Motorbikes

You up for another wee run?

Which is it? A wee or the runs? I know Harleys can shake anything loose (which is why their riders are always grinning - it's to stop their fillings falling out!!! :p)

well a great week running round Scotland is always fun, still finding new places to go and ways to get there, went up through the Kielder forest this time and il definitely be going that way again, some lovely roads, little phone shot on the way back down, again on the east coast at carter bar on the A68

bordersmall.jpg

Which is it? A wee or the runs? I know Harleys can shake anything loose (which is why their riders are always grinning - it's to stop their fillings falling out!!! :p)

Wee run ....... everytime I run the kitchen tap, apparently, it's an age thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Nod
So, got my tyres checked today and whilst they are physically fine, they're 'out of date' (2013 front, 2014 rear) and I've been advised to change them. I'd been meaning to do a light resto on my bike over last winter but I built the new PC instead. The tyres can go on my resto list now as my bike will be sorned from October onwards and I'm hoping to start the resto on it this year now.

On the way home, had to pop into the bike shop. I like the Yamaha MT07 and they had 4 used ones, as well as a few new. I looked at a 2016 one, just over 3000 miles from new and it looked practically new too. Tempted...... but do I p/ex the CBR against it, or look for a cheaper MT and buy it outright?

I really do think I'd regret selling the CBR.

I had a 954cc FireBlade, best bike I ever had, and it wasn't too focused either. Sold it when I did my knee for 2nd time, bending onto a sports bike is something my knee wasn't able to do for about 3 years. Can't see me getting another bike again now, even more of me is broken!!!

Was having a really good rideout this afternoon in the sunshine, that was until a Wasp stung me in the leg at the top on the inside through my jeans. It was like a hot needle in the inner thigh and noe it just aches to bug**ry.

Woe is me. :mad: But I have a cure.... :beer::beer::beer:

Could have been worse for a couple of inches though. :oops: :$

Was having a really good rideout this afternoon in the sunshine, that was until a Wasp stung me in the leg at the top on the inside through my jeans. It was like a hot needle in the inner thigh and noe it just aches to bug**ry.

happened to mate of mine , we were riding along when Tony who was at the front suddenly pulled up and started taking his trousers off on the pavement..just wish id had a camera on my phone like we all carry nowadays :p:p:p

happened to mate of mine , we were riding along when Tony who was at the front suddenly pulled up and started taking his trousers off on the pavement..just wish id had a camera on my phone like we all carry nowadays :p:p:p

For context, I'm not a huge fan of spiders.

I didn't get stung by anything, although I did feel something barely noticeable on my forehead, not long after pulling away from the house last time out. It got a bit more noticeable a couple of miles down the road, to the point I felt the urge to scratch it. I couldn't of course, by now I'm up to 60 mph , or so. :angelic:

I decided to live with it until I could pull over, it was at that point I saw the first wriggly signs of legs, a little blurry but no mistake.

A spider had obviously taken up residence in my helmet since my MOT a few weeks ago.

I would normally panic but I thought that wouldn't be good and I managed to pull over not long after.

Funny thing was, it was quite a small spider, about the size of a 20p coin, but at 60 and so close to my face, it was rather unsettling.

All ended well though,, Spidey got a new home and I didn't break any bones, so a good day all round. (y)

Last edited:
For context, I'm not a huge fan of spiders.

I didn't get stung by anything, although I did feel something barely noticeable on my forehead, not long after pulling away from the house last time out. It got a bit more noticeable a couple of miles down the road, to the point I felt the urge to scratch it. I couldn't of course, by now I'm up to 60 mph , or so. :angelic:

I decided to live with it until I could pull over, it was at that point I saw the first wriggly signs of legs, a little blurry but no mistake.

A spider had obviously taken up residence in my helmet since my MOT a few weeks ago.

I would normally panic but I thought that wouldn't be good and I managed to pull over not long after.

Funny thing was, it was quite a small spider, about the size of a 20p coin, but at 60 and so close to my face, it was rather unsettling.

All ended well though,, Spidey got a new home and I didn't break any bones, so a good day all round. (y)
I had that a few years ago I went out on my bike to a river looking for dragonflies parked up and put my helmet on the grass next to my bike a few hours later when riding home I felt something crawling on my head :oops: :$
stopped quickly took my helmet off , there was a spider inside

ah well off on a quick break to Spain with my missus in the morning , so no riding for me for a week...unless i hire a scooter for a quick fix

I used to ride with my jacket sleeves over my gloves. That was until a wasp flew up into my sleeve.
Took me a few minutes to get stopped and remove the jacket, by which time in I'd been stung several times.
Should have taught me a lesson, but a couple of years later I had my visor open - you can work out the rest...
However, even worse was in the late '70's on the day I moved back to London, riding fast on the A40 overpass into town with my visor open when a pigeon flew sideways into my head, it's beak cut my eyelid and I got a face full of feathers and blood. I came to a halt without coming off, and while trying to work out what damage was done when Tommy Steele drew up to see if I was OK. I truly thought I'd died and gone to somewhere very odd.
Possibly the very worst was when I got knocked off my bike by a drunk and then met a nurse in hospital. That was 37 years ago and we are still together..

Last edited:

"Nurse, can you give me something for the pain - but leave the swelling!"

Hoping for half decent weather on Friday. After 3 weeks away, I'm missing 2 wheels! Too knackered today and too busy tomorrow but I think Friday might have a few spare hours!

Last ride for a couple of weeks for me tonight, just a couple of miles to a local bike night...knee surgery looming for me Monday morning and surgeon expecting 3 weeks recovering...its going to seem a lot longer

Good luck with the surgery, hope it cures the problem.

3ca8d225317e498f0fc413d1c0f666852b766a41_2_795x748.jpg

Way back in this thread I think I mentioned that I was thinking of swapping out the ZRX1200. I finally did so. This is the new steed - still a Kawasaki and still green, but about half the engine size, and a lot lighter. Instead of being 22 years old it's a 22 plate, so much newer and will run on E10 fuel!

53220073815_397cdda543_z.jpg

I'd still use E5 rather than E10 in it!

Good looking bike - enjoy!

MOT today. Motorcycle passed with flying colours as usual. Garage owner smirked at my 'gentle' and 'careful' remounting of the machine to ride home. I had to explain to him that as you approach 70 years of age it gets harder to get your leg over.

Reactions: zx9
Hard enough at 60 sometimes!

Way back in this thread I think I mentioned that I was thinking of swapping out the ZRX1200. I finally did so. This is the new steed - still a Kawasaki and still green, but about half the engine size, and a lot lighter. Instead of being 22 years old it's a 22 plate, so much newer and will run on E10 fuel!

53220073815_397cdda543_z.jpg
That looks very nice.

The E10 / E5 petrol debate is a bit confused, yes E5 is more stable and takes on less water than E10 but most folk focus on the E10 will destroy your fuel , not realising that anything sold in California since the mid 90's had to run E10 and was jetted or mapped to do so. Cars are much more region specific bikes much less so, the post 05 cats equipped bikes are no better as most are not true closed loop not looking at per and post cat lamda.
As for post 2016 compulsory ABS... that is another rant of mine.

The extra cost of E5 (Super) over E10 is partly (if not fully) offset by the better fuel consumption that it gives, not to mention that the 5% is the maximum Ethanol content - some batches/brands have none!

Other than a deliberate test of the rear ABS on one of my bikes, I've never triggered it.

MOT today. Motorcycle passed with flying colours as usual. Garage owner smirked at my 'gentle' and 'careful' remounting of the machine to ride home. I had to explain to him that as you approach 70 years of age it gets harder to get your leg over.
Mine passed it's MOT yesterday after the expected two new tyres were supplied and fitted by the MOT'ing bike shop.
The old ones were the original fitment by Kawasaki 25 years ago, long over due for replacement when I took it off the road in Autumn 2018.
My parting comment from the MOT man was along the lines of 'very clean future classic', it is a 1998 ZX9R C2 with 8,000 km on the clock.
I am looking forward to Sunday the 1st October when it will be taxed for the first time since Covid got in the way.

1998 is probably old enough to feature in Classic Bike!

The extra cost of E5 (Super) over E10 is partly (if not fully) offset by the better fuel consumption that it gives, not to mention that the 5% is the maximum Ethanol content - some batches/brands have none!

Other than a deliberate test of the rear ABS on one of my bikes, I've never triggered it.
Back in the 1980's as a learner on a knobbly tyre equipped XL125, there were a couple of times when ABS would have saved my heart rate going up considerably but you learn much from early errors.

My old CG125 had ABS - well, I could never stand on the pedal or pull the lever hard enough to lock either end!

1998 is probably old enough to feature in Classic Bike!
:) Who would have thought it all those years ago when I rode off on a new bike. That was my only new bike ever shortly after that I bought my only ever new car which we sold last year, it had nearly 200,000 miles on it and was getting very needy of both time and money.

6ee57c9274203438d856609dc26755c2cd987457.jpeg

Good luck with the surgery, hope it cures the problem.
It was surgery to remove the plate and pins from my tibial plateau( the bit at the top of my shin bone), I broke it 4 years ago and when they were repairing it the surgeon left a 10mm gap in my tibia..I'd broken my fibula and ripped my medial collateral ligament at the same time..anyway due to the gap its been gouging a hole in my femur when I walk so I need a total knee replacement, they actually attempted to take out the plate last Easter but I vomited under the anaesthetic, aspirated and stopped breathing for a whilst they initially couldn't intubate me so I was as good as dead until another anaesthetist came in and managed to get the tube down my throat..woke up 2 days later in a different hospital in intensive care on a ventilator...since then the anaesthetists have been a bit reluctant to put me to sleep, I had 2 consultant anaesthetists and a registrar on Monday...then decided to do it awake under a spinal block, not that I was worried of dying, more so I could get home quicker as they initially booked me a bed on itu just to be safe, I spent the operation watching match of the day and an old auf wiedersehen pet on my phone, ispend all my time in work in and out of hospital so the last place I wanted to be on my day off was back in so I refused pre-med and told them to give me the bare minimum of spinal block, had the operation at 10am and walked out the hospital at 16.30, a couple of days of pain that required me to go back on some morphine but I've been just taking normal analgesia now and trying to walk as much, I can feel its a bit wobbly when I do and it pulls on the mcl but I've managed to get it bent back to what it was pre-op, so il be out on the bike tomorrow, see how I get on, going to head to the peak district

as you can see i can bend it quite well, no load bearing when im on the bike, staples out monday and physio tuesday, they will give me a better idea how its gone

leg.jpg

Fingers crossed for today's trip - hope the weather cooperates!

Fingers crossed for today's trip - hope the weather cooperates!
Wasn't bad, did 188 miles round the peak district, would have done more but the cat and fiddle was closed in part of it and I'd planned on going over it both ways so had to reroute down some little back roads full of gravel and grass, weather help out I had 15 minutes of light rain that dosnt matter as I had gortex jacket/ gloves and boots on so well protected, just glad to be back on the bike , needed some pain killers at lunch in matlock bath but apart from that I was sound, out on the bike tonight to a bike night and il be out Sunday with the boys

I see the soon-to-be-released Triumph 400's prices have been announced - Just under 5 grand for the road going version and just under 5.6 grand for the scrambler one. The Royal Enfield Himalayan (a 400cc off roader) is 4 grand...

Back