Nikon D40 to a D70

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I know the D70 is an older model than the D40, but if I can get the D70 body cheap enough is it worth the change?(mainly for the cheaper 2nd hand lens prices over the D40 style lens with the built in motor). Would like to have gone to a D80 but can't really justify the price at the moment.

thanks

Jonathan

You should be able to more-or-less do a straight swap from a D40 to a D70. Try and find a 70s if you can though, the bigger rear LCD is worth the extra few pounds.

I sold off one of my D70 to "upgrade" to a D40! With the D40 being smaller, lighter it made for an excellent P&S! Mind, I did miss the built-in motor for non-AF-S lenses.

That said, as FITP mentioned, you ought to be able to get a 1:1 swap with your D40 .... I sold my D70 back in 2007 for £250 ... used ones today ought to fetch in the region of £150 ~ £200.

I sold off one of my D70 to "upgrade" to a D40! With the D40 being smaller, lighter it made for an excellent P&S! Mind, I did miss the built-in motor for non-AF-S lenses.

That said, as FITP mentioned, you ought to be able to get a 1:1 swap with your D40 .... I sold my D70 back in 2007 for £250 ... used ones today ought to fetch in the region of £150 ~ £200.

I actually find the D40 a little small for my hands. I've seen a few secondhand ones kicking about for £200 with kit lens, and i've also missed out on bargain lenses due to them not having the built in motor.

Just feel I may regret not holding off for a few months and picking up a D80 a little cheaper with people upgrading over Christmas etc.

I had a d40x and a d70 at the same time and hardly ever used the d40x. Apart from the small rear screen (as Flash says try for a d70s) the d70 is a match for the d40 in every respect.
Not sure the wait for a d80 would be worth it to be honest, its a good camera but not that much better than the d70. Probably better off getting a d70 and saving like a mad thing for a d90, now thats an upgrade.

Andy

Cheers guys, I take it could still use the other lenses which I'd bought for the D40 on the D70, how would this work? Would the AF switch on the lens need to be switched to M? Or will the lens know it doesn't need to use the inbuilt motor?

Oh yes, it is far too small for my hands too, the D40 that is! I hate that part, but love its' portability vs. the D700 / D300.

If you can hold on, do so. The D80 is a lot better than a D70; but, and again, as FITP suggested .. look at the D70s, that may be a good middle ground to move on to.

All lenses that work on the D40 will happily work on the D70 .. if they're autofocus lenses, then they'll autofocus just fine (y)

Thanks Wail, i'll have a look about and see if anything cheap pops up.

Never even considered a D50. Could be the cheapest way to expend my lens collection.

Well a wee update. Managed to get a D70s on the Bay for £150! Will need to punt the D40 now, and get lens hunting!

As D40 owner I am now finding I might of rushed into this, and not thought about future upgrading of the lenses!

Is the D70s on a par picture quality with the D40? And is it just as easy to use?

Thanks

As D40 owner I am now finding I might of rushed into this, and not thought about future upgrading of the lenses!

Is the D70s on a par picture quality with the D40? And is it just as easy to use?

Thanks
I'll let you know how I get on with it, but as far I can see they are pretty much on a par quality wise. The D70s has a 0.5" smaller screen than the D40, but the draw of the choice of lens for the cameras with a built in AF Motor was too much of a draw for me.

Thanks

Yes, I believe it is. The only thing it might not be as good at is keeping noise down at higher ISO and the screens a little smaller.

Andy

Back