tomorrow. I will be on my own because I don't like riding with others or with a pillion so I will not be mixing with anyone.

I drove down to my partners house today (she is my bubble) and the level of traffic was not a lot different to a normal working day so it seems it will be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a blog entry from a notable firm of motorcycle solicitors on the restrictions in England:

I do not agree that just going on a ride would meets the requirement that you may leave you home "to visit a public outdoor place for the purposes of open air recreation" if it does not also include visiting a place. It certainly violates the spirit of the law, though the reality is that if you are out an on your own you will be unlikely to be stopped (it is not anywhere near as strict as the original lockdown), and even if you were you would just be told to go home anyway.

Although I am "clinically extremely vulnerable" I am not planning on going anywhere despite the advice being I can leave home for medical appointments and for exercise. Which, living in London, can only be safely done if I ride my bike to somewhere outside the city. Yesterday I had to go to hospital, and but for the non-essential shops being closed I would have not noticed a difference as there were plenty of people out and about. Incidentally, non-essential apparently includes the clothes shop in the hospital reception, which seems wrong to me.

Although the government have said they are not advising shielding this time, what they are advising is exactly the same as the shielding advice issued from June 1st. So I also feel a bit screwed over after my MOT was extended during the first lockdown to the end of this month. Because this time testing will continue despite the restrictions, the government are effectively saying they expect me to visit an MOT tester against the government's advice for me to not visit anyone.

But I need to do a little work on the bike first anyway, just to tidy up my custom wiring as it is a mess under the seat. The post here has been badly delayed so although I ordered some ring terminals three weeks ago to be able to do the work, they only arrived today. I will get that done, as I can work privately on the bike, and will then try to book a service and MOT. With so many fair-weathered riders hopefully they will not be busy.

But I need to do a little work on the bike first anyway, just to tidy up my custom wiring as it is a mess under the seat. The post here has been badly delayed so although I ordered some ring terminals three weeks ago to be able to do the work, they only arrived today. I will get that done, as I can work privately on the bike, and will then try to book a service and MOT. With so many fair-weathered riders hopefully they will not be busy.

Can I ask where you went to get your wiring ring terminals. I have used a company in Ilkeston in Derbyshire for many years (Vehicle Wiring Products 0115 930 5454) and they have always sent the items I have ordered taking no longer that 48 hours, but usually the next day. They are also quite biased towards motorcycles and have much more in their catalogue (A paper one!) that you would think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had all 3 of my bikes MOTed during lockdown. At no time was I within 2 metres of the tester. He asked me to leave the bike at the door, wheeled it into the garage, did the test then wheeled it back with the contactless card machine on the seat. I waved the card at the machine and moved back, he swapped the machine for the printed certificate and moved away - job done and dusted.

I have given up the idea of having a little ride today. It is not in the spirit of the lock down and it is threatening to drizzle. Instead I am going to have a play in the darkroom with a Leitz Automat enlarger and try to print good, and irreplaceable B&W.

I have given up the idea of having a little ride today. It is not in the spirit of the lock down and it is threatening to drizzle. Instead I am going to have a play in the darkroom with a Leitz Automat enlarger and try to print good, and irreplaceable B&W.

I had a ride to the local Triumph dealer then jet-washed my Tiger.

Can I ask where you went to get your wiring ring terminals. I have used a company in Ilkeston in Derbyshire for many years (Vehicle Wiring Products 0115 930 5454) and they have always sent the items I have ordered taking no longer that 48 hours, but usually the next day. They are also quite biased towards motorcycles and have much more in their catalogue (A paper one!) that you would think.

The problem was definitely a postal delay and not the company, which was an eBay seller in Leeds. Unfortunately it was only after making the order I discovered that a lot of people locally have been complaining to Royal Mail about delays of up to a month to deliver post. I knew things had been bad previously, but not having used Royal Mail much I did not know it had been getting worse.

But for small items which can be posted as a letter the only alternative to waiting is to pay several times the item value for courier delivery, or several times the value getting it from Amazon as part of a set with various other sizes, gauges, and items I do not need. That is why I never just ordered from somewhere else.

I am also still waiting for some 1A fuses from China, that were shipped on October 21st and handed to Royal Mail on the 31st. If they are delayed by the same amount they should arrive next Monday.

A shame to waste a dry day, but my hand are in too much pain to work on the bike today. It seems appropriate though, as being immunosuppressed for arthritis is the main reason I had to shield.

Thanks for the description, Nod. That all sounds pretty safe, but unfortunately with a service too it would mean leaving the bike and having to return home and collect it on public transport. Something I would rather avoid as much as possible. The last time I went to hospital before the lockdown was announced was on the bus, and even then it felt rather uncomfortable.

I can do most basic tasks myself, but the hassle of getting to the spark plugs is too much and so why mess with fluids unnecessarily either! Besides I would like an expert to check my breaks as after standing over spring and summer, the rear break seems a lot sharper than the front one.

mij.. The packages I have had from the supplier in Ilkeston have all been in a padded envelope and the charge is (was the last time I used them) £3.95 up to 2Kg via to post office and then it goes up to £9.75 because they use a courier. You can get a lot of bits and pieces in a 2 Kg parcel!

Dad used to import crimp on electrical connectors until he retired. Sold the business and stock locally but I never saw any ads for it - probably just flogged the stock on (Dad just wanted shot of the business and stock so sold it cheap and fast.)

Dad used to import crimp on electrical connectors until he retired. Sold the business and stock locally but I never saw any ads for it - probably just flogged the stock on (Dad just wanted shot of the business and stock so sold it cheap and fast.)

Any chance of a look at your Bobber? I’m loving all those retro bikes that Triumph do. I was drooling over the Scrambler 1200 and Bonneville Black earlier.

mij.. The packages I have had from the supplier in Ilkeston have all been in a padded envelope and the charge is (was the last time I used them) £3.95 up to 2Kg via to post office and then it goes up to £9.75 because they use a courier. You can get a lot of bits and pieces in a 2 Kg parcel!

Unfortunately I only needed two yellow ring terminals, which were £2.25 delivered for a pack of 10. So even £3.95 for delivery is more than double, and would still have faced the same delivery problem.

I had some 12 AWG fuse holders and was able to crimp a blue ring terminal on those. So I got some supposedly corresponding 4mm² cable for the earth side, but that was too thick for blues ones which is why I needed yellow. Although that gauge is almost certainly over the top in hindsight, 4mm sounds a lot smaller than it is, it would have been more expensive and no quicker to have ordered thinner cable instead of the terminals. And all my accessories such as lights, 12V sockets etc. would be connected to those cables so better to be too thick than too thin.

I never use crimp on connectors. They are insulated which serve as a reservoir for damp and this promotes corrosion. The resulting slurry can be the source of a lot of electrical problems on motor vehicles, and motorcycles in particular. I always solder connections I have to repair and have yet to have one of my repairs fail. Even on motorcycles like BMW (like my 2 x K75's) the joints are for the main part crimped which resulted in the voltage at the battery of 13.4 when the motor was running being reduced to around 10.8 to 11V. These were checked at the multi plugs where they plug into the lights, Indicators and heated grips. It took me weeks of work over last winter, installing extra heavy duty earth wires and splitting apart multiplugs and cleaning them, then waterproofing both halves of the connectors to restore the voltages to what it was when the bike left the factory in 1986. My 2nd one, also from 1986, is on the ramp now and will be done ready for the spring.

I do take crimp connectors when I am over in Europe in case I have an emergency repair to make, but always do a soldered joint when I get home.

Back