East Anglia Newmarket gallops

Name
David Williams
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone gone to the Newmarket gallops to photograph the race horses being trained/exercised?

I drove through Newmarket very early one morning as the horses were crossing the main road towards the gallops, and as it was a bit misty and the sun was coming up I thought "ah that looks interesting"

It seems there are several places where you can park adjacent to the gallops, and there are understandably lots of prominent "don't go in here" signs on the fences but the view from the roadside looks quite usable.

Just wondering if anyone has a bit more information about the way the horses are ridden, would you be likely to see them pass multiple times from a single point, walking / trotting cantering / galloping??

Thanks in advance

David

Early morning is probably best time for the horses to be exercised - I have not been since before lockdown - but did go fairly regularly before. None of the jockeys (probably more likely stable lads) seemed interested or upset if you take pictures. They'll be all over the training grounds in Newmarket.

Back