Beginner New to me, old Retro Canon 40D. Beginners corner.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some photos from this old beginner. Just on auto for now as I learn. Little country lane at the back of my house. Yesterday, 06/07/24.
Canon 40D with the EF-S 80-250mm IS STM lens.
Are these ok for now folks? My aim is to start exploring the manual settings slowly.
40D 55-200MM AUTO Best small.jpg
Canon 40D Auto (10) small.jpg

Lumix G10 Auto (5)small.jpg

Canon 40D Auto (23)small.jpg

Last edited:
You seem to be doing fine - the 40D is still a very capable camera and should give you excellent service.

Look fine to me too. The 2nd one is particularly nice.

40D - Retro? I'm feeling old now :)
Well at 17 years old, it is a bit retro compared to new cameras. But I know what you mean. My last camera was a Pentax 35mm film camera that my dad gave me 52 years ago.:)

I used to have a 50D and loved it! 40D is a cracking camera..
I still have and occasionally use a 50D, it’s a very good camera as is the 40D.

@Sgt_Jack006 - Welcome to the forum. It really is a friendly place and a great resource.

I am experimenting with some of the other settings. Really enjoying my new hobby. My conifer tree this morning in the rain.

40D portrait setting (2)small 200mm.jpg
small 10.jpg
Lumix G10 Auto (5)small.jpg

Last edited:
I still have and occasionally use a 50D, it’s a very good camera as is the 40D.

@Sgt_Jack006 - Welcome to the forum. It really is a friendly place and a great resource.
Thank you for the welcome. What I like about the 40D is its size and weight and build quality. My friend has a more modern 18mp Canon EOS, can't remember the model but its so light and plasticky compared to my 40D. :)

Thank you for the welcome. What I like about the 40D is its size and weight and build quality. My friend has a more modern 18mp Canon EOS, can't remember the model but its so light and plasticky compared to my 40D. :)
Yes, up to the 50D, the xxD series cameras are solid, with a metal alloy body.

For 60D through to 90D, they went over to polycarbonate and are slightly smaller, though still bigger than the xxxD series. My other half has an 80D and it’s a very capable camera, though I prefer to use my 7DII which is similar size and construction to the 50D..

The 7D MkII is the last of the metal bodied crop-sensor prosumer DSLRs from Canon. Like a lot of people I was hoping Canon would bring out a 7DIII as swansong for the series, but alas it didn’t happen.

Yes, up to the 50D, the xxD series cameras are solid, with a metal alloy body.

For 60D through to 90D, they went over to polycarbonate and are slightly smaller, though still bigger than the xxxD series. My other half has an 80D and it’s a very capable camera, though I prefer to use my 7DII which is similar size and construction to the 50D..

The 7D MkII is the last of the metal bodied crop-sensor prosumer DSLRs from Canon. Like a lot of people I was hoping Canon would bring out a 7DIII as swansong for the series, but alas it didn’t happen.
The 7D is probably my next purchase. If I can find one at a reasonable price. I prefer the heavier well made cameras.(y)

Started off with a 300D then went to a 40D. Great camera one of Canons best in my opinion. Went from that to a 5d2 then 1d3 but still have a soft spot for the 40D.

Sadly that kit got heavy on my damaged shoulder so I went to Fuji. I've thought of getting a 40D and a few older lenses to carry with me on my daily drives.

Great set of pictures with a more than capable camera.

You'll be wanting the 7Dmk2. The Mk 1 was a bit disappointing and you'd be better off keeping the 40D IMHO.
Oh I'll be keeping my minty, low shutter count 40D. I love it. (y)

small 9.jpg

Last edited:
The 7D is probably my next purchase. If I can find one at a reasonable price. I prefer the heavier well made cameras.(y)

Dont, from my own personal experience, would be my advice. I've owned both, 'upgraded' from the 40D to the 7D. The 40D was a much nicer experience, with IMHO, a much better sensor.

I sold both cameras. Do I regret selling my 7D? No, I don't!

Do I regret selling my 40D? Definately........ to the point I'm considering buying a used one.

The Mk 1 was a bit disappointing and you'd be better off keeping the 40D IMHO.

:plus1:

Dont, from my own personal experience, would be my advice. I've owned both, 'upgraded' from the 40D to the 7D. The 40D was a much nicer experience, with IMHO, a much better sensor.

I sold both cameras. Do I regret selling my 7D? No, I don't!

Do I regret selling my 40D? Definately........ to the point I'm considering buying a used one.

:plus1:
Thanks. Advice taken on board. I was lucky lately getting a boxed secondhand 40D in mint condition with two lenses and a very low shutter count of 6290 for a 100 quid. It is a very nice camera. (y)

Hi Andy.

I missed the 40D. My first DSLR was the 300D and the 10D and 20D followed it. I had the 20D for 7 years before going for a 5D and that was my last DSLR as I went mirrorless.

Just a note on settings. I used Aperture priority until the shutter speed drops too low and I then switch to manual. I don't see a lot of point in trying to take as much manual control as possible unless it's absolutely necessary as the more things you have to do the less you are free to concentrate on what really matters, the subject, the framing and when to press the shutter button. I think the semi auto modes like Aperture priority are the best as you have some control whist the camera takes care of other things enabling you to concentrate more on the picture.

Good luck with it. You've certainly made a good start :D

The 40d was a very decent camera in it's day, yes it's a bit old now, but it's still a perfectly good camera, as your pics show. I have the 30d which I still use a fair bit, thats a fair bit older.

I would not have the 7D again even if it was given to me.......the mk2 on the other hand I am told was a much improved sensor.

On the other hand I found the 5D mk3 a lovely full frame camera :)

Attachments

• new wallpaper plants best.jpg
    new wallpaper plants best.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Todays efforts experimenting with AV mode, Sigma DC EX 18-50mm lens.

The riverside cottage.
IMG_0990small.jpg

The bridge to nowhere.......
IMG_0991small.jpg

The view from the bridge to nowhere......
IMG_0992small.jpg

Latest attempt at some macro.........

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1021.JPG

I call this one the "Rusty Nail".

small nail.jpg

Some more beginner experiments with my Canon 40D. Just loving taking photos. :) (y)

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

Back