My Lad's new toy, Triumph Tiger 800.

Wow, a non-Japanese motorbike ... it is isn't it? :thinking:
Remember the Tiger Cub with much affection :D

Wow, a non-Japanese motorbike ... it is isn't it? :thinking:
Remember the Tiger Cub with much affection :D
Well, almost! Partly parts made in Taiwan and built in Hinkley, UK.
Had a Tiger Cub 200 myself in the 60s, but started with a Beezer Bantam, ended up with a Bonnie, but gave up when I wrote it off in N Wales!
In between somewhere, I had a Royal Enfield GT 250cc, fastest 250 of the day, loved that bike!

Also had an AJS 250 :D

Learnt to ride on a Triumph Tiger 500 around the lake in Portishead - private road. My first bike was a Royal Enfield 250 Clipper (tourer version of the GT), followed by a RE 350 Bullet, Suzuki T500R, Suzuki RE5, Suzuki 750, Laverda Jota, Norton Commando 850 Interstate and finally RE 750 Interceptor - which I still own.

I've owned more bikes than cameras :)

Learnt to ride on a Triumph Tiger 500 around the lake in Portishead - private road. My first bike was a Royal Enfield 250 Clipper (tourer version of the GT), followed by a RE 350 Bullet, Suzuki T500R, Suzuki RE5, Suzuki 750, Laverda Jota, Norton Commando 850 Interstate and finally RE 750 Interceptor - which I still own.

Hell fire, this is turning into 'All Our Yesterdays' !!!

VERY briefly I also had a James 125, Franny Barnett 125, Sun 125 all nostalgic names but crap bikes!
I had my mates Matchless G12 CSR for 5 months when he went abroad with his job, didn't want to give it back!

Hope he enjoys it when the sun shines again!

Learned on a 3250 LC (side panels were 250, engine wasn't...) then, when the mate who owned it killed himself on it, had a few years off 2 wheels until taking it back up on a GP100 which got nicked and a CG125 which got me my test. A GS550 followed then a friend went off to work in the Gulf for a while and needed his bike battery charged, tyres kept going round etc so I had the use of an 88" Shovel for 18 months or so. I now know exactly why Harley riders always have a grin on their face - it stops their fillings falling out!!! After the GS started falling to pieces and got given away, I decided I fancied a big Brit single but didn't really fancy the usual oil leaks and unreliability that comes with them so I compromised a little and bought a brand new Royal Enfield Bullet 500 EFI which I still have, although it's currently off the road until I get my license back... Tempted by a larger bike of some sort - I rather fancy that Tiger's big brother if I can find one at the right price (Rocket 3).

So, roughly how many is that then Steve..?

I saved from the age of 6 to get my first bike, a BSA Bantam 125 when I hit 8. I had a few more, including a Tiger Cub then got a Matchless with sidecar aged 10. Trouble with that was that I couldn't kickstart it, and I forgot it had a sidecar when I rode over a flat bridge over a river and it toppled over into the river where it stayed for many months. I went on to do schoolboy scrambles on George Todd tuned Bantams alongside people like Graham Noyce and Perry Leask who were always way better than me and had Bultaco's or whatever..
I had one of the early Triumph Tigers from Hinkley alongside a Suzuki Bandit 1200 (and a CCM that was vaguely road legal that lived in the sitting room where it was fired up most evenings for the fun of it) and met my wife when in hospital having been knocked off a Yamaha 600 by a drunk. At the last count I was up to 41 bikes. Despite my first SLR being a Chinon (a Dixon's special) I doubt I have had more than 20 cameras. Must make amends...!

So, roughly how many is that then Steve..?

I may have miscalculated: it's 9 bikes (the 8 in post #5 above plus a BMW R75 which I missed off the list) vs just 5 digital cameras (2xcompact; 3xDSLR) and at least 5 film cameras that I remember :)

I saved from the age of 6 to get my first bike, a BSA Bantam 125 when I hit 8. I had a few more, including a Tiger Cub then got a Matchless with sidecar aged 10. Trouble with that was that I couldn't kickstart it, and I forgot it had a sidecar when I rode over a flat bridge over a river and it toppled over into the river where it stayed for many months. I went on to do schoolboy scrambles on George Todd tuned Bantams alongside people like Graham Noyce and Perry Leask who were always way better than me and had Bultaco's or whatever..
I had one of the early Triumph Tigers from Hinkley alongside a Suzuki Bandit 1200 (and a CCM that was vaguely road legal that lived in the sitting room where it was fired up most evenings for the fun of it) and met my wife when in hospital having been knocked off a Yamaha 600 by a drunk. At the last count I was up to 41 bikes. Despite my first SLR being a Chinon (a Dixon's special) I doubt I have had more than 20 cameras. Must make amends...!

My bike purchasing days ended when I got married - SWMBO hates them! I bought the Interceptor in 1972 as a box of bits for just £50. It was one of a batch that was about to be shipped out to RE's factory in India for assembly when Norton bought the company and stopped the shipment. The bikes were moved to the Norton race team's base at Thruxton and I got it from them. It sat in the box until 2012 when I decided it was time to build it - the complete bike was there but nothing had been assembled so it was a case of putting the whole thing together from scratch. A bit like an airfix kit ... without the instructions :) I absolutely love it!

Last edited:
That'll be you "getting in touch with your feminine side"!

Steve, when you built the Interceptor, did it qualify as a brand new bike?

ALWAYS been in touch with that;) just got to look at my 'speshul' name!

<<<<<

Yeah, DVLA insisted on giving it a new registration number so I purchased a period one from them as a cherished plate. They were, in fact, quite helpful - not something I normally expect to say about DVLA :)

Well, it is a brand new bike! As for the inefficiency of the DVLA, I'd better leave it before I call their medical department the most inept, inefficient bunch of useless .... Well, let's just say that I'm more than a little frustrated by them!

Back